GREM certification

<<

Bane

Post Tue Mar 09, 2010 6:55 pm

GREM certification

I am thinking about taking SANS Malware investigation course and certification, the GREM.

Has anyone taken this course? What was your experience?

Thanks,
<<

UNIX

Post Wed Mar 10, 2010 12:57 am

Re: GREM certification

I am very interested in the course myself, though I haven't taken it yet. I talked with two people who have taken it and both really enjoyed it. However, as I was told, if you have already lots of experience in this area, you hardly will learn anything new.
<<

don

Administrator
Administrator

Post Wed Mar 10, 2010 11:43 am

How about getting those 2 people to join EH-Net and share their thoughts?

Don
CISSP, MCSE, CSTA, Security+ SME
<<

hayabusa

Post Wed Mar 10, 2010 12:11 pm

awesec wrote:I am very interested in the course myself, though I haven't taken it yet. I talked with two people who have taken it and both really enjoyed it. However, as I was told, if you have already lots of experience in this area, you hardly will learn anything new.

I haven't taken it, but am always skeptical of folks who say you'll 'hardly learn anything new.'  There's ALWAYS learning to be done, even if it's getting others opinions and thought processes, etc, when you're in the IT security field.  It might not be some fantastic, crazy new method for hacking an encryption scheme, or how to effectively sniff https, or anything, but if I have time, budget and resources / ability, I always welcome the opportunity to attend a new course or certification, even if just to network with others and gain their perspectives.
~ hayabusa ~ 

"All men can see these tactics whereby I conquer, but what none can see is the strategy out of which victory is evolved." - Sun Tzu, 'The Art of War'

OSCE, OSCP , GPEN, C|EH
<<

UNIX

Post Wed Mar 10, 2010 1:16 pm

Well, both are doing malware research for many years as their job and know their work very well - maybe that was the reason. If you are doing it for years, then it may be possible, that you won't learn new techniques in a course which is only a few days. I can't speak for them directly, of course, but that's what I would imagine.

I will see, if I can get more details on this.
<<

Bane

Post Wed Mar 10, 2010 6:47 pm

It would be very helpful awesec.

Thanks,

Return to General Certification