Anyone been to DEFCON?

<<

former33t

Post Wed May 19, 2010 9:23 pm

Anyone been to DEFCON?

I'm planning to attend DEFCON this year for the first time and wanted to know from someone that's been before how long the good times last.  I've been to conferences that were closing up shop by 1500 on Sunday and then there are some still going strong into Sunday night.  I don't want to book a flight too early on Sunday but I also don't want to take a red-eye out of Vegas only to find out that the conference closed at 1500.  Can someone fill me in?  The schedule link on the website says "coming soon" or I'd have used that.

Thanks.
Certifications: CREA, MCSE: Security, CCNA, Security+, other junk
<<

caissyd

Post Wed May 19, 2010 9:42 pm

Re: Anyone been to DEFCON?

I have been to DEFCON last year and I am going back this year! Man I loved it!

But since I was there with my wife, I didn't go to the evening gathering. I am planning to be a lot more social this year. So, I will be reading this post closely too...
OSCP, GPEN, GWAPT, GSEC, CEH, CISSP
(aka H1t.M0nk3y)
<<

bamed

Post Thu May 20, 2010 10:32 am

I REALLY want to go to DEFCON this year, but doubt I'll come up with the $$$  :(.  That is unless somebody is willing to carpool with me from SW MO, and willing to share a room...
chown -R bamed ./base
<<

sil

Post Thu May 20, 2010 11:53 am

And I quote Dave Chappelle on this one...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nP49z1HnEmw
<<

Dengar13

Post Thu May 20, 2010 12:08 pm

sil wrote:And I quote Dave Chappelle on this one...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nP49z1HnEmw

Awesome!  Love Chappelle!
A+, Net+, MCP, CEH
MCSE: Security/Messaging
MCSA: Security/Messaging
Former U.S. Marine and damn proud of it!
<<

Grendel

Post Thu May 20, 2010 12:59 pm

I keep wanting to go, but they keep canceling it every year.  >:(

In truth, it's a blast - even if you don't go to the parties, there are people hanging out everywhere; it's just a matter of walking up to complete strangers and saying "hi"... next thing you know you're hacking something. A lot of people go and totally avoid the talks, and still maintain a full schedule. What you get out of defcon is what you put into it.

I go every year with my wife - since she's getting a degree in computer security, she's as much into it as I am. Brought my 10 year old last time; bought her a set of lockpicks and got pictures of her picking her first lock. (note: it's really not kid-friendly, and nobody will make allowances if you bring your kid, which is just the way I like it).

If you need a ride or a room, check out the defcon forums - there are people who post those types of requests all the time. Also, check out your local defcon group - chances are, one of them will be driving; however, plane tickets are pretty cheap into vegas, so it might be cheaper to fly than split gas.
- Thomas Wilhelm, MSCS MSM
ISSMP CISSP SCSECA SCNA IEM

Web Site:
  • http://HackingDojo.com
Author:
  • Professional Penetration Testing
  • Ninja Hacking
  • Penetration Tester's Open Source Toolkit
  • Metasploit Toolkit for Penetration Testing
  • Netcat Power Tools
<<

sandcrawler

Post Thu May 20, 2010 2:31 pm

I've been to 11 and 14 and can say that the evening stuff typically revolves around things like hacker jeopardy, pool parties, the black/white ball and social lingering.  Not to say that there aren't still "things happening" but much of the scheduled presentations and classes are over by 20:00.

I think 14 might have been the first year at their new venue and I have to admit I was a little turned off by some of the logistics issues (extremely crowded rooms for certain events) and the understandable paranoia by the staff of being "kind" to the new venue.  I'm on the verge of planning to go this year so, hopefully, they've worked out the kinks with the Riviera and have booked plenty of space :D

As far as departure, I've wrestled with that on both occasions.  The first time I believe we left early on Sunday and missed all the awards presentations and most of the other content on Sunday.  The second time we stayed for the awards but I can't say I just went "wow, I'm glad we stayed."  Sunday, for folks that "have to be at work on Monday" just feels too rushed to make it enjoyable as it could be.

If you take a look at the archived schedule for Defcon 17 you'll see that they had speaking events right up to the 1700 closing ceremony on Sunday and I think that answers your question as to when, exactly, the carpet gets rolled up.  I'd expect the schedule this year to look very similar ;)
<<

Grendel

Post Thu May 20, 2010 4:11 pm

Things have improved since DC14 - defcon has the entire covention area now (at 14 they shared it with some cop convention and a national dart competition). Plenty of space to spread out; besides the wireless hacking and the lockpicking, they added hardware hacking. The riv allocated many more rooms the last couple years as well, but it's still cheaper to stay at circus circus across the street.

The crowds, though, have gotten huge. At 14, I think there were around 5k; last year it hit almost 10k. It's insane, but now there are a lot more things happening now that all the extra attendees are trying to find something to do in the evening. I've been wandering the halls after midnight and saw plenty of people hanging out. There are a couple convention suites that were open to anyone during the evenings, so there were places to hang out, chat, and get drunk, even for those who are first-timers.
- Thomas Wilhelm, MSCS MSM
ISSMP CISSP SCSECA SCNA IEM

Web Site:
  • http://HackingDojo.com
Author:
  • Professional Penetration Testing
  • Ninja Hacking
  • Penetration Tester's Open Source Toolkit
  • Metasploit Toolkit for Penetration Testing
  • Netcat Power Tools
<<

former33t

Post Thu May 20, 2010 10:03 pm

Thanks all for your responses, especially sandcrawler with the archived schedule from 17.  I'll fly out Monday morning I think.  I have a pretty flexible work schedule, they'll get over it.
Certifications: CREA, MCSE: Security, CCNA, Security+, other junk
<<

sandcrawler

Post Fri May 21, 2010 2:06 pm

@former33t - Glad to help!

@Grendel - Glad to hear they've got the space issues taken care of and that socializing is going well into the early morning. I think that's one aspect of 14 I missed was the "after party." I remember the darts now that you mention it too.  I was there mostly for the lockpicking at first but didn't do nearly as well as I did at 11. but yeah, it was horrible trying to get in and out.  I may bring my pick set again but unless I practice between now and then I probably won't even enter the competition since I need to stay involved with some of the other events.  I'm still wondering how much of this I can apply to my CEH :D

Return to Other