Practicing social engineering

<<

Anquilas

Post Thu Mar 25, 2010 4:07 pm

Practicing social engineering

Hi guys,

I find social engineering one of the most interesting aspects of hacking, and definitely one that speaks highly to the imagination.
Since I sort of pride myself in my social skills (sometimes), I do hope to give it a decent shot and get some experience.

I wanted to ask you guys: how do you practice it?
Without an actual assignment that is, just as a hobby, but still being legal and all.
What do you do, when and where, and what if you get caught?
I'm looking for some inspiration in this area tbh.

Cheers and thanks,

Anq
Twitter: https://twitter.com/dietervds
Blog: https://synquell.wordpress.com (not much there yet)

The beginning of knowledge is the discovery of something we do not understand.
<<

pizza1337

Post Thu Mar 25, 2010 4:23 pm

Re: Practicing social engineering

Friends, make them give away their important information, persuade them to let you use their computer(don't do anything bad, just change the wallpaper). Tell them what you could have done with it. Thats all i can think of right now.
Knowledge Resource is Power.
<<

Ketchup

Post Thu Mar 25, 2010 7:57 pm

I've actually been debating taking some acting lessons at a local school.  We have several art schools in the area that offer beginner classes. 
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Ketchup
<<

KrisTeason

Post Fri Mar 26, 2010 2:01 am

I mainly work on my social engineering skills online personally. Doing anything from impersonating users on various social networking sites (mainly MySpace) to PMing people in Chat Rooms and going from there.

It's a neat thing to be good at. You could always try selling lemonade outside of your house; trying to raise money for <what ever here>, or go door to door selling candy bars - claiming your <so and so> from <where ever> trying to raise money for <your lie here>.

@pizza - friends is another way to practice on - but some people may get offended your deceiving them & they fell for it. Don't want to lose friends now.

You may want to look into Mitnick's Book: The Art of Deception - you may like it!
eCPPT (Silver/Gold), eWPT, GSEC, GISP, GCIH, OSCP, OSWP
<<

Jhaddix

Post Fri Mar 26, 2010 3:05 am

For physical SE this is quite controversial, and i dont practice it personally, but i know people who needed more SE cajonesand practiced reflective SE at ponzi-scheme meetups, scientology recruitments, local debate clubs, auctions, etc.

Just make sure your actions do not hurt anyone (monetarily,physically, and emotionally) ...
<<

j0rDy

Post Fri Mar 26, 2010 7:35 am

Jhaddix wrote:Just make sure your actions do not hurt anyone (monetarily,physically, and emotionally) ...

i think this is key in practice!

if you come to think about it, even just by asking someone a question (even just talking to someone) gives you communication skills you can use later on. remeber that i am talking about a REAL topic you can discuss with someone, not just "chattering". so the more social you become, the more you can do to practice these skills.
CISSP, CEH, ECSA, OSCP, OSWP

earning my stripes appears to be a road i must travel alone...with a little help of EH.net
<<

Anquilas

Post Fri Mar 26, 2010 8:50 am

Indeed, it's the hurting that might make it a bad idea in some cases, as for example on friends. It depends on the case ofcourse.
Not hurting, not illegal. That's what makes it difficult to find something that you -can- do.

I like the idea of acting lessons though. I hate being on stage or anything though. But mano-a-mano it might come in handy.
The Mitnick book is indeed great. I started reading it a during holiday but never finished, I do have to pick that one up again.

Thanks already for the ideas guys.
Twitter: https://twitter.com/dietervds
Blog: https://synquell.wordpress.com (not much there yet)

The beginning of knowledge is the discovery of something we do not understand.
<<

UNIX

Post Fri Mar 26, 2010 3:45 pm

I'll second Jhaddix recommendations - practicing at places such as meetups and discussion groups is great as you can get in contact with many people etc. and a discussion with strangers is natural at those places.

pizza1337 wrote:Friends, make them give away their important information, persuade them to let you use their computer(don't do anything bad, just change the wallpaper). Tell them what you could have done with it. Thats all i can think of right now.

I think this is a complete different area here. Usually a friend will act differently to you than to a stranger, obviously, and I think it is common that a good friend would give you 'more options' than an unknown person. I wouldn't recommend to practice persuasion with a friend without his/ her knowledge or agreement.
<<

pizza1337

Post Fri Mar 26, 2010 5:43 pm

Knowledge Resource is Power.

Return to Social Engineering