Another hacking news clip

<<

hayabusa

Post Wed May 12, 2010 2:08 pm

Another hacking news clip

I'd never heard of "The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo" series, but got a kick out of this one:

http://www.myfoxla.com/dpp/news/female- ... o-20100511

Not like, for those of us in the know, it's 'new' news  :P , but still, always interesting to see what's playing out about 'hackers' in general, in the media.
Last edited by hayabusa on Wed May 12, 2010 2:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
~ hayabusa ~ 

"All men can see these tactics whereby I conquer, but what none can see is the strategy out of which victory is evolved." - Sun Tzu, 'The Art of War'

OSCE, OSCP , GPEN, C|EH
<<

sil

Post Wed May 12, 2010 2:17 pm

Re: Another hacking news clip

hayabusa wrote:I'd never heard of "The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo" series

Ah nothing like women in security.... (www.sexyhacking.com) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FmxeOlnCW_o (pseudo safe for work... After all it's youtube)
<<

rattis

Post Wed May 12, 2010 2:38 pm

I just watched the fox la video. typical sensationalist media.

Hayabusa, surprised you didn't know about the girl with the dragon tattoo, we've talked about the book here once or twice.
OSWP, Sec+
<<

Data_Raid

Post Wed May 12, 2010 3:34 pm

chrisj wrote:I just watched the fox la video. typical sensationalist media.

That's exactly what I was thinking, in the clip they said that the blonde dental hygienist was a "hacker" but from what I could gather all she was doing was tracking down people, setting up fake profiles on Facebook but not actually hacking. I'm wandering ... does face jewellery make you a better hacker?  ;)
All men by nature desire knowledge.

Aristotle
<<

rattis

Post Wed May 12, 2010 3:38 pm

I like how, I don't remember if it was the voice over or her, it was mentioned having hacking skills made it harder for her to date.

I'd watch it again, but I don't want to submit my brain to that kind of torture 2x in 1 day.
OSWP, Sec+
<<

hayabusa

Post Wed May 12, 2010 4:15 pm

I was thinking the suggestion came from the voiceover, but that she said it, herself, also...  I'd have to re-watch, as well.
~ hayabusa ~ 

"All men can see these tactics whereby I conquer, but what none can see is the strategy out of which victory is evolved." - Sun Tzu, 'The Art of War'

OSCE, OSCP , GPEN, C|EH
<<

j0rDy

Post Fri May 14, 2010 4:51 am

speaking of (bad) hacker video clips:
http://vimeo.com/11328554
CISSP, CEH, ECSA, OSCP, OSWP

earning my stripes appears to be a road i must travel alone...with a little help of EH.net
<<

rattis

Post Fri May 14, 2010 11:26 am

hayabusa wrote:I was thinking the suggestion came from the voiceover, but that she said it, herself, also...  I'd have to re-watch, as well.

Voice over: ... Although Adeanna says she only uses the her skills for good, sometimes she wishes she didn't posses them

Adeanna: "It ruins any hope for any relationship"
OSWP, Sec+
<<

What90

Post Fri May 14, 2010 9:22 pm

@j0rDy

Wow, evil hackers - day time TV soap style! I wonder if there's a course I can take to develop that smug, I'm evvvvilllll - and all powerful look. I'd be set then with the ladies and everyone data!

I can only imagine the back story to that episode was: (Fade to voice over)

If only Ron, the evil haxor, discovered that he was actually the son of the half brother, former janitor and hard drinking ex-navy SEAL, to the CEO of the company he's hacking! Will his mother, who's been in a comma for the last six years due to a mysterious fire at the family mansion, wake up and let her confused son know the man who taught him his 3l1t3 skillz is no other than the man who shot his twin brother and caused him to turn to the Dark side...

;-)
<<

hayabusa

Post Fri May 14, 2010 9:36 pm

chrisj wrote:
hayabusa wrote:I was thinking the suggestion came from the voiceover, but that she said it, herself, also...  I'd have to re-watch, as well.

Voice over: ... Although Adeanna says she only uses the her skills for good, sometimes she wishes she didn't posses them

Adeanna: "It ruins any hope for any relationship"

Oh, I nailed it!!! <grin>

And @What90 - that was great!
~ hayabusa ~ 

OSCE, OSCP , GPEN, C|EH
<<

zeroflaw

Post Sat May 15, 2010 4:51 am

I only saw a bit of dumpster diving, social engineering and scrolling through facebook or some social site lol.

Yea hacking is really easy ::) Now I'm wondering when should someone be considered a hacker? I mean anyone can get the answer to a secret question...right?
ZF

Return to News from the Outside World