Even Faster Password Cracking

<<

Darktaurus

Post Fri Mar 12, 2010 11:43 am

Even Faster Password Cracking

Posting from TheRegister:

Password-cracking tools optimised to work with SSDs have achieved speeds up to 100 times quicker than previously possible.

After optimising its rainbow tables of password hashes to make use of SSDs Swiss security firm Objectif Sécurité was able to crack 14-digit WinXP passwords with special characters in just 5.3 seconds. Objectif Sécurité's Philippe Oechslin told Heise Security that the result was 100 times faster than possible with their old 8GB Rainbow Tables for XP hashes.

The exercise illustrated that the speed of hard discs rather than processor speeds was the main bottleneck in password cracking based on password hash lookups.

I did not see if they created a RAID 0 SSD setup which would have to make the process even faster with an increase in performance.  They said that it is even faster than the NVidia setup people are using.  Does anyone here have a SSD raid setup and can post about performances in your speed?

Entire Article:
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2010/03/12 ... _on_crack/
OSCE, OSCP, OSWP, CISSP, GPEN

www.agoonie.com
<<

j0rDy

Post Sat Mar 13, 2010 4:42 am

Re: Even Faster Password Cracking

my guess is these arent your usual SSD's that are available today. the really expensive ones (like 2000 bucks) are a lot faster then the cheaper ones. however this technology will be available for consumers over time. these developments have positive influence on the overall performance of the workstation, which i think is a good thing!

This article just got submitted again by Manu:
http://www.ethicalhacker.net/component/option,com_smf/Itemid,54/topic,5205.msg26334/topicseen,1
Last edited by j0rDy on Mon Mar 15, 2010 5:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
CISSP, CEH, ECSA, OSCP, OSWP

earning my stripes appears to be a road i must travel alone...with a little help of EH.net

Return to News from the Outside World