CEH Self Study books suggestion

<<

Ph1b3r

Post Wed Mar 03, 2010 6:05 am

CEH Self Study books suggestion

Hello all,

my first post in the forum :) I'm planning to study for CEH and while googling found this site, I've already read questions about self study option and the suggested books and I've tried to build my "list" of books and was wondering if it is enough or need something more.

I would love to attend an official course/bootcamp but honesly I lack the time to attend the course (yeah sometimes even a week of absence can be a pain!) so self study is the only option to me.

The books I was going to buy are the following :

Official Certified Ethical Hacker Review Guide
Ethical Hacking and Countermeasures: Attack Phases
Ethical Hacking and Countermeasures: Threats and Defense Mechanisms
Ethical Hacking and Countermeasures: Secure Network Infrastructures
Ethical Hacking and Countermeasures: Web Applications and Data Servers
Ethical Hacking and Countermeasures: Linux, Macintosh and Mobile Systems

Of course everything will be backed up with a lab where to test and have fun. Keep in mind I'm not much interested in the certification per se btu on the knowledge and skill you learn along the way, do you think this can be enough for the exam? Or it is too much/less? Any advice, suggestion or addition to the above list would be greatly appreciated!

Keep in mind I'm a trainer and Linux sysadmin in life so not properly a noobie in the industry.

I'll look forward your precious advices!

P.
Last edited by Ph1b3r on Wed Mar 03, 2010 6:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
<<

caissyd

Post Wed Mar 03, 2010 6:28 am

Re: CEH Self Study books suggestion

Hi Ph1b3r and welcome to this forum!

I passed the CEHv6 exam a month ago and I used the following to books:

Official Certified Ethical Hacker Review Guide by DeFino, Kaufman, Valenteen and Greenblatt
- Very good book. This will give you a pretty good idea on what the exam is all about.

Official Certified Ethical Hacker Review Guide by Graves
- Good as a reference only. It is too old (covers CEHv5) and it is way too focus on things not in the exam... (my own opinion)

I didn't take a course either and passed the exam many because of the first book.

Last thing, I suggest you buy the first book, read it, then you will see if you need another one. Same your $$$ for the exam!

Good luck with your study!
OSCP, GPEN, GWAPT, GSEC, CEH, CISSP
(aka H1t.M0nk3y)
<<

Ph1b3r

Post Wed Mar 03, 2010 7:51 am

Hi there thanks a lot for your suggestion! I'll do as you suggested as I have a long queue of books to buy along with CEH ones ;)

Time to try the new Cisco CCNP as I'm curious to see the TS exam :P

P.
<<

unsupported

Post Wed Mar 03, 2010 9:00 am

There are a few threads about CEH books and setting up a testing lab on a budget.  This is my $.02.

The Official CEH Review Guide is only good if you are going for the certification.  It tells you what you need to know.

The best bang for the buck is CEH Exam Prep by Michael Gregg.  He walks you through WHY you need to know the material along with great scenarios for you to try.
-Un
CISSP, GCIH, GCIA, C|EH, Sec+, Net+, MCP
<<

j0rDy

Post Wed Mar 03, 2010 10:10 am

i used both books to prepare me for the 5 day training i took and yes, both of them are good material. i think the CEH exam prep was a little short, but it contains good documentation. if you study hard with these books, and take some exam practice tests, you will probably do just fine!
CISSP, CEH, ECSA, OSCP, OSWP

earning my stripes appears to be a road i must travel alone...with a little help of EH.net
<<

Ph1b3r

Post Wed Mar 03, 2010 10:28 am

Thanks unsupported,

yes I know it has been asked other times and I've read almost every post I could find about CEH 6 but still felt like to ask .

Thanks for your suggestion I'll take that book as well together with the rest :)

@j0rDy Thanks for sharing your experience as well :)

It's time to have some fun :D I miss the old days of Pen testing for fun ^^
<<

UNIX

Post Wed Mar 03, 2010 11:27 am

I used CEH: Official Certified Ethical Hacker Review Guide: Exam 312-50 (1), Certified Ethical Hacker Exam Prep (2) and The CEH Prep Guide: The Comprehensive Guide to Certified Ethical Hacking (3). I had a class and the official courseware too though.

Can't say much about the Ethical Hacking and Countermeasures series, but I would assume that they should also cover most or everything needed for the exam. Therefore I would say that if you buy all the books you mentioned, it should be enough to pass.

I am currently writing reviews on the three first mentioned books, whereas the first is already available at my website. Others will hopefully be finished soon.

(1) http://www.amazon.com/CEH-Official-Cert ... 0782144373
(2) http://www.amazon.com/Certified-Ethical ... 0789735318
(3) http://www.amazon.com/CEH-Prep-Guide-Co ... 0470135921
<<

j0rDy

Post Thu Mar 04, 2010 3:44 am

Ph1b3r wrote:Thanks unsupported,

yes I know it has been asked other times and I've read almost every post I could find about CEH 6 but still felt like to ask .

Thanks for your suggestion I'll take that book as well together with the rest :)

@j0rDy Thanks for sharing your experience as well :)

It's time to have some fun :D I miss the old days of Pen testing for fun ^^

no problem! and know your way with tooling (nmap, snort, etc.) required by EC-Council!
CISSP, CEH, ECSA, OSCP, OSWP

earning my stripes appears to be a road i must travel alone...with a little help of EH.net

Return to CEH - Certified Ethical Hacker