Computer Forensics Associations

<<

snortymcsnort

Post Wed Mar 31, 2010 10:38 am

Computer Forensics Associations

Hi, I am interested in getting involved with a professional association that focuses on computer forensics but am not sure which ones are the best for someone trying to get into the field.  I am looking for one that is pretty active,  provides training resources and possibly has regional events.  Is anyone here active in these groups and would recommend getting involved with them?

Thanks
<<

UNIX

Post Wed Mar 31, 2010 1:04 pm

Re: Computer Forensics Associations

It might help to tell where are you located, especially when looking for local groups and events. Have you already looked at SANS?
<<

snortymcsnort

Post Wed Mar 31, 2010 1:23 pm

I am in Tampa, FL.  I sent in an application to the Florida Association of Computer Crime Investigators.  I was wondering about anyone's experiences with International Information Systems Forensics Association, High Tech Crime Investigation Association and any others that are not specifically for law enforcement. 

Thanks
<<

Ketchup

Post Wed Mar 31, 2010 2:36 pm

HTCIA is definitely a good organization to be a member of.  You can also consider going after the CCE certification, which is becoming increasing popular.  Their members-only message boards have a good wealth of information, and even engagement leads sometimes. 
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Ketchup
<<

snortymcsnort

Post Wed Mar 31, 2010 3:21 pm

Thanks for the replies.  CCE is on my radar, but I am currently working towards my CHFI.  Also I would like to take the SANS forensic courses but self study is all my budget is going to handle.
<<

veritas_libertas

Post Sat Apr 03, 2010 9:25 pm

You might consider ISSA. It's not specifically forensics, but I know members at mine that work specifically in forensics.

https://www.issa.org/
CCNA | Security+ | MCTS
<<

Dengar13

Post Sun Apr 04, 2010 8:23 am

I agree with ISSA as well if your budget is limited.  Good resources like v_l said. 

Tampa, huh?  Go Rays!!!  My favorite baseball team because the Pirates are the Pirates.  Liked them since '03.  ;D
A+, Net+, MCP, CEH
MCSE: Security/Messaging
MCSA: Security/Messaging
Former U.S. Marine and damn proud of it!

Return to Forensics