MS Terminal Server

<<

Juan

Post Thu Mar 04, 2010 7:41 am

MS Terminal Server

Could anyone explain how I can copy off a program and database (acess) from a terminal server. I can sign into the server and use the data base program, but I would like a copy on my own desktop. ???
<<

Ketchup

Post Thu Mar 04, 2010 8:23 am

Re: MS Terminal Server

I would contact the owner of the Terminal Server and ask if you could have a copy of the installation media, and a data backup.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Ketchup
<<

unsupported

Post Thu Mar 04, 2010 8:44 am

Be prepared to be told no.  Your company/provider made the decision for terminal services for a number of reasons.  So many people can access the data and make changes, reduce administrative costs, centralize security... they may not be willing to change this model.

(on a side note, even though the newbs are coming in more frequently, at least they take the time to locate the most appropriate forum to post in!)
-Un
CISSP, GCIH, GCIA, C|EH, Sec+, Net+, MCP
<<

rattis

Post Fri Mar 05, 2010 12:15 pm

Juan wrote:Could anyone explain how I can copy off a program and database (acess) from a terminal server. I can sign into the server and use the data base program, but I would like a copy on my own desktop. ???

Why would you want to have a copy of it on your own desktop? Write it out, and make it sound good, and then take it to your manager, and have them run it up the chain.
OSWP, Sec+
<<

don

Administrator
Administrator

Post Fri Mar 05, 2010 12:27 pm

Do you have direct access to the file and is a browser available? How about logging to an email acct with a web interface, send it to yourself, then check that acct from another machine.

Disclaimer - Make sure you have permission to do this or it wouldn't be 'ethical!' Gets back to the argument of could vs should. You could do something but it doesn't mean you should.

Don
CISSP, MCSE, CSTA, Security+ SME
<<

former33t

Post Fri Mar 05, 2010 10:56 pm

I'll agree with Don that this sounds like it is squarely in the realm of could vs. should, but if the database is too large to email but you have email access from the machine, email yourself a copy of putty.  Then pscp the database off the terminal server to your remote machine. 

If you have browser access from the terminal server and have a web server you could also upload the database (possibly in chunks if need be).
Certifications: CREA, MCSE: Security, CCNA, Security+, other junk

Return to Web Applications