No hands on experince with tools.....can i still pass the CEH with only theory?

<<

Diamonddrago

Post Tue Jun 01, 2010 7:59 am

No hands on experince with tools.....can i still pass the CEH with only theory?

OK....i went to bootcamp about a year ago.....have not other qualification under my belt....

i understand the theory behind CEH very well just not the technical side & do not have the facility to try out any of the tools right now.....?

can i still make it through the CEH exam?....with minimal or no experience using tools....if not what tools must i focus on?.....

oh and i barely understand the OSI model or networking....XD

sunk?....
<<

morpheus063

Post Tue Jun 01, 2010 8:28 am

Re: No hands on experince with tools.....can i still pass the CEH with only theory?

Hey Diamonddrago,

It is good that you have a good level of understanding on the theory part. However, a good level of knowledge is recommended for the practical side also. There are instances where you may have to analyze a log file or read a configuration file - which falls under the practical side. So its always good you have a pretty good understanding of the practical side of tools.

Regarding the facility / lab setup - the following posts will help you in that.

Network pentest lab setup

All the best for your C|EH exams
Manu Zacharia
MVP (Enterprise Security), ISLA-2010 (ISC)², C|EH, C|HFI, CCNA, MCP,
Certified ISO 27001:2005 Lead Auditor

[b]There are 3 roads to spoil; women, gambling & hacking. The most pleasant with women, the quickest with gambling, but the surest is hacking - c0c0n
<<

JollyJokker

Post Tue Jun 01, 2010 9:16 am

Re: No hands on experince with tools.....can i still pass the CEH with only theory?

I believe, from what I have studied so far, that CEH in general is not very tech-demanding (haven't taken the exam yet though, still preparing). However, having a basic picture of how some tools work or are deployed is definitely required.

Nevertheless, a small testlab of virtual machines is highly recommended; just to see some things in action.
<<

venom77

Post Tue Jun 01, 2010 8:21 pm

As already mentioned, you may be provided with a packet capture or maybe a snort rule and be asked to identify what is happening. You also need to know command-line switches and what they do for various tools. I highly recommend you practice and learn the important tools from the courseware.
<<

jason

Post Thu Jun 03, 2010 10:10 pm

Definitely know your command line switched for the various tools. This will definitely bite you if you're not familiar with them.

Return to CEH - Certified Ethical Hacker