KeePass Password Safe

<<

Dengar13

Post Tue May 25, 2010 3:30 pm

KeePass Password Safe

Does anyone have any experience with this open-source password manager solution?  I have seen a few reviews and they received above average scores.  Is there anything out there comparable or better?

Thanks!
A+, Net+, MCP, CEH
MCSE: Security/Messaging
MCSA: Security/Messaging
Former U.S. Marine and damn proud of it!
<<

dynamik

Recruiters
Recruiters

Post Tue May 25, 2010 4:33 pm

Re: KeePass Password Safe

That's what I use; I like it a lot.

I've seen favorable things for Password Safe as well (but I've never used it myself): http://passwordsafe.sourceforge.net/
The day you stop learning is the day you start becoming obsolete.
<<

Ketchup

Post Tue May 25, 2010 4:46 pm

We started using it at work a little while ago.  We chose it because of good encryption strength and support for a variety of mobile operating systems.  The only negative thing I have found so far is that Palm devices must convert to KeyRing format, losing some of the features. 
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Ketchup
<<

rattis

Post Tue May 25, 2010 10:17 pm

I really like it. I use it at home. I've thought about switching work to it. Currently we use Bruce Schneier's Password Safe, which only works on windows.

My only complaint about KeePass is it's not completely OS agnostic and up to date. The version I run at home (on a linux box) has a 1.x database I think. To get the database to work on a Windows box at work (rebuilding at home at the time), it had to be converted to a newer database 2.x I think.

Bringing the newer password database back, and the linux version didn't support it.

I haven't tried it with a different distro yet. Maybe I'll try that tomorrow. However I still recommend KeePass
OSWP, Sec+
<<

mambru

Post Tue May 25, 2010 11:57 pm

Currently we use Bruce Schneier's Password Safe, which only works on windows.

There's a Linux software that is Password Safe compatible http://wiki.github.com/zdia/gorilla/
<<

JollyJokker

Post Wed May 26, 2010 6:16 am

I have been using KeePass PS over a year now and I am very satisfied. Actually I do not need anything more than that. Many colleagues have been using it as well.

However, the "Perform Auto-Type" feature does not function properly on my installation (not that I care much though).
<<

rattis

Post Wed May 26, 2010 9:27 am

mambru wrote:
Currently we use Bruce Schneier's Password Safe, which only works on windows.

There's a Linux software that is Password Safe compatible http://wiki.github.com/zdia/gorilla/

Thanks I'll check it out.
OSWP, Sec+
<<

rattis

Post Wed May 26, 2010 5:30 pm

chrisj wrote:
My only complaint about KeePass is it's not completely OS agnostic and up to date. The version I run at home (on a linux box) has a 1.x database I think. To get the database to work on a Windows box at work (rebuilding at home at the time), it had to be converted to a newer database 2.x I think.

Bringing the newer password database back, and the linux version didn't support it.

I haven't tried it with a different distro yet. Maybe I'll try that tomorrow. However I still recommend KeePass

I tested this out today, if you have keepass 1.x  in windows and KeepassX in linux, it works pretty well. Using Keepass 2.x however makes it a little more work to share the passwords between operating systems.
OSWP, Sec+
<<

Bane

Post Wed May 26, 2010 11:31 pm

I use it for my personal passwords and have used it in the work place. One of the features I really like is that you can require both a key file and a pass phrase simultaneously to gain access.

Return to Tools