Go on course, Hand Notice in, Anyone been in my shoes?

<<

delusion

Post Fri May 07, 2010 7:04 pm

Go on course, Hand Notice in, Anyone been in my shoes?

Hey all  :D

Struggling to sleep over my current situation  :'( if you have been in my shoes then advice would be muchly appreciated.

The scenario is that my company wants to send me on a windows 7 course, the course is at college and will cost £1400 and must be sat at college, its not one that the boss would be happy me doing off my own back, as its a pass fast course, something like 3 days and WHAM I have another badge  :o :) :D ;D

Now to remove too much bloat and to cut to the chase, frankly I want to hand my notice in as I am not happy with the direction my careers taking me.  To me happiness is more important than a pay check, dont get my wrong I am very career focused and would regret it if this had a direct impact in the future, if I was to be frowned upon, plz keep that in mind.

If asked as I vague thought I will go along with the lines of making my future employee clear I was not happy travelling along the road my previous career was going, hence throwing in the white towl, again vague thought.

I have until Sunday night to mule this one over.

I have also been mulling over going to uni, which some of you may of read in a previous post.  My application has been deferred for a year due to money.

So with all this in mind has anyone felt stuck in a job they are unhappy to be in, politely laid the white town down and come out smiling OR is this a dumb dumb move? Thoughts plz guys, look forward to hearing your voice on this one!  ;D
You Cant Resolve Problems Whilst At WAR!
<<

rvs

Post Fri May 07, 2010 7:22 pm

Re: Go on course, Hand Notice in, Anyone been in my shoes?

at least you get a badge or a certificate and company is giving you a chance. Though it seems your path is not going the way you want it. Try to look some positive things about it. Cuz on my shoe, its been forever and I am dying to get a free training coming from my employers pockets. Alas! Zero Nada!

I paid for my own. I study on my own. Good thing this forum keeps me motivated in learning security. So I guess lucky you.

One more thing economy is still picking up how sure are you that its easy to look for one and the one you really want. How sure are you that you would get it. Try to think of that.
<<

rattis

Post Fri May 07, 2010 7:27 pm

Bosses are not mind readers. I think sitting down and talking over the fact you want your career to go in a different way might be a good idea.

Don't try to be negative, but tell him what you'd be more interested in doing and seeing if 1, that is what the company needs, and 2 if he has any advice.

When you look for another job, tell them you want a new challenge and the direction you want to go wasn't aligned with the current company.

I hate my job, but I'm sticking it out until I have an offer in hand from another one. In the mean time, I'm trying to pay off my debt, start a savings buffer, and try to scratch money together to start doing certifications I want.
OSWP, Sec+
<<

delusion

Post Fri May 07, 2010 7:40 pm

Speedy responses, nice!

rvs - I mention the cost as this is something I will have to pay back as soon as I land my next job! I appreciate they are very good at courses, its just not a stripe I am keen on getting! Especially as I will need to pay back £1400 out of my own pocket, yeah fair enough if it was a course which I have planned out on my personal roadmap, by all means awesome! Not the case unfortunetly!

chrisj - I have had a chat with my manager he is very open, very honest and conpletly aware of my passion and enthusiam toward networking and security! All round a very nice manager to work for!  Unfortunely the company is too small for me to rise the ranks and the companies not doing overly great, he was very straight with me and said its very unlikely anything will change and he didnt want to fill me with bullshit!

Yeah the economy is messy, thats my main concern! Cheers for the voices, appreciated :P
<<

What90

Post Fri May 07, 2010 8:04 pm

Hello delusion,

Chrisj offers a very sensible approach to your issue. I'll add that talking to your boss is a good way to go, but go in with a thought out plan first.

If you walk in without a plan or with a negative attitude, then you've leave the meeting unhappy and the boss will start to worry about you.

I've had people walking in a tell me their jobs stinks and they hate what they do and so on. I then ask what do they want to do and how they see this working for the company in the role they are in. The people with reasonable solutions on how to change things tend to be the ones that actually make changes happen. The people with no clue just get more unhappy and angry.

Write down 3-5 points on what your issues are and how they could be addressed. These have to fit in with your current job and what the company is willing to pay you for. Talk through your points with a friend or someone who's been a manager to get their view on your request, as that can help you think through what you are asking.

Sit down with the boss and be polite, answer his questions and if he blows you off, you'll know where you stand. Never get angry, rude or dismissive about your current role - just point out it's not where you'll like to see yourself in the next few years.  

As an example, suggest that you'll self study the Windows 7 course from books and then take the exam. Ask if you study and get the Ms cert, can the training funds be used for another course. That's when you present your prefer training and what it will do for the IT team/company.
They must think the Win7 training is important, so learn and pass it. Hopefully both sides win.

If they do just blow you off, remember it's easy getting another job while employed. Make sure you have a job before throwing any towels around :-)
<<

rattis

Post Fri May 07, 2010 10:51 pm

delusion wrote:Speedy responses, nice!

I appreciate they are very good at courses, its just not a stripe I am keen on getting! Especially as I will need to pay back £1400 out of my own pocket, yeah fair enough if it was a course which I have planned out on my personal roadmap, by all means awesome! Not the case unfortunetly!

my manager he is very open, very honest and conpletly aware of my passion and enthusiam toward networking and security! All round a very nice manager to work for!  Unfortunely the company is too small for me to rise the ranks and the companies not doing overly great, he was very straight with me and said its very unlikely anything will change and he didnt want to fill me with bullshit!

Being a network and linux guy, I wouldn't mind taking the Windows training class. Not because I want to learn windows, but want to see how to improve the network those systems are on. Weakest link on the network.

Remember security isn't all about access lists, firewalls, and breaking into systems. it's about KNOWING how to break into the systems, knowing how to patch the systems, and how to lock them down. The other steps are how to prove they're locked down.

They might not have the ability to grow the way you want. It does sound like a good place to get the lumps out of the way first. The more the better. Learn to do patches, and keep up on them. Learn to install and rollout AV. Learn to make automated installs. Learn how to lock the systems down.

Place I work for can't afford to pay their bills. But as long as they make pay roll and don't ask me to break the laws, or go against my morals I don't walk. I've told my manager (Executive VP, part owner of the company) as much. The company isn't moving in the direction I want either. My goals and their direction don't match up. Yes I want a different job. But they're letting me do what I want (mostly) as long as I get the stuff I need to keep the company running done.
OSWP, Sec+
<<

Anquilas

Post Sat May 08, 2010 5:03 am

I've been in such a situation just3 months ago really.
Had a good job, paid good, good collegue's, .. But the job itself just made me depressed, it wasn't getting me at all in the direction I was going for.

So I quitted that job, and haven't regretted it ever since. But one big sidenote: I went looking for another job first. Loyalty is important, but being able to pay the bills even more so.

Ofcourse, if you got a place to go, or a few probable options, you can quit, save your company money and get into the career path that makes you happy.
Twitter: https://twitter.com/dietervds
Blog: https://synquell.wordpress.com (not much there yet)

The beginning of knowledge is the discovery of something we do not understand.
<<

j0rDy

Post Sun May 09, 2010 4:02 am

Well, i guess i can post this here now without consequences.

i also got a new job. i was in the same position as you (getting all the freedom i could want, payed for certificates, etc.) but not the work i wanted. i knew after TALKING TO MY MANAGER i would get them neither. it simply wasnt there core business, so the projects that did came along, should be cherished and the rest of the time i would be forced to do something else. this made me apply for another job. this career decision came a lot earlier then i expected, but i am happy i made the choice i did.

made a decision yet? (its sunday here, dont know where you live?)
CISSP, CEH, ECSA, OSCP, OSWP

earning my stripes appears to be a road i must travel alone...with a little help of EH.net
<<

delusion

Post Sun May 09, 2010 10:13 am

Hey guys  ;D

Thanks for all your feedback, its been really helpful  :P

I've given it much consideration and really going to stay positive on this one, keep my cool and put all my energy and focus into getting a new job and brushing up on my interview skills.  I have set my heart on working for an outsourced company as from experience and from a recent interview this is the kind of company I want to grow in, unfortunetly I didnt get that interview, but I will see this as a learning experience and something I need to work on.

Again, really helpful guys  8)
<<

j0rDy

Post Sun May 09, 2010 10:18 am

No problem! we are not only here for the vulnerabilities and the exploits, we are also here for moral support and good (social) advice 8)
CISSP, CEH, ECSA, OSCP, OSWP

earning my stripes appears to be a road i must travel alone...with a little help of EH.net
<<

Anquilas

Post Sun May 09, 2010 2:05 pm

Nice decision, feel free to keep us informed! :)
Twitter: https://twitter.com/dietervds
Blog: https://synquell.wordpress.com (not much there yet)

The beginning of knowledge is the discovery of something we do not understand.
<<

delusion

Post Mon May 10, 2010 7:15 am

Nice one i'll keep ya'll posted  8)

Return to Career Central