Degrees?

<<

brian.gordon

Post Tue May 18, 2010 8:39 am

Degrees?

Hey guys, I'm not sure if this is on the right board but wasn't sure where else to put it. I finished my bachelor’s degree last year in network communications and management. I've wanted to pursue IT security or cyber security for a few years, my goal is government work. I've spent the last few weeks researching masters programs in cyber security but am having the hardest time finding anything that has consistently good reviews. I'm a bit frustrated and was hoping to get some information on personal experience from anyone that has gone through a cyber security program or recommendations. My searches have brought up schools like Capella, university of phoenix, James Madison, Virginia College, utica college, umuc. Some of these schools look great, but again, the reviews have been bad.

I'm not sure if this is the right path to go down or not. Would you recommend a master’s program in cyber security or the cert route? Unfortunately, I don't have any certs yet. I've been in IT for 3 years. Just kind of did my studying and never took the exams.

Any advice or personal experiences would be greatly appreciated.
<<

ziggy_567

Post Tue May 18, 2010 8:57 am

Re: Degrees?

http://www.nsa.gov/ia/academic_outreach ... ndex.shtml

Check out the schools on this list. I cannot speak to the quality of all of these schools, but they are certified against a list of criteria that the NSA has specified. If you are looking for online programs, checkout Nova Southeastern in Florida. I graduated with my Masters from Mississippi State University, and while I did not receive a degree specifically in the NSA program, I took most of my electives from classes in the program (I was two classes from receiving my Graduate Certificate in Information Assurance in addition to the degree I received in Information Systems).

In my opinion, though, be weary of online gripes. One size does not fit all when it comes to degrees...

Good luck!
--
Ziggy

eCPPT - GSEC - GCIH - GWAPT - GCUX - RHCE - SCSecA - Security+ - Network+
<<

brian.gordon

Post Tue May 18, 2010 11:16 am

ziggy_567 wrote:In my opinion, though, be weary of online gripes. One size does not fit all when it comes to degrees...

I know what you mean. It's tough finding the right school. What makes you recommend Nova Southeastern though? Just that it has an online info sec masters and is nsa certified? I saw mixed reviews on it but most of the bad reviews were from PhD students.
<<

kriscamaro68

Post Tue May 18, 2010 12:25 pm

I haven't been through the program myself but all I hear is great things about Western Governors University. They have a Masters program and the classes are all online and its cheap to go there. The classes are also based on certifications so you actually get the certs while completing the degree. Taking the certs is included in the cost of tuition. Tuition pricing is about $2900 for six months. Its not charged per credit. So if you can get through all the classes in 1 year the cost is about $6000 to get your masters from there. I would check it out. Here is a link: http://www.wgu.edu/online_it_degrees/in ... nce_degree
A+, Net+, Server+, Security+, MCP/XP
<<

ziggy_567

Post Tue May 18, 2010 2:04 pm

I know NOTHING about Nova Southeastern Univ. I only recommended it because the only schools you mentioned in your initial post were online schools, and to my knowledge, NSU is the only one of the NSA Centers of Academic Excellence that offers purely online degrees.
--
Ziggy

eCPPT - GSEC - GCIH - GWAPT - GCUX - RHCE - SCSecA - Security+ - Network+
<<

BigBn

Post Thu May 20, 2010 12:15 pm

Georgia Tech has a good info security program, they offer both an online only and on an on campus track.

http://www.gtisc.gatech.edu/degree.html
<<

former33t

Post Fri May 21, 2010 7:55 pm

If you already have a handle on the technical side, consider Capitol College in Laurel, MD.  I did the Information Assurance program there and came out of it much stronger in the compliance and auditing side of things.  While it is online, the lectures are live using centra.  I'd also look at doing CISSP to get DoD 8570 compliant.
Certifications: CREA, MCSE: Security, CCNA, Security+, other junk
<<

Ash Chole

Post Tue May 25, 2010 8:00 am

I am currently a student at Eastern Carolina University  (on the NSA list for Academic Excellence mentioned earlier) in NC. ECU offers a completely online MS in Networking and Info Security/Assurance. I started the BS with little XP or knowledge and must admit that I have learned a lot. I have posted information about the school to another post regarding specifics about the school.
<<

morpheus063

Post Tue May 25, 2010 11:36 am

kriscamaro68 wrote:I haven't been through the program myself but all I hear is great things about Western Governors University. They have a Masters program and the classes are all online and its cheap to go there. The classes are also based on certifications so you actually get the certs while completing the degree. Taking the certs is included in the cost of tuition. Tuition pricing is about $2900 for six months. Its not charged per credit. So if you can get through all the classes in 1 year the cost is about $6000 to get your masters from there. I would check it out. Here is a link: http://www.wgu.edu/online_it_degrees/in ... nce_degree

I went through the course details and found that a lot of Certifications are associated with the course. Also see that the student can complete the course earlier based on the commitment and involvement.

Any idea on how fast one can complete if the student is already in possession of the listed certification with pretty good real life industrial experience?
Manu Zacharia
MVP (Enterprise Security), ISLA-2010 (ISC)², C|EH, C|HFI, CCNA, MCP,
Certified ISO 27001:2005 Lead Auditor

[b]There are 3 roads to spoil; women, gambling & hacking. The most pleasant with women, the quickest with gambling, but the surest is hacking - c0c0n
<<

kriscamaro68

Post Tue May 25, 2010 12:58 pm

Manu Zacharia (-M-) wrote:
kriscamaro68 wrote:I haven't been through the program myself but all I hear is great things about Western Governors University. They have a Masters program and the classes are all online and its cheap to go there. The classes are also based on certifications so you actually get the certs while completing the degree. Taking the certs is included in the cost of tuition. Tuition pricing is about $2900 for six months. Its not charged per credit. So if you can get through all the classes in 1 year the cost is about $6000 to get your masters from there. I would check it out. Here is a link: http://www.wgu.edu/online_it_degrees/in ... nce_degree

I went through the course details and found that a lot of Certifications are associated with the course. Also see that the student can complete the course earlier based on the commitment and involvement.

Any idea on how fast one can complete if the student is already in possession of the listed certification with pretty good real life industrial experience?

Well I never went there but I think dynamik and veritas_libertas are going there right now. If you have certs that are related to whats in the degree and its been less then 5 years since you passed it then it counts and you don't have to take that class which cuts down the time.
<<

dynamik

Recruiters
Recruiters

Post Tue May 25, 2010 1:18 pm

Nope, I'm wrapping up a psychology degree at the University of Minnesota. I'm leaning towards an MSIS at Nova once I complete that.
The day you stop learning is the day you start becoming obsolete.
<<

kriscamaro68

Post Tue May 25, 2010 3:40 pm

dynamik wrote:Nope, I'm wrapping up a psychology degree at the University of Minnesota. I'm leaning towards an MSIS at Nova once I complete that.

Sorry thought that you where going to WGU. I guess I just see you post in the forms on techexams about it sometimes and thought for some random reason you where going there.
<<

veritas_libertas

Post Tue Jul 06, 2010 10:30 pm

kriscamaro68 wrote:
Manu Zacharia (-M-) wrote:

Well I never went there but I think dynamik and veritas_libertas are going there right now. If you have certs that are related to whats in the degree and its been less then 5 years since you passed it then it counts and you don't have to take that class which cuts down the time.

Amusing that I am mentioned in a thread on a topic that I was searching through EH-Net for  :D

I'm attending WGU for my BS in Network Design and Management. I'm really unsure what I plan to do afterward for a Master degree, much less where I plan to attend.
Last edited by veritas_libertas on Wed Sep 08, 2010 10:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CCNA | Security+ | MCTS

Return to Cyber Warfare