Offensive security lab setup

<<

LT72884

Post Sun Mar 07, 2010 4:38 pm

Offensive security lab setup

as of right now  you know that i am following toms book. I have created the virtual laba and what not. What i would like to do is imitate the lab setup that the offensive security(remote exploits course) lab students use so when i take that course i can be better prepared for it. If any one has taken that course it would be nice to hear from you on what type of OS's they used in there labs that you attack. Do they have winxp home or pro?

thanx

Sorry for so many posts. just trying to get all my ducks in a row.
Last edited by LT72884 on Sun Mar 07, 2010 5:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
<<

KrisTeason

Post Sun Mar 07, 2010 5:45 pm

Re: Offensive security lab setup

Hey LT72884,

I hear students are issued windows xp sp2 machines - but I've also heard they've upgraded to sp3 machines for the new v3 course ware that's starting this coming 21st.

Just for a quick reference link for you. Here's some links where you could grab a copy of a virtual image of XP Sp3.

VHD Windows XP SP3:
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=21EABB90-958F-4B64-B5F1-73D0A413C8EF&displaylang=en
eCPPT (Silver/Gold), eWPT, GSEC, GISP, GCIH, OSCP, OSWP
<<

LT72884

Post Sun Mar 07, 2010 6:05 pm

xXxKrisxXx wrote:Hey LT72884,

I hear students are issued windows xp sp2 machines - but I've also heard they've upgraded to sp3 machines for the new v3 course ware that's starting this coming 21st.

Just for a quick reference link for you. Here's some links where you could grab a copy of a virtual image of XP Sp3.

VHD Windows XP SP3:
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=21EABB90-958F-4B64-B5F1-73D0A413C8EF&displaylang=en

So the target systems are xp sp2 machines of either flavor of xp. Are there any server targets that are windows based?

I appreciate the help. I have a few backtrack labs from my professor i wanna try out but they are for BT2 so i am not sure what type of lab setup i needed for that. My linux professor told me about backtrack and said i should research from here the lab setup and what not.

thanx
<<

KrisTeason

Post Sun Mar 07, 2010 6:18 pm

Not too sure if any of the server targets are windows based. I know that students are assigned an XP machine to run tests against it throughout the course.

I want to claim in the final challenge when your suppose to root boxes that some are red hat linux boxes, one may be a windows server - but I'm not absolutely positive since I haven't started the class yet. There's a couple OSCP's on here that I'm sure will help out - I do know OSCP's aren't suppose to divulge much about the final challenge personally, but I hope they'll help - I'm curious as well!
Last edited by KrisTeason on Sun Mar 07, 2010 6:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
eCPPT (Silver/Gold), eWPT, GSEC, GISP, GCIH, OSCP, OSWP
<<

LT72884

Post Sun Mar 07, 2010 6:37 pm

xXxKrisxXx wrote:Not too sure if any of the server targets are windows based. I know that students are assigned an XP machine to run tests against it throughout the course.

I want to claim in the final challenge when your suppose to root boxes that some are red hat linux boxes, one may be a windows server - but I'm not absolutely positive since I haven't started the class yet. There's a couple OSCP's on here that I'm sure will help out - I do know OSCP's aren't suppose to divulge much about the final challenge personally, but I hope they'll help - I'm curious as well!

thanx. HAHA. let me re word this cuz last time i said the same thing on another forum and got banned.

I know that they have a security policy and privacy statment in place so not to much can be told about the actual challanges, i assume. But if i can closly imitate the lab setup that they use that would help me out alot so that i can practice with the material i have, such as those BT2 labs from my professor. Not every company uses linux servers so i need to learn to practice against windows as well.

thanx
<<

MosGuy

Post Mon Mar 08, 2010 6:20 pm

LT72884,

I would have hoped you'd have learned something from your post over at remote-exploit. From the looks of it I guess not. I wonder if you actually bought Tom's book or you "borrowed" a copy of that as well.

For the benefit of the community: http://forums.remote-exploit.org/newbie ... setup.html
A+, Network+
<<

venom77

Post Tue Mar 09, 2010 6:55 am

MosGuy wrote:For the benefit of the community: http://forums.remote-exploit.org/newbie ... setup.html

Thank you.

LT72884 - I think you have, or been given, enough information to do what you need to do. None of us that have taken the OSCP course or hold the certification are going to provide you with the details you're asking for. There are plenty of threads here about setting up a virtual lab, I'd suggest reading them.
<<

hayabusa

Post Tue Mar 09, 2010 8:35 am

I'm going to hope, for the sake of LT, that he's already learned his lesson, regarding possession and use of copyrighted materials.  I'd further say that he'd been PM'ing me for advice, here on EH-net, and in the PM's, at least, appears truly apologetic, even to the point of 'being sick to his stomach' over it.  (Which is the proper feeling, when one realizes what they've done, for something as serious as legal issues from copyright infringement, and possibly alienating yourself from the very community you want to be a part of.)

I'm of the opinion that folks learn from their mistakes and move on.  I agree with BillV, that the info for a lab setup has been given, and LT should have enough to begin moving forward with his labs, and understanding that nobody will hand him the keys to the OSCP labs, at this point.  I'm also of the belief that we aren't here to continue to bash him over the mistakes, so long as he now leaves them at the door, and moves forward in a more positive direction with this.

MosGuy, thank you for having pointed it out, and I think that, at least, I will leave it alone at that, now.  I'm glad you made someone aware, and that maybe you've helped LT move forward, as well.  However, I personally would've preferred that you take it to don, or one of the EH-net admins, first, and let them address it, rather than making such a fuss about it, in only your second post.  For me, I don't know who YOU are, enough, yet, to know if you were solely trying to educate him as a positive influence, or publicly humiliate him, or where your intentions lie. 

In any event, welcome to EH-net, MosGuy, and I look forward to positive contributions from you, as well!
~ hayabusa ~ 

"All men can see these tactics whereby I conquer, but what none can see is the strategy out of which victory is evolved." - Sun Tzu, 'The Art of War'

OSCE, OSCP , GPEN, C|EH

Return to Network Pen Testing