What sort of questions are asked during an Infosec Interview?

<<

adrianodl

Post Sun Mar 14, 2010 9:05 pm

What sort of questions are asked during an Infosec Interview?

Hi all,
I'm going through the job seeking process right now due to my relocation to Australia. As such, I've just written an article to help all those out there looking for a job to get better prepared for an interview.

The full article can be found at: http://www.myinfosecjob.com/2010/03/iti ... questions/

Adriano

PS: Your contribution is very much appreciated!
<<

Darktaurus

Post Thu Aug 05, 2010 8:20 am

Re: What sort of questions are asked during an Infosec Interview?

I know this is late, but I did find someone speak on this topic also.  Figured it could other people too.

http://danielmiessler.com/blog/25-quest ... -interview
OSCE, OSCP, OSWP, CISSP, GPEN

www.agoonie.com
<<

caissyd

Post Thu Aug 05, 2010 12:37 pm

Wow! Both links were very good for me! :)
OSCP, GPEN, GWAPT, GSEC, CEH, CISSP
(aka H1t.M0nk3y)
<<

mallaigh

Post Mon Aug 09, 2010 3:55 pm

Thank you Adrianodl and Killj0y.  As some one looking to move from the help desk to InfoSec, this is invaluable to me. 
<<

Valkyrja

Post Fri Oct 22, 2010 3:38 pm

mallaigh,

I did just that with a lot of persistence and a bit of luck (of the good variety) thrown into the mix. I was initially hired to do basic hardware upgrades and help out with some user and network support. I knew nothing about networks at the time but quickly learned the environment. Cleaning up after infections led me to looking into security and it grabbed my attention. Every evaluation I had after that I asked for security training and the possibility of a security position. I had strong arguments for both. It took a long time (years) but a restructure exposed me to upper management. I volunteered for projects and learned how to do some technical writing. A 40 page instruction manual wowed a number of VIPs.

In the year that I refer to as "The year of rotating supervisors" someone finally listened to me and I was given the chance to speak with someone in security. The phone conversation was less than a few minutes. I admitted my weaknesses up front and was hit with a single question: "Why security?" I told this person that I was going into the field and I could do it for them or for someone else but that was the path I had chosen because I wanted to do it. A gamble for sure and it came up aces for me.

Now my career is finally going where I wanted it for so long. I do not have certs (yet) or anything beyond a two year degree in business. However, I let people know where I wanted to go and that I was going to get there.

Take the opportunities as they come up and let your supervisor know that you want to move into a security related field.

Good luck. :)

Return to Career Central