Experience with technical recruiters

<<

snortymcsnort

Post Tue Mar 02, 2010 9:55 am

Experience with technical recruiters

Hi, I am looking for anyone who has had a good/bad experience with a technical recruiter/headhunter.  Has anyone gone this route and found a job they really like?
<<

Dengar13

Post Tue Mar 02, 2010 10:49 am

Re: Experience with technical recruiters

I have had both good and bad alike.  I have had people contact me just to get information from me, albeit in a very sly way.  I have had some that actually had jobs and wanted to see if I was interested.  Some are good people and some are snake oil salesmen.  I even had some contact me via LinkedIn for jobs.  That's how I got my current position,a dn have gotten most of my jobs through staffing agencies.  A lot of companies have no luck looking on their own and that's why they turn to recruiters.  Some offer contract-to-hire type positions that are 6 months contract-to-hire and some are less.  My best suggestion is to use your best judgment when dealing with them and to research the company they work for.

Hope this helps and good luck!
A+, Net+, MCP, CEH
MCSE: Security/Messaging
MCSA: Security/Messaging
Former U.S. Marine and damn proud of it!
<<

unsupported

Post Tue Mar 02, 2010 11:21 am

Mixed experience here.  Most of the jobs I've gotten were because the company I was going to work for did not hire directly, they used an agency.

The worst experience with a technical recruiter was when I got an interview and a job on my own.  When i told the recruiter I was no longer looking they tried to strong arm me by saying they deserve credit/commission.  All this just because they vaguely mentioned an available position, without any specific details (like title or company name), which just so happened to be with the company I got the job at.

I've gotten some great temporary gigs through recruiters.  They are a necessary evil in the computer industry where there is a lot of talent, and not a lot of jobs.  Just do not let yourself be pushed around, do not sell yourself short, always ask for more money.  The recruiters job is to pay you as little money as possible, because their company keeps the rest.

I love my job now, but I still entertain the infrequent recruiter call, and keep my information updated semi-regularly with one of them.  Most of the time the conversation ends when I ask their salary range. :)
-Un
CISSP, GCIH, GCIA, C|EH, Sec+, Net+, MCP
<<

snortymcsnort

Post Tue Mar 02, 2010 1:10 pm

Thanks for the replies!  I have had quite a few contacts from recruiters who obviously hadn't even bothered to read my resume and try and match me with anything to do with technology. 
<<

unsupported

Post Tue Mar 02, 2010 1:49 pm

Oh, yeah, I forgot about that.

Recruiter: "So, what experience do you have with help desk?"
Me: "The past 10 years, my entire resume"

Which prompted a rewrite of my resume coincidently.
-Un
CISSP, GCIH, GCIA, C|EH, Sec+, Net+, MCP
<<

rattis

Post Tue Mar 02, 2010 3:03 pm

I've found that some just don't understand the technology, and only find you based on their searches on the job sites. Usually how I get found.

Even then I question if the recruiters do as much as they claim. I worked with a local one in December. After 2 weeks, they said the company wasn't interested in me. A week later, the internal HR guy for said company called me asking if I was interested.

I've had a mixed bag for using them over all. Some have been great jobs, some have been bad jobs, and some have lead me on for a month before cutting me lose. The worst I had, was for a job in another state. I made it past 2 interviews, plus the recruiter saying Not my skill set (looking for an Oracle and DB2 DBA). They all said "but we need your other skills". Got to the hiring manger (third interview and drive down there) and we're talking while going through my resume. "Why are you even here? You're not qualified for this job."

For the most part, until you start filling out paper work for background checks, don't take anything for granted with the recruiter. Even then don't hold you're breath.

Or maybe it's just worse here because it's Michigan.  :)
OSWP, Sec+
<<

partek

Post Wed Mar 03, 2010 2:59 pm

chrisj wrote:Even then I question if the recruiters do as much as they claim. I worked with a local one in December. After 2 weeks, they said the company wasn't interested in me. A week later, the internal HR guy for said company called me asking if I was interested.

I would bet there was lack of feedback from HR to the recruiter and that's why they told you the company wasn't interested. I'm married to a recruiter and that's a situation that happens a LOT when HR isn't interested in a candidate. Depending on the company and their culture, some HR people despise working with recruiters due to the cost and the fact that there are a lot of bad recruiters out there who practice unethically.

I'd be suspicious if the company contacted you directly after a couple of weeks without having that recruiter involved as it would seem they're trying to get out of paying a fee to that recruiter.
CISSP, CISM, CISA, CCNA Security, OSCP, CEH

Return to Looking For Work