OSCP before or after CEH

<<

ssherei

Post Wed May 19, 2010 6:02 pm

OSCP before or after CEH

hello all,

i am a newbie at pentesting and ethical hacking but i am registered for the CEH clas starting on 13-6. the thing is am really interested in taking the OSCP cert too there are 2 dates that i can register for now 30-5 and 6-6 should i go for it and start the OSCP noting that i have a CEH course on 13-6 or wait till am done with CEH, i dont think i am that experienced in linux and exploit programming but i am a real persistent, & stubborn guy, also like to learn practically and dont mind having a hard time learning i think thats the best way to learn, and i like to challenge myself to the max. so please if anyone can guide me that would be great ?? :D
OSCE, OSCP
<<

hayabusa

Post Wed May 19, 2010 6:41 pm

Re: OSCP before or after CEH

Personally, if you're already scheduled for CEH, I'd recommend doing that one, first.  Doing two simultaneously is doable, for some folks, but since you're already booked into CEH, I'd get that ground-level knowledge in place, before the OSCP, as many things in OSCP might make more sense to you, at that point, and you can spend more of the OSCP time on the things that are newer to you, etc.

My opinion, anyway...
~ hayabusa ~ 

"All men can see these tactics whereby I conquer, but what none can see is the strategy out of which victory is evolved." - Sun Tzu, 'The Art of War'

OSCE, OSCP , GPEN, C|EH
<<

caissyd

Post Wed May 19, 2010 9:40 pm

With no hesitation, do CEH first and once you are done, go for OSCP.

Anything else would be wrong because CEH is broader but not as deep as OSCP.
OSCP, GPEN, GWAPT, GSEC, CEH, CISSP
(aka H1t.M0nk3y)
<<

ssherei

Post Thu May 20, 2010 3:07 am

thanks allot for you responses ... i'll go for CEH first then  ;D, but my real concern is that on the OSCP site the last onlinedate is 6-6 i am worried that after that there wont be online courses for a long time, what am thinking is apply for the OSCP on 6-6 with 60 days lab access get the vids and pdfs start reading and practicing what i can; meanwhile when the CEH course start i'll get better understanding of the modules and then after the CEH. i start using the LAB access and finish the oscp, what do u thinkis it a good or bad plan ?? ;D
Last edited by ssherei on Thu May 20, 2010 4:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
OSCE, OSCP
<<

morpheus063

Post Thu May 20, 2010 6:08 am

Well if you can spend for the 2 months lab access, then it should be OK. But I would suggest finishing the CEH first and then only starting off with OSCP (practical hands on and learning process - you can register early). Otherwise the interests may clash :)
Manu Zacharia
MVP (Enterprise Security), ISLA-2010 (ISC)², C|EH, C|HFI, CCNA, MCP,
Certified ISO 27001:2005 Lead Auditor

[b]There are 3 roads to spoil; women, gambling & hacking. The most pleasant with women, the quickest with gambling, but the surest is hacking - c0c0n
<<

caissyd

Post Thu May 20, 2010 6:42 am

@ssherei: I am currently finishing PWB right now. They offer this course every week, so don't worry, you will be able to register when you are done with CEH.

It takes about 3 days to register and then you are all set. Guys at Offensive Security are very, very quick to answer any question and process your order.

An again, don't worry to get a place on the course, I think they have been offering PWB every week for the last year. And since they have just release version 3 of their course (which is excellent!!!), they won't stop offering it mid June.
(aka H1t.M0nk3y)
<<

hayabusa

Post Thu May 20, 2010 8:01 am

Those dates will become newer, on offensive's page, as time goes on.  They only show a current sampling of date ranges.  Don't worry, it WILL go on, past 6/6.  If you've been watching their registration page for any amount of time (as I did, prior to finally having budget and signing up) you'll notice it updates every couple of weeks, for newer scheduling.
~ hayabusa ~ 

"All men can see these tactics whereby I conquer, but what none can see is the strategy out of which victory is evolved." - Sun Tzu, 'The Art of War'

OSCE, OSCP , GPEN, C|EH
<<

ssherei

Post Thu May 20, 2010 8:22 am

thanx allot guys you've been a great help  ;D
OSCE, OSCP
<<

dynamik

Recruiters
Recruiters

Post Thu May 20, 2010 8:32 am

Yea, OffSec only lets you schedule a couple of weeks out. They add a date every week ;)

I'm also with the consensus that you should do the CEH first. That's definitely a foundation you want for the OSCP.
The day you stop learning is the day you start becoming obsolete.
<<

bamed

Post Thu May 20, 2010 10:44 am

Here's a similar questions: I've already got OSCP, should I worry about CEH?
chown -R bamed ./base
<<

hayabusa

Post Thu May 20, 2010 11:25 am

My answer would be: "That depends..."

If you're looking for a new position, or to go to a new company, more of the recruiters, etc, will recognize CEH (while not as much as say, CISSP,) more than they will OSCP.  The two certifications / courses also go in some different directions.  I currently have CEH, and am in process on OSCP.  CEH class went over a lot more of the 'principles and standards' than OSCP does, so sometimes, it's good to have that info, however, for the purely technical side of things (actual scanning, exploits, etc,) OSCP seems to be much better.

So it depends on your reasoning.  If you truly want to be well-rounded, then it wouldn't hurt to get CEH, for the theory and such, or if you're looking to move to a position that requires it (or at a minimum is familiar with and respects it.)  If you are solely into the thrill of the tech and knowhow, then maybe you won't want to get CEH at all, and you might decide to spend that extra money on another technical certification course, like the new one from eLearnSecurity, that Jason Haddix reviewed on here, recently, and I'm also previewing, for the authors.

It can be a very fuzzy call, on your part, just depending on your goals for it all.
~ hayabusa ~ 

OSCE, OSCP , GPEN, C|EH
<<

caissyd

Post Thu May 20, 2010 12:08 pm

And to add to what Hayabusa said, if I were you, I would buy a CEH Prep Exam book, read it and try the exam without taking the course. If I could pass CEH without taking the course, you would definitively be able to so so after having passed OSCP.

For $250 USD + a book or two, you can't go wrong.
(aka H1t.M0nk3y)
<<

ssherei

Post Sun May 23, 2010 12:34 pm

thanks allot guys am going for CEH from 13-6 to 18-6 and right after it go for OSCP
OSCE, OSCP
<<

j0rDy

Post Mon May 24, 2010 3:19 am

all the good answers already have been given and i see you already made your choice (which i think is the best one). good luck and let us know how you did!
CISSP, CEH, ECSA, OSCP, OSWP

earning my stripes appears to be a road i must travel alone...with a little help of EH.net
<<

ssherei

Post Sun Jun 20, 2010 1:56 pm

hey all,

am done with the CEH bootcamp; a little confused wether to take the oscp course then the CEH exam or prep for CEH exam take it then the oscp course i talked to the CEH instructor about it and he told me it would be a good idea to take the oscp course then the exam; i found the CEH course to be informative of concepts and tools used but not about the actual procees itself we covered 19 modules in the course and the others are self study :) so what do u think guys should o go for oscp or the CEH exam first??
OSCE, OSCP
Next

Return to OSCP - Offensive Security Certified Professional