VMWare Client Question

<<

Dengar13

Post Fri Mar 12, 2010 8:19 am

VMWare Client Question

Can someone please tell me how I can get Internet access on a VMWare Client?  I am using a Windows XP base OS and went to VM/Settings/Network Adapter/and switched it to NAT, but still can't get access.

Thanks in advance!
A+, Net+, MCP, CEH
MCSE: Security/Messaging
MCSA: Security/Messaging
Former U.S. Marine and damn proud of it!
<<

UNIX

Post Fri Mar 12, 2010 8:23 am

Re: VMWare Client Question

Mh, NAT should work. Did you try Bridged? Can you connect from your Guest OS to your Host OS or vice versa?
Which product from VMware are you using?
<<

hayabusa

Post Fri Mar 12, 2010 8:24 am

How is the VM setup, and is the VMWare NAT adapter enabled and allowed through the Windows firewall on the host?
~ hayabusa ~ 

"All men can see these tactics whereby I conquer, but what none can see is the strategy out of which victory is evolved." - Sun Tzu, 'The Art of War'

OSCE, OSCP , GPEN, C|EH
<<

Dengar13

Post Fri Mar 12, 2010 8:32 am

I just looked and the WF is off.  I am using VMWare Player 3.0.1.  I tried bridge and bridge + replicate physical network state and nothing yet.  I cannot ping my WMClient from my host OS and vice versa.  My IP on my host is 192.168.220.1 and my IP on my client is 192.168.1.8.  Could this be the issue?
A+, Net+, MCP, CEH
<<

hayabusa

Post Fri Mar 12, 2010 8:34 am

Dengar13 wrote:I just looked and the WF is off.  I am using VMWare Player 3.0.1.  I tried bridge and bridge + replicate physical network state and nothing yet.  I cannot ping my WMClient from my host OS and vice versa.  My IP on my host is 192.168.220.1 and my IP on my client is 192.168.1.8.  Could this be the issue?

It's the issue if your subnet mask is 255.255.255.0.....

Your machines are NOT on the same subnet.

A NAT'd machine should be able to hit the internet, but you won't be able to ping between the two addresses listed.  If you want to ping between host and guest, you need to find out the assigned IP address to the NAT adapter in the host, and make certain that IP, and the IP of the guest, are on the same subnet.
~ hayabusa ~ 

"All men can see these tactics whereby I conquer, but what none can see is the strategy out of which victory is evolved." - Sun Tzu, 'The Art of War'

OSCE, OSCP , GPEN, C|EH
<<

Dengar13

Post Fri Mar 12, 2010 8:37 am

Thanks guys.  I am VERY new to VMWare and thought once I saw it that the subnets being different could be the reason, but thought I'd ask first. 
A+, Net+, MCP, CEH
<<

UNIX

Post Fri Mar 12, 2010 8:39 am

So is it working now? Different subnet was the part I thought of too, when I saw your posted IPs. ;)
<<

hayabusa

Post Fri Mar 12, 2010 8:41 am

Well, again, that MIGHT not be the reason for the Internet access failure.  IF the NAT adapter on the host IS on the same subnet as the guest (if IT is configured for NAT, also) then the guest SHOULD be able to ping the outside world and / or browse the internet.  But if the host NAT adapter is the one you gave the IP address for, then you definitely aren't going anywhere.

Whatever mode your guest is on (Bridged or NAT,) you need to make sure it's IP is on the subnet with the IP of the host's adapter for the network, in question.  (Also, if you're bridged in the guest, you need to make sure WHICH adapter on the host the bridge is assigned to, and make sure that the IP of the guest is on the network that your host is on.)
Last edited by hayabusa on Fri Mar 12, 2010 8:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
~ hayabusa ~ 

OSCE, OSCP , GPEN, C|EH
<<

KamiCrazy

Post Fri Mar 12, 2010 8:47 pm

I'm not sure I am reading your explanation correctly hayabusa but I don't think that is how NAT works in vmware...

If you are using bridged networking then you either need to assign a static IP on the network your adapter is connected to or more logically receive a DHCP lease.

If you are using NAT networking what happens is that vmware creates an internal network inside your host and automatically assigns the guest with a DHCP lease for the internal network.
This internal network is then NAT'ed on your network adapter which is on your local subnet. This part obviously does not work if the guest's NAT network adapter is assigned a static IP which is different to the internal network.
<<

hayabusa

Post Fri Mar 12, 2010 10:23 pm

You're correct, you didn't understand my post.  (Sorry, maybe I worded it poorly this time.)

What I intended was this:

If you're using NAT for the guest, you're correct, in that the guest (IF configured for DHCP) will get an address from the NAT, and be able to use that address to reach the outside world.  (Per my statement - IF the NAT adapter on the host IS on the same subnet as the guest (if IT is configured for NAT, also) then the guest SHOULD be able to ping the outside world and / or browse the internet.)

I then should've clarified, when I talked about the NAT adapter.  I meant to say the NAT network configured for the NAT adapter on the host should have a subnet matching the IP that the guest shows.  If the guest showed an IP of 192.168.1.8 (as he noted) and the host NAT configured network was 192.168.220.1 (which was what I wanted to clarify) then he obviously didn't have the client getting address from DHCP on the NAT, and the address would NOT ping out.  (Which you noted when you said - This part obviously does not work if the guest's NAT network adapter is assigned a static IP which is different to the internal network.)

Sorry if I left it vague.  I had meant to say the NAT network in the config in VMWare, not the adapter, itself.  Was very preoccupied today, with work, and somehow, missed that I said it that way.  Sorry for any confusion.
~ hayabusa ~ 

OSCE, OSCP , GPEN, C|EH
<<

j0rDy

Post Sat Mar 13, 2010 4:58 am

remember that if your DHCP fails to give you a proper dynamic IP address you can use, set it to a static IP address. i encountered this a lot with use of the De-Ice disks i downloaded for my pentest lab.
CISSP, CEH, ECSA, OSCP, OSWP

earning my stripes appears to be a road i must travel alone...with a little help of EH.net
<<

Dutchie

Post Sat Mar 13, 2010 6:55 am

I suppose you are working wireless!!

Well VMware does not work on the build-in radio adaptar!!  You have to use a USB-adaptar or plug your device on a CAT5
RA, CISA, CISSP, C|EH, C|HFI, CWSP, LPIC-1
<<

hayabusa

Post Sat Mar 13, 2010 9:43 am

Odd...  I bridge to my wireless NIC all the time.  VMWare still uses it's built in VMWare tools adapter, in the guest, but I have no issue bridging or NAT'ing to my physical wireless adapters, built-in or otherwise.
~ hayabusa ~ 

OSCE, OSCP , GPEN, C|EH
<<

Dutchie

Post Sat Mar 13, 2010 10:24 am

Well I only have experience with VM in combination with Backtrack. The PCI card within Backtrack virtual does not work. After investigating the forum of Backtrack, I found a confirmation that Backtrack only works with USB-adaptars.

So It seems VM OS or VM distro dependent if the PCI-card is working!!
RA, CISA, CISSP, C|EH, C|HFI, CWSP, LPIC-1
<<

hayabusa

Post Sat Mar 13, 2010 10:46 am

Well, what VMWare WON'T do with the built-in adapter (with a BT guest) is packet injection for wireless, even on a supported card.  This is because of how (I believe) VMWare sets up it's adapter to use the host's network adapter (assigning it to a more generic network driver.)  I still need to use USB or other for packet injection with BT4, if I have it in a VM guest.  But for general networking purposes, I've had no issues bridging or NAT'ing against a built-in wireless adapter from my guest to my host.
~ hayabusa ~ 

OSCE, OSCP , GPEN, C|EH
Next

Return to Other