Post Sun Apr 04, 2010 10:02 pm

What have I missed by not doing a CSci degree?

I'll spare you the back-story, but I'm about to wrap up a degree in psychology, and essentially, I'm just curious what I've missed out on. Now, I'm completely capable of teaching myself C or any other programming language (and I'm decent with a few), but I'm wonder what else would be useful that I might have missed out on.

For example, are they any sort of design concepts that I may have missed out on, or would those mostly just be applicable to enterprise, scientific, or any larger-scale applications?

I've gone through calculus, but would there be any higher-level math that I might find extremely useful in any future endeavors?

I work primarily on the systems/networking side of things and am mostly looking at this from a hobbyist perspective. I don't have any plans to go into cryptanalysis or become a full-time exploit developer or anything like that. It might be something I get more serious about in the future, but I'd never want to do that full-time. I just want to dive a little deeper into what I do and have a better understanding of how things work.

It'd be fun to be able to write (severely limited) versions of nmap and hping. Maybe do a little exploit development or reverse engineering. Stuff like that. I just have this feeling like I've missed out on something that would be beneficial (not that I ever considered having that knowledge to be a bad thing), but I'm not sure if that's just in my head or if there are some knowledge gaps that I should work on filling.

I consider myself to be relatively knowledgeable, but I just feel like I need to delve a little deeper into things to get this script-kiddie stench off of my ;)

Oh well, I do perform some social engineering on occasion, so at least I can pretend I'm putting my degree to use...
The day you stop learning is the day you start becoming obsolete.