Long time lurker

<<

DavidW

Post Wed Apr 21, 2010 10:05 pm

Long time lurker

This has been a long time coming so here we go.  I started in the IT business back in 2000-2003 at a Gateway call center as a phone technician and then circumstances in life and moving caused me to have to leave my first IT job.  I was able to get back into the business in 2005.  I started in the call center renewing internet accounts and walking users through power cycling their DSL modem and other hardware, moved from there to the service department repairing PCs and some servers, scanning for viruses and spyware, etc. and then moved to my present position where everyday there is something different going on.  I work at what some would call a "help desk/ dispatch" position but it is much more than that.  I do everything through remotely and perform the same duties that an onsite technician would do aside from delivering and installing new hardware but I also answer phones assisting customers with their issues and opening new tickets.  I didn't mean to be long winded but I didn't want to have a couple word introduction.

I stumbled upon this site in the beginning of 2007 when I started studying for my MCSE again.  I was interested getting MCSE: Security and search for sec+ forums lead to a certification that I never heard of, CEH and a search for CEH forums led me to this site.  The rest is history :).  I don't get to read the postings on here as much as I'd like to but I have to say that everybody is very helpful and take time to answer questions that are asked even if the answer to a question being asked could be found with some google searches  :P  I still haven't taken Sec+ just yet, I had it scheduled and there was a serious flu period at work and everybody was sick, a lot was going on and when test day came and went I didn't even realize it and I lost out on my invesment.  I will be booking that test again in the near future.  I've been fortunate to work for employers that either give you the first test for free with no initial investment or, as in my case now, will reimburse you for your first test attempt and if you fail you're on your own for that test.  I am now starting on my journey in INFOSEC, something that I've been interested in for quite sometime but I wanted to get experience in the field before seriously pursuing it.  I look forward to contributing when I can and learning a lot from all the knowledgable people on this forum.  I will keep everyone posted as I pursue my this journey.  I've thoughts of CEH after Sec+ but it would be great to take a PWB course but that is something that my employer is presently not reimbursing for but I haven't given up :)  I missed out on last month's giveaway by staying in lurker status.  And on a last note, but certainly not least, don's DIY lecture was a great help for me to get things on track for my INFOSEC career.  I love to learn and try to do so everyday as life allows.  Family time needs to happen too.  And I almost forgot to mention that my primary focus is pentesting.  I look forward to talk to all of you.
Last edited by DavidW on Thu Apr 22, 2010 6:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
A+, Security+, MCP, MCSA:Security - Server 2003, MCSE:Security - Server 2003, MCTS,  MCITP: Enterprise Support Technician, MCITP: Server Administrator

Presently working on C|EH
<<

dynamik

Recruiters
Recruiters

Post Wed Apr 21, 2010 10:46 pm

Re: Long time lurker

Welcome to the forums!

I'd personally go for the CEH before attempting to move on to PWB. You can think of the CEH as an overview of ethical hacking. You obviously don't need to get the cert itself prior to starting PWB, but you really should have that level of knowledge (at a minimum).

Good luck with your future endeavors, and let us know if there's anything we can do to help!
The day you stop learning is the day you start becoming obsolete.
<<

j0rDy

Post Thu Apr 22, 2010 4:39 am

quite a story! Welcome to EH.net!

like said (in this topic and others) i would go for CEH first. This really sets your mind to the hacker mindset. It gives a good foundation in tools that are used and what they do. This is basic knowledge you must obtain before attempting any ethical hacking. Good luck and keep us informed!
CISSP, CEH, ECSA, OSCP, OSWP

earning my stripes appears to be a road i must travel alone...with a little help of EH.net
<<

unsupported

Post Thu Apr 22, 2010 9:02 am

Welcome to the site.  I took a similar approach to information security by coming up through grunt work at the helldesk.  It was strange, I never had much interest in getting my MCSE or whatnot, but once I got into security I've taken off in regards to my certifications.  Security Plus was my first step and it was a good one.

Again, welcome.  If you have any questions, let us know.
-Un
CISSP, GCIH, GCIA, C|EH, Sec+, Net+, MCP
<<

venom77

Post Thu Apr 22, 2010 10:23 am

Nice introduction. Welcome to the community :)
<<

MicroJay

Post Thu Apr 22, 2010 11:44 am

Welcome aboard!  This is the place if you have questions or even give an insight of things being discussed.  ;)
GSEC - GCIH - GSNA - GPEN
<<

DavidW

Post Thu Apr 22, 2010 7:03 pm

Thank you everybody for the warm welcome :)
A+, Security+, MCP, MCSA:Security - Server 2003, MCSE:Security - Server 2003, MCTS,  MCITP: Enterprise Support Technician, MCITP: Server Administrator

Presently working on C|EH
<<

Ketchup

Post Thu Apr 22, 2010 9:06 pm

Welcome to the club!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Ketchup
<<

hayabusa

Post Fri Apr 23, 2010 6:57 am

Welcome aboard!
~ hayabusa ~ 

"All men can see these tactics whereby I conquer, but what none can see is the strategy out of which victory is evolved." - Sun Tzu, 'The Art of War'

OSCE, OSCP , GPEN, C|EH

Return to News Items and General Discussion About EH-Net