security consultant/ethical hacker redefined

<<

j0rDy

Post Fri Apr 23, 2010 6:37 am

security consultant/ethical hacker redefined

Verizon has opted an idea to redefine the term "security reseacher" to make it more transparent and more clearly for the outside world. I think its just a way to eliminate some pre-work you have to do when you hire somebody like that. if you do a background check and a little research on previous employers you can eliminate most of the threats before you even have to meet them, or am i wrong?

article:
http://securityblog.verizonbusiness.com/2010/04/22/redefining-security-researcher/
CISSP, CEH, ECSA, OSCP, OSWP

earning my stripes appears to be a road i must travel alone...with a little help of EH.net
<<

Ketchup

Post Fri Apr 23, 2010 7:09 am

Re: security consultant/ethical hacker redefined

Narcissistic Vulnerability Pimp: One who – solely for the purpose of self-glorification and self-gratification – harms business and society by irresponsibly disclosing information that makes things less secure.

Interesting
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Ketchup
<<

unsupported

Post Fri Apr 23, 2010 7:45 am

Narcissistic Vulnerability Pimp: One who – solely for the purpose of self-glorification and self-gratification – harms business and society by irresponsibly disclosing information that makes things less secure.

Sounds like Verizon is using their head to find that stick that is up their ass.  Not all vulnerability researchers are classified this way.  I have read numerous personal accounts and methods for being an ethical security researcher and there comes a point where the needs of the many out weight the needs of a few businesses.

Regardless of that fact, security needs these "pimps".  The more we know about the vulnerabilities the more we can mitigation.
-Un
CISSP, GCIH, GCIA, C|EH, Sec+, Net+, MCP
<<

venom77

Post Fri Apr 23, 2010 12:51 pm

Were they victims of something recently?

Return to News from the Outside World