don

Administrator
Administrator

Post Thu Mar 11, 2010 2:39 pm

SecTor 2010

SecTor 2010
October 25-27, 2010
Toronto, ON, Canada

Illuminating the Black Art of Security. SecTor brings the world's brightest (and darkest) minds together to identify, discuss, dissect and debate the latest digital threats facing corporations today. Unique to central Canada, SecTor provides an unmatched opportunity for IT Professionals and Managers to collaborate with their peers and learn from their mentors. Held at the Metro Toronto Convention Centre in downtown Toronto, the SecTor conference runs two full days, October 26th and 27th. The event features Keynotes from North America's most respected and trusted experts. Speakers are true security professionals with depth of understanding on topics that matter. SecTor is a must attend event for every IT Professional.

Venue

Metro Toronto Convention Centre (MTCC)
http://www.mtccc.com/

For more info on the event:
http://www.sector.ca/

Don
CISSP, MCSE, CSTA, Security+ SME
<<

caissyd

Post Wed Jul 07, 2010 7:09 am

Re: SecTor 2010

Hi,

As anyone been to SecTor (Security Conference in Toronto, Canada)? It is close to where I live, so I was wondering if some people on the forum have been there.

It costs $749 CAD to register, so I want to know if it is worth attending before I spend my money...

Thanks!
OSCP, GPEN, GWAPT, GSEC, CEH, CISSP
(aka H1t.M0nk3y)
<<

apollo

Post Wed Jul 07, 2010 9:46 am

I spoke there last year and had a lot of fun.  They had Chris Hoff for keynote which was great, and they had a number of presentations that were pretty good.  A lot of the folks you see at Blackhat/Defcon and other big conferences were there.  Just going from memory @Beaker did keynote, @jjx did stuff on next generation NAC, @RafalLos did stuff on problems still causing problems for web security, @NathanHamiel did stuff on python tools for web testing, @rsnake had a good presentation on what the bad guys are up to, there was a 2 part walkthrough that was great on w3af and the social stuff was pretty good.  This year they have HD Moore and others lined up with Metasploit goodness, and if you can't catch talks at BH/DC then I think some of them will be repeated at SecTor. 
CISSP, CSSLP, MCSE+Security, MCTS, CCSP, GPEN, GWAPT, GCWN, NOP, OSCP, Security+
<<

MatP

Post Thu Aug 12, 2010 2:20 pm

I've been considering going if I end up with a more stable working situation than I am in currently, unfortunately I'll have to pay the last minute price if I do :(
<<

apollo

Post Thu Oct 07, 2010 12:40 pm

Just wanted to bump this up.  I'm going to be speaking again this year and they have a good lineup.  If you have the opportunity, you should really try to make it.  There are a number of things which differentiate SecTor from other conferences.  First of all, you can expect the same quality of speakers you see at other large security conferences, but SecTor isn't huge.  If you want to talk one on one with HD Moore or other industry leaders, you will have the opportunity to do so.  In addition, because the size of the audience is smaller in each talk, you will have more of a chance to ask questions, interact, and maximize the information.  Another difference is that instead of lots of research, almost all of the talks involve immediately applicable techniques, tools, and concepts that are more relevant than some of the things you may see at DefCon or BlackHat.  This conference isn't about 0days, it's about taking concepts, techniques and tools and sharing information for you to take home and use.

The conference is a blast, the venue is great, and they have some great speakers lined up.  Hope to see some of you guys there, and if you are, stop by and say hey :)
CISSP, CSSLP, MCSE+Security, MCTS, CCSP, GPEN, GWAPT, GCWN, NOP, OSCP, Security+
<<

alucian

Post Thu Oct 07, 2010 2:25 pm

I really wanted to go, but because I missed the early registration the company don't want to pay. My managers can't make the difference between a conference like this one and some vendor conference.
I even wanted to go to one of the courses: metasploit or web testing. But...

I'll go to http://www.securitybsides.com/BSidesOttawa because it will cost me less and I hope I will meet very interesting guys.
CISSP ISSAP, CISM/A, GWAPT, GCIH, GREM, GMOB, OSWP

Return to Calendar Of Events