Qubes OS

<<

Bane

Post Fri May 28, 2010 11:50 am

Qubes OS

Interesting new OS project from Joana Rutkowska's group.

qubes-os.org

Qubes is an open source operating system designed to provide strong security for desktop computing. Qubes is based on Xen, X Window System, and Linux, and can run most Linux applications and utilize most of the Linux drivers. In the future it might also run Windows apps.
<<

Ketchup

Post Fri May 28, 2010 1:51 pm

Re: Qubes OS

This looks pretty cool.  It's based on a bare metal hypervisor.  I will be downloading a version as one becomes available.  It looks like the project is still in alpha stages.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Ketchup
<<

hayabusa

Post Fri May 28, 2010 1:55 pm

Yeah, was checking it out, myself.  I do a lot of testing in Xen, etc, so I'm curious to see how they're doing the virtualization on the apps, etc, to sandbox them, and see how well it all runs, when put together.
~ hayabusa ~ 

"All men can see these tactics whereby I conquer, but what none can see is the strategy out of which victory is evolved." - Sun Tzu, 'The Art of War'

OSCE, OSCP , GPEN, C|EH
<<

Bane

Post Sat May 29, 2010 12:07 am

My only concern is that each sandbox will require 400mb of RAM. So a pretty beefy box will be required to run more than a couple of apps.
<<

Xen

Post Sat May 29, 2010 1:10 am

Interesting project IMHO. I would like to give it more time before I try this out in my lab.
<<

hayabusa

Post Sat May 29, 2010 7:18 am

Bane wrote:My only concern is that each sandbox will require 400mb of RAM. So a pretty beefy box will be required to run more than a couple of apps.

Exactly why I want to play with it.  I want to see how they're accomplishing it all, and still maintaining some sense of 'usability.'
~ hayabusa ~ 

"All men can see these tactics whereby I conquer, but what none can see is the strategy out of which victory is evolved." - Sun Tzu, 'The Art of War'

OSCE, OSCP , GPEN, C|EH
<<

Ketchup

Post Sat May 29, 2010 9:15 am

I am guessing you will be given the same argument as Microsoft.  "RAM is cheap, just buy more RAM." 
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Ketchup

Return to News from the Outside World