[Article]-So You Want To Hack For A Living?

<<

don

Administrator
Administrator

Post Thu Aug 10, 2006 4:49 pm

[Article]-So You Want To Hack For A Living?

It's been in the works for a while, but I hope the end result was worth the wait. This article that takes you from the very first thought of getting some sort of pen testing cert all the way through the exam result. I like to think of it as the definitive guide to security boot camps and the CEH credential.

So You Want To Hack For A Living

As always, I'm interested in your feedback,
Don
CISSP, MCSE, CSTA, Security+ SME
<<

Kev

Post Thu Aug 10, 2006 10:02 pm

Re: [Article]-So You Want To Hack For A Living?

Very well done! Anyone thinking of taking a CEH boot camp will benefit a great deal if they read this.  Also, it sounds like the boot camp itself was excellent and much better than the one I attended.
<<

LSOChris

Post Thu Aug 10, 2006 10:45 pm

so you got your bootcamp materials ahead of time?  i didnt know that.  is that usually the case?  i really havent thought much about doing bootcamps because i dont feel i can  adequatelly squeeze all that info into a week. but if i had time to study the material before it would be a different story.
<<

don

Administrator
Administrator

Post Thu Aug 10, 2006 10:59 pm

It's amazing what you can get if you simply ask.

Don
<<

blackazarro

Post Wed Aug 16, 2006 10:52 pm

I'm strongly considering on taking the CEH cert and I would like know if it will be hard to pass the test without attending a boot camp. I'm thinking of acquiring several study guides and setting up a virtual lab at home for my studies. Is this a viable solution? I'm considering this approach since I can't afford a course and I know the company I work for will not pay for it. Any recommendation is greatly appreciated.

BTW, sick article and I will use it for my benefit, thanks.
Security+, OSCP, CEH
<<

Kev

Post Thu Aug 17, 2006 9:37 am

Did you read this article on the forum concerning Ceh and self study?
http://www.ethicalhacker.net/content/view/54/24/

A bootcamp is a great review, but you should already have a strong foundation before you go to one. If you cant do a boot camp, posting questions on this forum will be very helpful.
<<

tmartin

Recruiters
Recruiters

Post Thu Aug 17, 2006 1:04 pm

Nice article. I love the play-by-play and the honesty of how you felt throughout the week.
<<

blackazarro

Post Fri Aug 18, 2006 5:44 pm

Hey, Kev thanks for the info. I read the article and it motivated me to go head with the self study. I'm planning to purchase the following 3 books:

- Gray Hat Hacking : The Ethical Hacker's Handbook
- Certified Ethical Hacker Exam Prep (Exam Prep 2)
- CEH: Official Certified Ethical Hacker Review Guide (coming in Dec 11, 2006)

I'll later write my experience on self studying and taking the CEH test to the forum.

If anybody has other suggestions or additional advise regarding the studying of CEH, just post your comments here in the forum. Thanks.
Last edited by blackazarro on Fri Aug 18, 2006 5:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Security+, OSCP, CEH
<<

Kev

Post Fri Aug 18, 2006 7:30 pm

Those are good book choices.  I would also recommend Counter Hack Reloaded by Ed Skoudis.    I think I have almost every book published on Network Security, mostly because I love books.  The thing to remember is they give you a good overview of everything, but none of the books I have ever seen actually teach you how to hack in detail.  Get the overview and then start playing with some tools and then later set up a system you can attack.
<<

blackazarro

Post Sat Aug 19, 2006 3:37 pm

Thanks for the tips Kev!!
Security+, OSCP, CEH
<<

inobegentleman

Post Fri Oct 06, 2006 11:26 am

Don great site, i particularly find the videos very educative but i think i have missed alot can u send me the very first video till the latest one pls..
<<

don

Administrator
Administrator

Post Fri Oct 06, 2006 11:50 am

This is a little off the topic of the article. Starting a new thread would be a better way to go, and I'd be more than happy to answer the question.

Don
<<

ednman

Post Fri Dec 15, 2006 3:18 am

Hi Don,

I attended a CEH course back in 2003 but did not take the exam because I pursued my masters in IT.  But now that I finished it, I just would like to know what are the changes since 2003.  Because I believe CEH exam comes in version (don't know which version now) of exam to take, what is the version now of CEH and whether or not, we I take the exam based on the past version that I took

With your help I may have the guts to review the materials again. And also, has Eric Cole updated his book (came with the training package) since 2003? Best regards.

Miguel
<<

Malachai

Post Wed May 30, 2007 1:19 am

Hello all,
I just joined this site to see what I could learn from other... I was also thinking of taking this cert when it first came out. The only thing is that this would be my first cert I would go for.

Love the article on how you went day by day... I think the first part of the story made a big kiss in the ass to me since I'm at that point right now.

OK... so I want to be a professional hacker. Where do I start? Who offers this training? With all popular IT fields, there are a multitude of certifications. Which one do I choose? If I have no experience, how do I start? If I have IT experience, where do I jump in?

I just bought myself the MSCE bookset to do self study. After reading everything you wrote, I know that I could make it, and motivate myself to pass the test. Like you said towards the end.

So the only question that remains is, ‘What are you waiting for?' Your dream job is out there waiting for you. Go get it.

Thanks again.
<<

don

Administrator
Administrator

Post Fri Jun 15, 2007 1:50 pm

Next

Return to Editor-In-Chief