GFI LANguard Network Security Scanner

<<

Kev

Post Fri Jul 21, 2006 12:59 pm

GFI LANguard Network Security Scanner

This is my favorite commercial scanner. I have played around with commercial and open source scanners and I think this is the best one. Its not cheap but if you are in charge of a network I think its worth the price. Not only will it find vunerablities but with a right click of the button it will patch them also! They have a free trial version.

http://www.gfi.com/lannetscan/
<<

Spawn

Post Tue Jul 25, 2006 11:11 pm

Re: GFI LANguard Network Security Scanner

I concur with Kev!

This is a very nice piece of software, and if you’re into Network Support, this is a Must Have!

If you’re serious about network security, the absolute least you can do is check out the free trial. You’ll get hooked!
<<

charlottebandit

Post Wed Jul 26, 2006 2:50 pm

Very impressed with GFI Languard! 

Been offered a job that will use ISS Internet Scanner & Harris STAT.  Now I'm familiar with ISS, but have never played with Harris STAT. 

Harris technologies has usually been associated with communications (satcom for example), so I'm curious as to how this operates. 

Nessus is a one of my favs, or even NeWT (lesser Windows version).
MS, CCSP, CCNP, CCDP, CEH, CHFI, CPTS
<<

Hug_It

Post Thu Jul 27, 2006 2:20 pm

Nesus 3 is available for Windows now and I got to say I like it almost better than GFI Languard, of which I have a fully licensed version. Actually I like the flexibility of Nessus and the new Windows interface is very simple and easy to understand. Of course it doesn't do everything that Languard does, like push out custom patches but being Nessus is free it's definately worth having both.
CISSP
<<

oleDB

Recruiters
Recruiters

Post Fri Jul 28, 2006 9:26 am

I'm a big fan of Languard as well, the scan for missing patches functionality is great, however I hate one thing, how it always pops up the yypasswd thing for everyhost.

As far as Nessus, one thing I never liked about Nessus is that you had to set up the server and then run a seperate client. I've only used it on linux, does this newer version on windows still require that?
<<

Kev

Post Fri Jul 28, 2006 9:49 am

Thanks everyone for your response.  People that take a moment to respond on a subject really help a forum being productive.  Hopefully we can encourage more people to comment on subjects.  The 2 scanners I use are Nessus for linux and the GFI scanner. They seem to compliment each other.  I first run Nessus because if a hacker is brazen enough to run a noisy vulnerability scan, 9 out of 10 times it will be the linux version of Nessus and I want to see exactly what he sees.  I used the commercial version of Nessus for windows a few years ago and felt at that time it wasn’t any better than the linux version other than the GUI was a little nicer.  I will check out the new Nessus for windows and report back.  I felt back then if I was going to pay, I felt the GFI scanner had the most to offer.  You can customize the scans and its very organized. 
<<

Hug_It

Post Fri Jul 28, 2006 9:52 am

Nope, the new Windows version does it all for you. It's very polished. I used to have a dedicated nessus server running on linux and then used the Windows client to set up my scans but with the new Windows server/client it's just so easy to use and efficient I dumped the old set up.

Some of my favorite features are it's wizard like interface. Once you have your address book set up (I have many different subnets) and all your common different scanning profiles it's easy to keep up on things with just a few clicks.
CISSP

Return to Tools