[Offer] Professional Penetration Testing: Creating And Operating A Formal Hacki

<<

studs

Post Fri Apr 02, 2010 10:27 am

[Offer] Professional Penetration Testing: Creating And Operating A Formal Hacki

*** URL Removed by Moderator ***

Save yourself some money! This complete classroom-in-a-book on penetration testing provides material that can cost upwards of $1,000 for a fraction of the price!
Thomas Wilhelm has delivered pen testing training to countless security professionals and now through the pages of this book you can benefit from his years of experience as a professional penetration tester and educator. After reading this book you will be able to create a personal penetration test lab that can deal with real-world vulnerability scenarios.
Penetration testing is the act of testing a network to find security vulnerabilities before they are exploited by phishers, digital piracy groups, and countless other organized or individual Malicious hackers. The material presented will be useful to beginners all the way through to advanced practitioners.

Audience
Penetration testers, IT security consultants and practitioners

Contents
PART I - Setting Up
Chapter 1: Introduction
Chapter 2: Ethics and Hacking
Chapter 3: Hacking as a Career
Chapter 4: Setting up Your Lab
Chapter 5: Creating and Using PenTest Targets in Your Lab
Chapter 6: Methodologies
Chapter 7: PenTest Metrics
Chapter 8: Management of a PenTest

PART II - Running a PenTest
Chapter 9: Information Gathering
Chapter 10: Vulnerability Identification
Chapter 11: Vulnerability Verification
Chapter 12: Compromising a System and Privilege Escalation
Chapter 13: Maintaining Access
Chapter 14: Covering Your Tracks

PART III - Wrapping Everything Up
Chapter 15: Reporting Results
Chapter 16: Archiving Data
Chapter 17: Cleaning Up Your Lab
Chapter 18: Planning for Your Next PenTest

Appendix A - Acronyms
Appendix B - Definitions

EnJoyZzzzz
Last edited by studs on Fri Apr 02, 2010 11:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
CEH, CCSP, CCNA, CWLANF(Cisco Wireless LAN Fundamental)
<<

hayabusa

Post Fri Apr 02, 2010 10:42 am

Re: [Offer] Professional Penetration Testing: Creating And Operating A Formal Hacki

Tell me again, studs, how this is 'ethical'?  BTW, Thomas is a valued member, here, and I'm sure he wouldn't be too thrilled about your posting a 'hot' link to his book.........
~ hayabusa ~ 

"All men can see these tactics whereby I conquer, but what none can see is the strategy out of which victory is evolved." - Sun Tzu, 'The Art of War'

OSCE, OSCP , GPEN, C|EH
<<

studs

Post Fri Apr 02, 2010 11:00 am

Re: [Offer] Professional Penetration Testing: Creating And Operating A Formal Hacki

If its not ethical then why this book is available freely on net. I am not the person who bought this book someone uploaded it and i have downloaded it. If you feel that this is wrong then delete it .I am sorry if i heart any1.
<<

hayabusa

Post Fri Apr 02, 2010 11:06 am

studs... wasn't trying to offend.  Just making the point... 

"Freely available on the net" doesn't mean that the person posting it had permission of the author, or any right to distribute it.  Remember, there are reasons for copyright laws...  to protect the income of the person who created the book, video, or whatever.

Don't take offense.  just learn from it, and try to avoid things like this in the future.  :)
~ hayabusa ~ 

"All men can see these tactics whereby I conquer, but what none can see is the strategy out of which victory is evolved." - Sun Tzu, 'The Art of War'

OSCE, OSCP , GPEN, C|EH
<<

UNIX

Post Fri Apr 02, 2010 11:22 am

Oh .. reported. :)
<<

don

Administrator
Administrator

Post Fri Apr 02, 2010 11:44 am

I was at a wake last week with my family. In the waiting room of the funeral home was a soft drink machine that was mistakenly left unlocked by an employee. One of the guests figured this out and decided that it would be a good idea to take as much soda as he could and also to tell all of the children to do the same.

My son asked me what they were doing, and I simply asked (loud enough for my son and all of the other kids to hear), just because you can take it, does it mean that you should. My son immediately started telling the other kids that it was wrong to steal.

My son made a decision on his own to lead by example. So are the members of EH-Net. This is also why I'm not removing this thread but adding to it this story.

So were you wrong to take advantage of the free download, studs? What you do on your own is totally up to you, and I'll pass no judgment on it. But did you become an accessory when you posted it for others to take? Hmmmmm...

Don
CISSP, MCSE, CSTA, Security+ SME
<<

hayabusa

Post Fri Apr 02, 2010 11:59 am

Great analogy, don, thanks!  I was thinking of posting one, myself, but was trying to decide among a few I had on my mind.  You've always got good ones.  And I fully agree with not deleting, but rather, leaving it, as a reminder of why we think and react as we do.  Thanks!

You see, studs, my family is made up, very heavily, of musicians and composers.  (Don't ask me how I wound up the odd man out...)  My father is a minister, and also owns a recording studio, so when I see printed works, recorded works or others, and I see folks promote or distribute 'free' copies, that aren't really free, but are being distributed without permission, I take into consideration how my family members would feel and react, understanding that it's a potential loss of compensation for something they put a lot of time into.  don's analogy looks at it from a slightly different perspective, but in reality, it's still the same ethics, being looked at from different angles.

So studs, again, we're not passing judgment on you.  Rather, my original reply was to make you think, and to let you know it's frowned upon.  My original question, "Tell me again, studs, how this is 'ethical'?" was just that, a question, to make you think about it.  Your actions are your own, and as don said, you need to decide what you feel is right.
Last edited by hayabusa on Fri Apr 02, 2010 12:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
~ hayabusa ~ 

OSCE, OSCP , GPEN, C|EH
<<

studs

Post Fri Apr 02, 2010 1:29 pm

I apologize for this, But What you people going to do with the Links that are already posted here TONS of links for EBOOKS. Those books are also written by someone. Dont cover single person Cover everyone, delete all the links and also apply Ban on posting any book.
<<

don

Administrator
Administrator

Post Fri Apr 02, 2010 2:16 pm

Please kindly share the link. I can think of many that I deleted but one I kept up, because it seemed as though the links pointed to things that did not violate any laws. At least that appeared to be the case in the lengthy discussion in that thread. I could be wrong.

Don
CISSP, MCSE, CSTA, Security+ SME
<<

Grendel

Post Fri Apr 02, 2010 3:16 pm

Thanks Don - appreciate it.

Studs -
There are a lot of open source and copyleft material available on the Internet, and I have contributed to that movement extensively. Please feel free to take advantage of it all. The wealth of truly free information available out there is extensive and valuable - if you need any help finding it, please don't hesitate to ask me directly or this community via the forum. Thanks and enjoy!

(oh, and please delete any illegal copy of my book you might have. >;-)  Karma is a bitch, and I don't want her kicking your ass)

- Tom
- Thomas Wilhelm, MSCS MSM
ISSMP CISSP SCSECA SCNA IEM

Web Site:
  • http://HackingDojo.com
Author:
  • Professional Penetration Testing
  • Ninja Hacking
  • Penetration Tester's Open Source Toolkit
  • Metasploit Toolkit for Penetration Testing
  • Netcat Power Tools
<<

hayabusa

Post Fri Apr 02, 2010 3:33 pm

wow, Tom...  can I quote that one (the karma one) or did you borrow it already?   :P  

Oh, and studs...  when you (assumably) buy a copy of the book, it is an excellent read!  It's sitting on my shelf, next to me, right now.

Cheers all!
~ hayabusa ~ 

OSCE, OSCP , GPEN, C|EH
<<

Grendel

Post Fri Apr 02, 2010 3:37 pm

hayabusa wrote:wow, Tom...  can I quote that one (the karma one) or did you borrow it already?   :P 

I'll add this to the Karma quote:

Copyleft; All Wrongs Reserved

LOL
- Thomas Wilhelm, MSCS MSM
ISSMP CISSP SCSECA SCNA IEM

Web Site:
  • http://HackingDojo.com
Author:
  • Professional Penetration Testing
  • Ninja Hacking
  • Penetration Tester's Open Source Toolkit
  • Metasploit Toolkit for Penetration Testing
  • Netcat Power Tools
<<

hayabusa

Post Fri Apr 02, 2010 3:40 pm

<grin>  nice!
~ hayabusa ~ 

OSCE, OSCP , GPEN, C|EH
<<

j0rDy

Post Tue Apr 06, 2010 3:37 am

wow, gone for a few days and i miss all the action!

i think in such a small field like penetration testing/ethical hacking (maybe even security in general) all material that is not available for free should stay that way. often there are good reasons its not free (someone's got to eat and likes to see his hard work and effort pay off). Ofcourse i'm no saint, and have gathered some ebooks illegally, but i buy the ones i like just to keep them as a reference on my bookshelf. only by doing so you support the people who like to share their knowledge.
CISSP, CEH, ECSA, OSCP, OSWP

earning my stripes appears to be a road i must travel alone...with a little help of EH.net

Return to Network Pen Testing