eLearnSecurity - Early Look at New Low Cost Training

<<

don

Administrator
Administrator

Post Thu Mar 18, 2010 9:32 am

eLearnSecurity - Early Look at New Low Cost Training

Hey All,

I know you've seen mention of eLearnSecurity in a few places on EH-Net, so I thought I'd share a little more info. Armando Romeo is putting the finishing touches on their new online hacking courses. They plan to offer both the Student Course and the Professional Course both for only $485.

That price point will put it in direct competition with the offerings of Offensive Security. They have a sample module available right now that will give you an idea of their training process. Take a look and offer some honest feedback. I'm a firm believer of competition, so the more low cost, high quality options available to the ethical hacking community the better.

While you're on their site, you might as well sign up for a 5% discount available for EH-Net Members. Take advantage of this pre-release offer now, as I'm not sure how long it will remain.

Just in case, here's a little more info. They describe their efforts as:

eLearnSecurity is a joint venture of 3 well known researchers who are going to hit the market of advanced IT Security training for the first time with a Penetration Testing Course for Professionals.

The course covers 3 main domains: Web Application Security – Network Security – System Security.

An interactive e-learning system will provide you with 1600 slides, self assessment tests and 4 hours of video training. Dozens of real world examples and a hacking lab will let you practice your acquired skills.

Other than the most advanced attacking techniques, Methodology and Reporting matters will be covered in depth.

The eCPPT Silver Certification exam will finally assess your pentesting and reporting skills.

Other instructors involved in this project are:

Brett D. Arion - U.S.A

Brett has 16+ years of experience in the IT industry, with over half that experience dealing with IT Security. Brett has worked to create IT Operational Security processes, procedures, and methodologies. Brett also has extensive experience with a number of Regulatory Requirements such as Payment Card Industry (PCI), Federal Information Systems Management Act (FISMA), and DoD Information Assurance Certification and Accreditation Process (DIACAP). Brett continually works to keep abreast of the security industry and fully believes that an educated user community is the only way that Internet Security will ultimately prevail. Brett also participates in security related organizations such as ISACA and Infragard, and currently serves on the Board for the local FBI Citizens Academy Alumni Association.

Brett is Author of "Penetration Testing Course - Network Security" and co-founder of eLearnSecurity

Nitin Kumar | Vipin Kumar - India

Nitin and Vipin are two of the brightest talents in IT Security research.
As independent researchers they are constantly involved in the System Security field.

They are the authors of the "Windows Vista Bootkit - Attacking Vista from Boot sectors"
( Black Hat 2007) and Windows 7 Bootkit (Hack in the Box 2009).

Nitin and Vipin are Authors of "Penetration Testing Course - System Security " and co-founders of eLearnSecurity

I look forward to your thoughts,
Don
CISSP, MCSE, CSTA, Security+ SME
<<

venom77

Post Thu Mar 18, 2010 9:46 am

Re: eLearnSecurity - Early Look at New Low Cost Training

I'm looking forward to this release! I had an opportunity a little while back to test, preview and provide feedback for a SQL Injection module. It was by far the most comprehensive training and coverage of the topic I have seen in any training class so far. If the rest of the training is similar, this is definitely going to be some great training.

BillV
<<

KrisTeason

Post Thu Mar 18, 2010 11:12 am

@BillV - I see above with this course it says 4 hours of video is offered - was most of the content in the SQL Injection module covered in the video? I think muts goes through the majority of the content in offensive-security's courses.

The course preview looks very well put together but I'd still like to here a review on it before I sign up. I've been an off-sec fan for a couple years now. It's offered at a sweet price but what has me personally choosing what to choose between the two is I'm wondering how much information I could pull out of it.

I like the idea that the Pentesting With Backtrack v3 course material videos are over 8 hours, 30 minutes long now. I'm personally more of a watch-it do it myself kind of guy & text-heavy books tend to lose my interest a lot faster than videos. I'm sure these guys'll be successful I'd just love to hear a review or two on how the training compares between Offensive-Security, Herorot, etc.

With 1,600 slides, you'll be entertained for awhile I bet ;)
Last edited by KrisTeason on Thu Mar 18, 2010 11:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
eCPPT (Silver/Gold), eWPT, GSEC, GISP, GCIH, OSCP, OSWP
<<

venom77

Post Thu Mar 18, 2010 12:35 pm

xXxKrisxXx wrote:@BillV - I see above with this course it says 4 hours of video is offered - was most of the content in the SQL Injection module covered in the video? I think muts goes through the majority of the content in offensive-security's courses

There were no videos available yet when I went through the module, only slides. I'll have to look back through my OffSec stuff to do a more detailed comparison, but the eLearningSecurity module was very in-depth and thorough. I don't remember the OffSec SQL stuff standing out like this did.

edit: Okay, just looked through my lab manual. Keep in mind, I have v1.2 so I can't speak for any newer versions but the eLearning stuff had significantly more coverage of the topic.
Last edited by venom77 on Thu Mar 18, 2010 12:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
<<

UNIX

Post Thu Mar 18, 2010 12:44 pm

Great, sounds promising. I am sure there will be a review available at EH-Net, sooner or later, and hopefully with some comparisons of already available courses, such as the ones from offensive security. The samples look great too, price is affordable as well.
<<

Ketchup

Post Thu Mar 18, 2010 3:22 pm

That's a great price, especially for those trying to fund training on their own.  I am too awaiting a review. 
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Ketchup
<<

Jhaddix

Post Thu Mar 18, 2010 3:36 pm

Hey Guys,

I'll be reviewing this course soon, stay tuned =)
<<

don

Administrator
Administrator

Post Thu Mar 18, 2010 3:37 pm

Review is slated to be done by Jason Haddix. The courses are not quite complete, and the authors want to make sure that they're goal is better material and not a completion date. I don't have an ETA from them. That being said, and this is not a quote from them but my own guesstimation, that delivery is somewhere between 2 weeks and 2 months. Let's be safe and say that this should be rockin' & rollin' before Summer.

Don
CISSP, MCSE, CSTA, Security+ SME
<<

UNIX

Post Fri Mar 19, 2010 3:14 am

I think it doesn't matter if it takes a few weeks or months until it is complete, as long as the outcome is good. Looking forward, Jason. :)
<<

Anquilas

Post Mon Mar 22, 2010 9:14 am

I'm curious as to how it will size up to OffSec's offerings. And whether or not it'll be worth taking both of them to get the best of the two worlds.

Dito as awesec: looking forward to it Jason!
Twitter: https://twitter.com/dietervds
Blog: https://synquell.wordpress.com (not much there yet)

The beginning of knowledge is the discovery of something we do not understand.
<<

Armando

Post Thu Apr 01, 2010 5:04 am

Hello everyone,
It's Armando.

Wanted to announce that the Penetration Testing Course - Professional will be launched on April 14th . So just 2 weeks to go.  :D

I appreciate all the interest in this forum. Please do not hesitate to ask anything about the project in this thread.

If you didn't do it already, make sure to add your email here: http://www.elearnsecurity.com/eh.php - This is a special 5% discount for EH members that will last until the release date.

Finally I want to clear up things about the price: the Professional course will launch at $485. This price will be valid for a couple of weeks before being increased. So, if you're interested, make sure to act fast (you will save quite a lot).

Thank you

P.S. A review from Jason should come soon
Founder and Lead Author of eLearnSecurity
Training for Penetration Testers
http://www.elearnsecurity.com

Founder of HACK.ME Free community based web app security virtual labs
https://hack.me
<<

Dark_Knight

Post Tue Apr 13, 2010 10:27 pm

I am a bit disappointed that I will not be able to download the information. At least not in the version that goes live on April 14.
CEH, OSCP, GPEN, GWAPT, GCIA
http://sector876.blogspot.com
<<

Armando

Post Wed Apr 14, 2010 2:46 am

@Dark_Knight I understand your point, however this is a completely different kind of course where you don't get the material and go home.

We mind to keep it up to date and add new staff continously. It's kind of a learning as a service although you just pay once and not monthly. And you even pay less than others while having up-to-date contents.

Having people understand our different model will be a tough challenge however we are going to give the students of the "Online" version, the possibility to buy the DVD of the off-line version (that we are preparing) at a symbolic price.

I can assure you that you will be more than satisfied with the current release and that we will come up very soon with the off-line version (that just need some more beurocracy due to the DVD handling).

Anyway, thanks for your feedback

We will launch in 3 hours
Founder and Lead Author of eLearnSecurity
Training for Penetration Testers
http://www.elearnsecurity.com

Founder of HACK.ME Free community based web app security virtual labs
https://hack.me
<<

kriscamaro68

Post Wed Apr 14, 2010 11:12 am

Armando wrote:We mind to keep it up to date and add new staff continously. It's kind of a learning as a service although you just pay once and not monthly. And you even pay less than others while having up-to-date contents.

When paying for the training how long does the person get to access the data for? Is it a pay once get it forever or a pay once and access it for 6 months kinda thing?
A+, Net+, Server+, Security+, MCP/XP
<<

venom77

Post Wed Apr 14, 2010 11:40 am

How long do I have access to contents?
At now the only version of the course available is the "Online" version: you're required to study the materials while connected to the internet.

Online access is granted for 180 days from date of enrollment. Extensions are allowed upon request.
Next

Return to Network Pen Testing