Microsoft Cert Listing

<<

charlottebandit

Post Wed Jul 26, 2006 2:47 pm

Microsoft Cert Listing

I was wondering why many list all of their Microsoft certs on their signature or even on their resume?  Such as MCP, MCP+I, MCSA, MCSE...etc.

Now for SysAdm level, wouldn't it be easier to just say MCSE 2003 (Messaging/Security) and not bother listing all the underlining certs? 

Just an opinion.
MS, CCSP, CCNP, CCDP, CEH, CHFI, CPTS
<<

don

Administrator
Administrator

Post Wed Jul 26, 2006 3:09 pm

Re: Microsoft Cert Listing

I agree completely. If they are certs from different organizations or even different cert families within the same organization, than fine - list them. But in my opinion, it's overkill.

Don
CISSP, MCSE, CSTA, Security+ SME
<<

oyle

Post Thu Jul 27, 2006 8:35 am

On the other hand, by passing the related exams, you've earned the "right" to list them. In my case, all my MS certs, including the lesser ones (MCP, MCP+I), are still valid, so I still list them. While they may not be as "important" or "prestigous" as the MCSA or MCSE, they still were stepping stones to the "big momma", the MCSE. Besides, I'm still proud of them. I am proud of my certs; they are one of the few things in my life I have to be proud of. I may be a freak in this day and age, but I am one of the few out there that LOVE MICROSOFT. There, I said it. If Bill was right here, I'd kiss him on the mouth.
MWAH!  :P

I really DO love Microsoft.  ;D
MCP, MCP+I, MCSA, MCSE(NT4/W2K), CCNA, CCA, NWCCC, VH-PIRTS, CEH
--------------------
"hackers are like jedi, crackers are like the sith: do not fall prey to the dark side".

From 1337 h4x0r h4ndb00k: "the ten laws of geek", law x
                  -Tapeworm
<<

don

Administrator
Administrator

Post Thu Jul 27, 2006 9:53 am

Nothing wrong with being proud of an accomplishment, but it's know that if someone passes one exam they get the title MCP, 4 exams =- MCSA and 7 = MCSE. So by stating that you're an MCSE, we all know that you have the others.

It's like stating that you have a degree, and oh, by the way, I also graduated from preschool, elementarty school, middle school (for some of us) and high school. It's understood.

If you're trying to impress an HR Manager who has no clue about what the certs mean, then throw it on your resume. But for us techies in the know, it's really not needed.

My $.02,
Don
CISSP, MCSE, CSTA, Security+ SME
<<

Kev

Post Thu Jul 27, 2006 1:09 pm

I see nothing wrong if someone wishes to list all their certs as a personal reminder to themselves of the steps they have taken in their growth. I never list anything I have because I am  just too lazy!  My problem is that Oyle wants to kiss Bill Gates!  I am sure Bill is a great kisser but Jeeze!  Ha, Ha just kidding.  The only thing I find that might hold one back is if they rely too much on their certs to get them a job and I see that often. You need more than that!  In my experience, people hire you by the way you handle yourself and if you have some good recommendations.  If you seem friendly, motivated, and intelligent and act  like you know what you are talking about. Confidence instills confidence. The certs are the frosting  on the cake.  If you just throw your certs out there and expect the world to come begging you to  work for them, well you might have a long wait.
<<

oleDB

Recruiters
Recruiters

Post Fri Jul 28, 2006 9:21 am

Listing every cert you have or have had is right up there with listing your home computer specs in your signature ...

Return to General Certification