Great Resource!

<<

Knb15

Post Tue Mar 02, 2010 4:35 pm

Great Resource!

I couldn't find a proper place on the forums to post about anything in general except here (unless i missed it), and while i am not trying to clutter your forums with superfluous posts, i think this is needed.

I've been a member for a few weeks, and became a member because of my new found interest in information security, even though i have not narrowed it down to a specific field yet.

I have read several topics of people asking for specific instructions on how to hack, and what to do, and how to start, or where to go.

As a beginner, i understand how overwhelming it may be trying to figure out how to start, and where to go, or what to do. However, i think people don't realize that this forum is an excellent beginning with a wealth of information that is free and from many experts of their respective fields.

But i agree with many of you, that you have to be willing to search, and search some more, and read, read, read. Programming itself is not something you can learn in one day, or week, or month. Let alone learning and testing network penetration, "hacking", etc...

I just wanted to say that i appreciate what you guys have done with this forum. A place where us beginners can ask questions, and read a ton of information that is posted in form of answers to questions, or just as resources for anyone that needs to use it.

I have only been around here for a few weeks and have learned so much! However, it's easy to see that there is SO much more to learn. I'm looking forward to it!

Just a little background. I'm getting my BS in CS (graduating in December), took a masters course in higher layer protocol & networking last semester and now im taking another network masters class in hope of getting into their master's program by the time i graduate. Wasn't really sure where i wanted to go with my career yet.. even though its already pretty late in the game for not knowing...

However, lately, my interest in information security, penetration testing, ethical hacking has really sparked my interest so i might be moving into that direction in the near future. By the time i graduate i will also be deciding whether i should go through with my master's degree, or invest in certifications in the security field. The websites i have read from this forum have been great in helping with that. Still always a very tough decision though, but only time will tell.

Anyway, sorry for the long read...and thanks again for this place!

Knb15
<<

hayabusa

Post Tue Mar 02, 2010 5:01 pm

Re: Great Resource!

I'm glad you're finding that we're friendly folk, who have a passion for not only helping each other out, but for helping the newcomers, as well.  And I'm glad you agree and find the value in your own willingness to dig in and learn, etc.  That will take you a long way.  I know it has, for me.

I'm certain I speak for the others here when I say, "Welcome to EH-Net, Knb15!"  (And I hope you continue to have fun with security, and the great myriad of information to delve into.)
~ hayabusa ~ 

"All men can see these tactics whereby I conquer, but what none can see is the strategy out of which victory is evolved." - Sun Tzu, 'The Art of War'

OSCE, OSCP , GPEN, C|EH
<<

zeroflaw

Post Tue Mar 02, 2010 5:22 pm

Yup, welcome to EH-Net!  8)

EH-Net is indeed a very great resource, I've found tons of links and topics that really help me find my way.

I'm having the same problem I think, not sure what to do after I graduate. I've also recently developed a special interest in information security. I'm very passionate about programming, so I'll probably start with some developer job. Then build op some more hacking skills, and apply for a job in security. Though, I'm still not sure about his, it's a hard choice. I might even get a masters degree first, though I'm getting kinda sick of college (I'm 24 lol).

I will be graduating in September, October if everything goes well.  ;D
ZF
<<

unsupported

Post Tue Mar 02, 2010 10:33 pm

Welcome to EH-Net!  Sounds like you are heading in the right place.

Zeroflaw, I'm 33 and I'm sick of college.  I'm returning late to college, but now was the right time.
-Un
CISSP, GCIH, GCIA, C|EH, Sec+, Net+, MCP
<<

Knb15

Post Tue Mar 02, 2010 11:04 pm

ZF, I'm 23, it seems that we're on similar roads here..
<<

zeroflaw

Post Wed Mar 03, 2010 8:30 am

Well guys, at least we plan on finishing it! I guess it's only a matter of time.  8)
And besides, I had lots of fun while I was skipping classes  ;D
ZF
<<

j0rDy

Post Wed Mar 03, 2010 10:06 am

ah...skipping class....the good old days...i can tell you that gets a lot harder when youre on the payroll ;)

anyway here's some advice. i was in the same package about a year ago: got my master degree, was interested in security, now what...i joined one of the big IT organizations that are stationed in my country. the advantage you have is you can move around within the organization. i'f youre interested in...say access control, you can specialize in that area, but if you want to do consulting on another area, you can go to consulting. ofcourse this is different in many organizations and most of them dont want you to swich often, but most of them stimulate motivation and the opportunity to grow within the company.

good luck and welcome to EH.net!
CISSP, CEH, ECSA, OSCP, OSWP

earning my stripes appears to be a road i must travel alone...with a little help of EH.net
<<

Knb15

Post Wed Mar 03, 2010 12:05 pm

I can see your point Jordy. What makes me unsure of whether or not to pursue my Master's is that the master's might take me more into a managerial position and not really be hands on. Although i don't know this for sure, but just from some things i have read, so i could be wrong. In addition, managerial positions aren't always a bad thing, i guess it just depends on what you really want to do.
<<

UNIX

Post Wed Mar 03, 2010 3:13 pm

Personally I would recommend to go for your masters, even if you might think it could be boring etc. - but most probably you will think that it was a good decision when you got older and gained some experience. Also it might help you to understand the other site better too, and you will be able to not only see things from a technical point of view.

Going for your masters also doesn't mean that you couldn't do any certificates. ;)
<<

don

Administrator
Administrator

Post Wed Mar 03, 2010 11:39 pm

Let me also welcome you to the site and thank you for the kind words.

Since the title of your thread was commenting on the site itself, I moved the thread accordingly.

You are like zeroflaw in another way, you're a great addition from the current wave!! This thread alone proves my point of a prior thread about everyone keeping their cool, always be willing to help and keep the attitude professional. People do recognize it as being unique. And all members play a vital role. For that I thank you all.

Don
CISSP, MCSE, CSTA, Security+ SME
<<

j0rDy

Post Tue Mar 09, 2010 7:52 am

and we thank you, don for giving us the opportunity to build this community it has become!

back to the topic starter:
this may sound cheesy, but STAY IN SCHOOL, finish your master cause maybe you will not need it now, but later when eventually you might get boring with the things you do, you can build on your master to switch back to a management profession. even i started from my master directly learning for CISSP. my master never slowed me down and never will. it only shows your motivation and dedication you have and the willing to learn. even with your masters degree YOU have the choice if you want to be a techie or management material. a higher degree only helps when applying for a job  ;)
CISSP, CEH, ECSA, OSCP, OSWP

earning my stripes appears to be a road i must travel alone...with a little help of EH.net
<<

Knb15

Post Thu Mar 18, 2010 10:25 am

j0rDy wrote:and we thank you, don for giving us the opportunity to build this community it has become!

back to the topic starter:
this may sound cheesy, but STAY IN SCHOOL, finish your master cause maybe you will not need it now, but later when eventually you might get boring with the things you do, you can build on your master to switch back to a management profession. even i started from my master directly learning for CISSP. my master never slowed me down and never will. it only shows your motivation and dedication you have and the willing to learn. even with your masters degree YOU have the choice if you want to be a techie or management material. a higher degree only helps when applying for a job  ;)

I just saw this...but thanks for the advice! It's appreciated.

Return to News Items and General Discussion About EH-Net