Security+ Before CEH

<<

delusion

Post Thu May 20, 2010 7:31 am

Security+ Before CEH

Hey all  ;D

I am ready to start my next cert  :P Ultimately I want to start my CEH before my Security+ purely as i am very interesting in increasing my knowledge in the ethical hacking world.  What are your thoughts on this?

Security+ first OR CEH, i'll probably go for CEH first, although if you guys feel I may struggle then Security+ definetly sounds like the best bet.

Look forward to hearing from you  8)
You Cant Resolve Problems Whilst At WAR!
<<

morpheus063

Post Thu May 20, 2010 7:51 am

Re: Security+ Before CEH

CEH is not something that is impossible to achieve if you are committed. And Security+ is not a pre-requisite too. But the preferred path is to have Security+ and then CEH (my personal opinion).
Manu Zacharia
MVP (Enterprise Security), ISLA-2010 (ISC)², C|EH, C|HFI, CCNA, MCP,
Certified ISO 27001:2005 Lead Auditor

[b]There are 3 roads to spoil; women, gambling & hacking. The most pleasant with women, the quickest with gambling, but the surest is hacking - c0c0n
<<

delusion

Post Thu May 20, 2010 7:58 am

What that in mind then presumably the logical path is:

Network+
Security+
CEH

I am backwards, I fancy:

CEH
Security+
Network+

Would this be a mistake?
<<

dynamik

Recruiters
Recruiters

Post Thu May 20, 2010 8:24 am

I really don't understand the logic; I think you should stick with your first plan.

If you're going to do those other certifications, why not build a solid foundation and work your way up? The CEH material, especially the self-study books, certainly does not cover everything that is on the exam (or that you should know to be at that level).

You obviously don't need to take the exams, but if you want them, and you're working through the material anyway, I don't see any value in postponing them (unless it's a financial issue).
The day you stop learning is the day you start becoming obsolete.
<<

delusion

Post Thu May 20, 2010 9:04 am

Hey dynamik

My reasoning behind this order is because I am really keen to start the CEH and it will help keep the security bonfire burning brightly.

I understand the basic fundamentsl of networking and security, will a basic understanding suffice  ???

Like i say I am pretty flexible in the ordering.  This is to keep the security geek satisfied which I have been letting down recently  >:(
<<

ziggy_567

Post Thu May 20, 2010 9:14 am

Network+ is pretty basic. Security+ is fairly basic, but a little less basic than the Network+ certification. If you get the Sybex study guides for both of these, more or less that is all you will need to pass the exams. My advice is read through them. If you know pretty much everything contained within already, you could take some practice tests and be ready to take the exam. If you aren't mostly comfortable with the material, study a little more in depth in your weak areas with Google.

Personally, I was glad that I did my Network+ and Security+ first, because it gave me the confidence to go tackle harder certs.

Good luck!!!
--
Ziggy

eCPPT - GSEC - GCIH - GWAPT - GCUX - RHCE - SCSecA - Security+ - Network+
<<

dynamik

Recruiters
Recruiters

Post Thu May 20, 2010 9:36 am

I think you're really going to make things harder on yourself in the long run if you don't master the fundamentals first. To be completely candid, I don't think a "basic understanding" is sufficient.

At the same time, that doesn't mean you have to work on something like the Network+ exclusively. Pace yourself and keep tinkering around with whatever else you find interesting.

As mentioned, The CompTIA exams are pretty basic. If you're not at that level, you're really going to struggle with the CEH.

Let me be clear, you don't need those certifications, you need the knowledge. I've never taken the Network+, and I never will. I just want to stress the importance of mastering the fundamentals. No one wants to be a script kiddie ;)
<<

delusion

Post Thu May 20, 2010 12:49 pm

Hey thanks for the input  ;D

I'll approach this in the correct fashion

Network+
Security+
CEH

Good advice as always.  Time for some R and R  :P
<<

Beckman11

Post Thu May 20, 2010 3:25 pm

I plan on taking the sec+ and the net+ this year.  I really only care about the sec+ but if I can I am going to take both because of the change that happens in 2011 where you have to re-up every 3 years. I just want these under my belt so I show I am at least knowledgeable in basic net and sec ideology. 
Security+
<<

dynamik

Recruiters
Recruiters

Post Thu May 20, 2010 4:29 pm

Beckman11 wrote:I plan on taking the sec+ and the net+ this year.  I really only care about the sec+ but if I can I am going to take both because of the change that happens in 2011 where you have to re-up every 3 years. I just want these under my belt so I show I am at least knowledgeable in basic net and sec ideology. 

Yea, I keep forgetting about that since I've had my CompTIA certs for awhile. That's an excellent point to consider for anyone considering the A+, Net+, and/or Sec+ in 2010.
<<

Anquilas

Post Fri May 21, 2010 5:24 am

After this I'll probably go the same way as you, delusion. Although I might switch the Network+ with a CCNA (not sure if they are similar in difficulty though).

Indeed, when doing CompTIA before the end of the year, you don't have the re-certify -ever-.
Definitely an extra motivator ^^
Twitter: https://twitter.com/dietervds
Blog: https://synquell.wordpress.com (not much there yet)

The beginning of knowledge is the discovery of something we do not understand.
<<

delusion

Post Tue May 25, 2010 3:03 pm

Yeah I feel you there Anquilas, definetly a motivator, good one CompTia, just hope it stay that way.  Few work related Certs to armour myself with, then Network + & Security + books on order  8)

Exciting!!  ;D  :D
<<

solarislackware

Post Fri Oct 08, 2010 7:41 pm

I just got my CEH in July.  I am now going to work on obtaining the Security+ certification in order to maintain my CEH.  I guess I did it backwards
CEH, SCSA 9 & 10
<<

Dark_Knight

Post Fri Oct 08, 2010 10:55 pm

I'm all over the place then  ;D ;D

I did :
CEH -> OSCP -> GPEN -> GWAPT -> SEC+(currently reading)

Prior to doing the CEH I had NO security training. ZILCH !!! I had glanced over Hacking Exposed and just read about hacking stuff here and there.  :)

P.S I did WIFU somewhere in there. I'm really doing the SEC+ to get the 1yr waiver for the CISSP. The CISSP seems to be a necessary evil these days.
Last edited by Dark_Knight on Fri Oct 08, 2010 10:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CEH, OSCP, GPEN, GWAPT, GCIA
http://sector876.blogspot.com
<<

ziggy_567

Post Sat Oct 09, 2010 9:13 am

Why not do the GSEC instead of Sec+ for the waiver?

I believe the GSEC is a better preparation than the Sec+ for the CISSP. Now, I don't yet have my CISSP, so I may be off base, but the GSEC materials line up better with the CISSP domains. And I'm pretty sure the GSEC qualifies you for a one year waiver as well.
--
Ziggy

eCPPT - GSEC - GCIH - GWAPT - GCUX - RHCE - SCSecA - Security+ - Network+
Next

Return to General Certification