Unsecured network, password/login to use the internet, any way around that ?

<<

jackofspades

Post Sun Jun 06, 2010 3:29 am

Unsecured network, password/login to use the internet, any way around that ?

Hello from Cyprus,

I'm not sure if I'm posting in the right place but I would really need some info and advice on whether this is possible or not.

Here in Cyprus internet is sort-of a rare commodity and you pay through your nose for it.

Due to the fact that I'm moving around a lot I can't afford to pay every time for very expensive connections charges plus ridiculous monthly fees that offer such low speeds but anyway, let me get to the point.

There's few companies here on the island which prey on the unsuspecting tourists who would require internet, charging over 5$/hour for wireless access.
How it works is by having a extensive network of antennae/routers, whatever throughout the  cities and when you try to connect to the unsecured wireless network  it takes you to this http://redwifi.hotspot.thunderworx.net/main/main.aspx?id=355 page requiring you to use your card or phone to have access to their pricey-slowey internet.

Do any of you highly-skilled kind folks here have any idea if there's a way to bypass their password-login system and actually have access to their internet without having to cough up the dough every time ?  ???  ::)

Thanks for taking a look !
<<

Xen

Post Sun Jun 06, 2010 5:31 am

Re: Unsecured network, password/login to use the internet, any way around that ?

Welcome to ETHICAL hacker network ;D
<<

JollyJokker

Post Sun Jun 06, 2010 6:48 am

Re: Unsecured network, password/login to use the internet, any way around that ?

haha! jackofspades, as Equix3n mentioned, this is the ETHICAL HACKER Network. Illegal activities are not supported here.
Last edited by JollyJokker on Tue Jul 06, 2010 10:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
<<

rvs

Post Sun Jun 06, 2010 11:40 am

Are you serious? ???
<<

jackofspades

Post Sun Jun 06, 2010 12:25 pm

well, I agree, it is the ethical HACKER network, i had my eye on the last word more than the first  :P

I'm not necessarily asking for step by step instructions but I would like to know if in your opinion it would be possible...for someone with moderate experience let's say

Also, is this not the same place where this is posted ???  ??? ???
http://www.ethicalhacker.net/content/view/16/24/
Last edited by jackofspades on Sun Jun 06, 2010 12:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
<<

secureseve

Post Sun Jun 06, 2010 1:10 pm

Yes, that link is posted here. While discussions, as such, pertain to knowledge that we security enthusiasts strive for. We love security, and as a fair trade among peers, we will discuss new techniques, vulnerabilities, and exploits for both our careers and personal interests.

No one here will tell you how to perform something illegal. You're better off using this site and learning on your own, then performing any malevolent acts on your own.

And finally, to answer your question, yes it is possible to bypass the login.
http://twitter.com/mikesantillana
eLearnSecurity Team Member.
<<

yatz

Post Sun Jun 06, 2010 3:36 pm

Also you'll notice the key difference is at the end of that article you will find several ways to protect against the threats.  That is the KEY difference in security enthusiasts as secureseven says, and just hacking for gain.
"Live as though you would die tomorrow, learn as though you would live forever."

CCNA, MCSA, MCTS, Sec+, Net+, Linux+, CEH

Return to Wireless