Format for packet analysis study?

<<

morpheus063

Post Sat Aug 05, 2006 6:28 am

Format for packet analysis study?

Hi All,

Is there any format to submit a report on packet analysis. Say for example if you are given a raw etherreal packet (caputred) how will you submit a report or present the contents?

Regards,

Morpheus
Manu Zacharia
MVP (Enterprise Security), ISLA-2010 (ISC)², C|EH, C|HFI, CCNA, MCP,
Certified ISO 27001:2005 Lead Auditor

[b]There are 3 roads to spoil; women, gambling & hacking. The most pleasant with women, the quickest with gambling, but the surest is hacking - c0c0n
<<

Kev

Post Sat Aug 05, 2006 9:52 am

Re: Format for packet analysis study?

I just copy and paste my results along with my personal commentary. Excel has everything you need to make a professional looking report. You can make all kinds of pie charts and pretty graphs, which is important because I find the corporate types really like to see that. Also, you can make a report that only you can produce, which can help you stand out if someone previous to you submitted a report more “cookie cutter” in appearance. If someone is not even creative enough to come up with their report format, how will they be a top level hacker that needs to think outside the box?  Remember hacking is an art and a science.

I remember a long time ago asking a very experience pen tester, “Where should I begin my studies if I want to be a security pro?” I was hoping he would reveal some really cool ultimate hacking tool that I needed to master.  He came back with,” Make sure you know excel.”  I thought he was being a smart mouth and man what a let down, but years later I really have come to know what he was talking about!  Spend a little time to make those reports look really detailed and professional.
<<

morpheus063

Post Sat Aug 05, 2006 11:30 am

Hi Kev,

Talking about excel, once my friend asked his boss (project manager) what are the traits a good project manager should have. Like you mentioned above, my friend was also expecting some Project Management Techniques and formulas. However his reply was:

Two things:
1. Master excel and present your data with colours and charts
2. Learn how to create subfolders under Inbox in Your Outlook and store files there. :)

Now coming back to the subject topic. Do you know any link where a newby like me can find some sample templates?

Regards,

Morpheus
Manu Zacharia
MVP (Enterprise Security), ISLA-2010 (ISC)², C|EH, C|HFI, CCNA, MCP,
Certified ISO 27001:2005 Lead Auditor

[b]There are 3 roads to spoil; women, gambling & hacking. The most pleasant with women, the quickest with gambling, but the surest is hacking - c0c0n
<<

Kev

Post Sat Aug 05, 2006 3:48 pm

The Sans site used to have a lot of templates for various things. Check it out and see if what you are looking for or at least similar to what you might want is there.

http://www.sans.org/resources/policies/
<<

LSOChris

Post Sat Aug 05, 2006 6:02 pm

knowing how to powerpoint was one of the "things to know"??
<<

Kev

Post Sat Aug 05, 2006 6:18 pm

Yeah it sounds strange, but I think he was trying to say it was important to know the basics of how to look professional. I find that preparing reports is often the one place pen testers really hate.  I have known some people that just spit out the report nessus gives and just submit that!

Return to Network Pen Testing