Is WPA-PSK2 a decent connection or should I get something stronger?

<<

Bryce

Post Mon Apr 26, 2010 4:20 pm

Is WPA-PSK2 a decent connection or should I get something stronger?

Just wondering if WPA-PSK2 is a decent connection or should I try and get something stronger?  90% of my street is using this type of encryption and I'm not worried about anyone getting in, but I just wanna see about getting something stronger.

And also, do you use VPNs whenever you are n public wifi to get back to your home that's secured or what?

And why do I find myself packet sniffing, etc at the library.  What do I think I'm going to find :(.  I honestly don't know why I do it, maybe just because I can lol.  Not like I can read packets anyways lol.
<<

dynamik

Recruiters
Recruiters

Post Mon Apr 26, 2010 4:42 pm

Re: Is WPA-PSK2 a decent connection or should I get something stronger?

It's going to be as strong as they key you choose to use. It's not going to be secure if you use 'a' as your key. I get something from here and copy-paste into my devices: https://www.grc.com/passwords.htm

I VPN back somewhere if I'm using the connection for something I wouldn't want people to eavesdrop on. If you're just using it to check the news, watch YouTube, etc. it may not be necessary. Be wary of what cookies are transmitted or any other service that'll be logging on in the background though.

Packet sniffing is always a good thing to do (assuming you have permission and are doing so ethically). It's good to get used to seeing how things work.
The day you stop learning is the day you start becoming obsolete.
<<

Bryce

Post Mon Apr 26, 2010 5:11 pm

Only reason I'd be sniffing would be to just learn how to read packets and all.

I use a pretty secure key, just wondering if I should get a better encryption or whatever.  I was wondering if I should use KeePass or something and change ALL my passwords to some random 32 digit key or something then use a password that's strong, but I can remember as the key to the database.  What would you suggest about that?

I fired up WireShark on my network and I was flooded with packets.  95% of it was from my brother's xbox though lol.
<<

dynamik

Recruiters
Recruiters

Post Mon Apr 26, 2010 10:00 pm

Using a key like what I posted is going to give you a very secure connection. One of the main advantages of moving to Enterprise from PSK is key distribution, which isn't a big concern when you only have a small number of users.

You'll want to check out this book: http://www.wiresharkbook.com/

The capture and/or display filters will help you work with the data much more easily. It's overwhelming if you just look at everything simultaneously.

I like KeePass a lot. I think 32 random characters is overkill for most sites. Password length and complexity should be proportionate to the sensitivity of data/level of access. Random forums probably don't need passwords as strong as the ones for your bank accounts. It's also important to reuse passwords as little as possible. If a forum gets compromised, you don't want that to be the same info for critical accounts.

You might want to consider passphrases as well. They're much more easier to remember, yet they are still complex from a guessing perspective.

For example: Dinner?Pizza&17Beers!
The day you stop learning is the day you start becoming obsolete.

Return to Wireless