What is your preferred platform for

<<

Triban

Post Fri Mar 26, 2010 4:47 pm

What is your preferred platform for

I have yet to decide which platform I want to use for security testing.  I just rebuilt my Macbook since I no longer need it for work.  I have the following apps installed on it and not sure if I should any any others, I figure I could also toss on a VM or 2 for other applications (Backtrack).

KisMAC
Wireshark
NMAP 5.21
Nessus

Any other suggestions would be welcomed.  So what do the rest of you use?
Certs: GCWN
(@)Dewser
<<

Dengar13

Post Fri Mar 26, 2010 4:59 pm

Re: What is your preferred platform for

You should check out SamuraiWTF for web app pen testing...good stuff!

http://samurai.inguardians.com/
A+, Net+, MCP, CEH
MCSE: Security/Messaging
MCSA: Security/Messaging
Former U.S. Marine and damn proud of it!
<<

UNIX

Post Fri Mar 26, 2010 5:36 pm

No preferred platform here, I use whatever fits best and does the job. All platforms (and programs) have their pros and cons, so personally I see no reason why to limit myself only to one.
If you are more interested in the programs rather than a platform you might find the Top 100 Network Security Tools-list interesting. There it's also noted for which platform the tools are available and thereupon you could choose a particular platform if that's what you want.
<<

Triban

Post Sat Mar 27, 2010 3:00 pm

Just realized I never finished filling in the subject :D  I suppose I lean towards either my Windows laptop or my Mac.  I have tried linux a few times and just find that my knowledge of the OS sometimes hinders my ability to use it efficiently, but then again I am working on that.  It is tough to keep focused sometimes :D
(@)Dewser
<<

j0rDy

Post Sun Mar 28, 2010 4:49 am

you got the basic tooling covered (except for netcat! dont forget about netcat!). i could recommend to install 2 different versions of tooling for each job, to filter out false positives/negatives. to give a example:

use NMAP and unicornscan.

this way you get some sort of confirmation of the information found and possibly some differences (which you should double check with another tool) that could make or break your pentest.
CISSP, CEH, ECSA, OSCP, OSWP

earning my stripes appears to be a road i must travel alone...with a little help of EH.net
<<

Ketchup

Post Sun Mar 28, 2010 11:46 am

I prefer my netbook with Ubuntu.  It's extremely light and portable.  I supplement with a USB dongle wireless card that supports injection better and an external hard drive when I need extra storage not handled by my SSD drive.  There are just a few Windows tools that I cannot get working in Wine that force me to bring my notebook once in a while.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Ketchup
<<

KrisTeason

Post Sun Mar 28, 2010 2:44 pm

I'll also second the netbook. I purchased a EEE-PC 900HA a couple years back, scrapped the XP Installation and installed BackTrack. It runs BackTrack 3 & 4 pretty seemlessly - Love it  8) I believe the 1000 series models run it well too.
eCPPT (Silver/Gold), eWPT, GSEC, GISP, GCIH, OSCP, OSWP
<<

hayabusa

Post Sun Mar 28, 2010 5:03 pm

Ditto...  netbooks have worked well for BT.
~ hayabusa ~ 

"All men can see these tactics whereby I conquer, but what none can see is the strategy out of which victory is evolved." - Sun Tzu, 'The Art of War'

OSCE, OSCP , GPEN, C|EH
<<

Ketchup

Post Sun Mar 28, 2010 6:10 pm

I have an HP Mini 1000 myself.  I am very happy with it, especially after upgrading the RAM to 2GB.  The only thing I should have done differently is purchased one with HP's Linux distro.  I would have saved $50.  I wouldn't have used their distro and would have still used Ubuntu, but I would have enjoyed another two cases of beer or so.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Ketchup
<<

rattis

Post Sun Mar 28, 2010 11:00 pm

I'm thinking about getting a Lenovo Ideapad s10, in a month or two (should be able to afford it). I figure if it's good enough for SANS sec558, it'll be good enough for me.

I wonder if I can get some of the tools they install it, without taking their course.
OSWP, Sec+
<<

What90

Post Mon Mar 29, 2010 5:48 am

@Chrisj

Have you looked at SANS Investigative Forensic Toolkit (SIFT) Workstation: Version 2.0 ISO https://computer-forensics2.sans.org/co ... downloads/

I'm pretty sure that the basis of the image on those Lenovo Ideapad s10 they hand out.
<<

MicroJay

Post Mon Mar 29, 2010 5:53 am

I have an Acer Aspire One D250 Netbook.  I bumped it up to 2Gigs and put the latest BIOS on.  (Older BIOS's did not handle booting from SD slot.)  Put BT4 on the SD.  Have not had anything break with BT and the Acer.
GSEC - GCIH - GSNA - GPEN
<<

rattis

Post Mon Mar 29, 2010 8:32 am

What90

No I haven't. I know some of the tools were built for the forensic puzzles, and folded in. Some of them are really nice scripts. Nothing I can't do by hand, but automation makes it nicer.
OSWP, Sec+
<<

Triban

Post Tue Mar 30, 2010 4:57 pm

Hmmm sounds like I may have a reason to get a netbook soon :D 
(@)Dewser
<<

bunny

Post Wed Apr 07, 2010 3:18 am

MicroJay wrote:I have an Acer Aspire One D250 Netbook.  I bumped it up to 2Gigs and put the latest BIOS on.  (Older BIOS's did not handle booting from SD slot.)  Put BT4 on the SD.  Have not had anything break with BT and the Acer.

I'm also using the same netbook.  Unfortunately i'm unable to get the wireless drivers\card to work.  How did you manage it.

I've tried
update-rc.d wicd defaults
/etc/init.d/wicd start

before running startx but it doesn't pickup any wireless card.
Next

Return to Hardware