CEH Tools detected by Antivirus

<<

JollyJokker

Post Wed Apr 14, 2010 2:34 pm

CEH Tools detected by Antivirus

:-[

Hello all, this is my first post on this forum but definitely not my last one; I will try to contribute as much as possible.

and now my noob, embarrassing question:

I am taking the CEH exam within the next months and I have been given a 4-DVD set of CEH material. In the Trojan and Backdoors module, a number of famous Trojans is included.

However, my Karpersky Antivirus, after a System Scan, detected this software as Threats (attachment - partial report).

My question is: since I am not executing them, should I be worried? I am thinking of moving the material in a Virtual Machine to keep them in a controlled environment but even if I don't...should I be worried?

Thank you all in advance,

~JJ
<<

n1p

Post Wed Apr 14, 2010 2:47 pm

Re: CEH Tools detected by Antivirus

It's not a noob question and I've seen many experience not ask these kind of questions and get infected :P

First off, welcome to the forums.

From the screenshot, it seems that they do in fact provide some malware samples. I would also imagine they warn that the module includes live samples and to take appropriate care.

Certainly, move them to the Virtual machine and keep them there. Also allow Host-Only networking to prevent the malware from accessing the internet.

As long as they are not executed. They can't do any harm. To be on the safe side I also rename the extensions on malware from .exe to something non-executable like .exz.

Hope that helps,
n1p
<<

ziggy_567

Post Wed Apr 14, 2010 2:51 pm

If the DVD is from a trusted source, you will not likely infect yourself without executing the reported trojans.

The safest way of handling these trojans would be to move them to a VM that you have a clean snapshot of. Also, if you have adminstrator rights on the box, you can disable AV checks for the directory where you store the files.

I would not recommend disabling AV checks on your DVD drive, though. Make sure you move the files off the DVD to your local filesystem! If you disable AV on a directory, though, you need to be extra careful when you work out of that directory.
--
Ziggy

eCPPT - GSEC - GCIH - GWAPT - GCUX - RHCE - SCSecA - Security+ - Network+
<<

venom77

Post Wed Apr 14, 2010 3:24 pm

JollyJokker wrote:In the Trojan and Backdoors module, a number of famous Trojans is included.

However, my Karpersky Antivirus, after a System Scan, detected this software as Threats (attachment - partial report).

I think I'd be more worried if my antivirus software were not detecting well-known trojans ;)

But yes, that's common for the tools that are included on the CEH discs. It's also not limited to just that module either, as many other tools may alert your antivirus software that they are 'hacktools' or something similar.
<<

JollyJokker

Post Wed Apr 14, 2010 4:03 pm

Thank you very much for the warm welcoming and replies.

Unfortunately, this material is stored on my HDD as an .iso and mounted on a Virtual DVD Drive.

As suggested, I guess I will have to rip it on a DVD and/or keep it in a VM.

BillV wrote:It's also not limited to just that module either, as many other tools may alert your antivirus software that they are 'hacktools' or something similar.

Indeed, I have been an AVG victim...one of those that could not have Metasploit installed because AVG blocked the installation...  :o
<<

j0rDy

Post Thu Apr 15, 2010 3:09 am

first of all welcome to EH.net! like said before it is wisely to run such tools in a virtual environment. Good luck and keep us updated on the CEH status!
CISSP, CEH, ECSA, OSCP, OSWP

earning my stripes appears to be a road i must travel alone...with a little help of EH.net
<<

JollyJokker

Post Thu Apr 15, 2010 5:48 am

Thank you very much j0rDy!

I will keep you updated with my progress and results, be them positive or negative. I really enjoy it, I just wish I could train more while at work. Unfortunately, it is more of a Security Management job so it does not involve plenty of hands-on/dirty work  :(

Cheers!
<<

venom77

Post Fri Apr 16, 2010 12:45 pm

Out of curiosity, and not pointing fingers or anything, but where did you get the CEH DVD's? You mentioned that you had "been given" the discs. Plus, since you're asking whether your anti-virus should flag it, it comes as though you're suspicious of the material you received.

I don't know why I didn't catch that before, but now I'm just curious. You certainly don't have to answer (I know, as well as many, that if you dig far enough you can hunt the discs down - not that I'd necessarily trust them, but they are out there.).
<<

JollyJokker

Post Mon Apr 26, 2010 7:48 am

@BillV

Sorry for delaying my answer but I just saw your reply... my apologies.

I was given the DVD's by a colleague also in the security field (probably downloaded via torrent?). I definitely cannot say that I trust this material. After I got them I instantly had them scanned and that's when I posted this question. I have been performing weekly scans since then and the only reported infected files or Trojans are within the specific location. I haven't even browsed the material and I am not planning to, not until I have them contained within a specific environment (VM in the beginning but now on an offline lab Windows System).

Nevertheless, since the Antivirus only reports Trojans in the specific location, it does not seem that anything outside of this location has been infected. is that a safe conclusion?
Last edited by JollyJokker on Mon Apr 26, 2010 7:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
<<

venom77

Post Mon Apr 26, 2010 9:27 am

JollyJokker wrote:Nevertheless, since the Antivirus only reports Trojans in the specific location, it does not seem that anything outside of this location has been infected. is that a safe conclusion?

Yeah, I'd think so.

Return to Malware