How paranoid has your information security career made you?

<<

unsupported

Post Fri Feb 26, 2010 1:58 pm

How paranoid has your information security career made you?

My information security career has made me very paranoid!  For example, I only read my email in plain text to prevent any rogue links or other issues.  I also use Firefox with add-ons like No Script and Ad-Block Plus.  At home, I have replaced Adobe Reader with FoxIt Reader and I am in the middle of looking for an Adobe Flash replacement (Gnash seems appropriate).

I still use Windows Firewall because I've been lazy about finding a replacement, and I prefer to use OpenOffice at home as well.

In regards to hardware, I just bought a Kensington lock because I am bringing my laptop to school.

What paranoia have you been driven to since you know all the evils of the internet?
-Un
CISSP, GCIH, GCIA, C|EH, Sec+, Net+, MCP
<<

hayabusa

Post Fri Feb 26, 2010 2:32 pm

Re: How paranoid has your information security career made you?

I wouldn't say it's made me paranoid.  In my case, though, I pay close attention to my boxes, anyway.  (My primary machine is Linux - has been, will be for the foreseeable future.)  I run Apparmour on top of it, and I regularly monitor my logs on the machine, etc.  But I certainly worry a bit more about my kids' PC's, as they haven't moved to Linux yet, and I DO run a number of utils their boxes to monitor and protect...   ;)
~ hayabusa ~ 

"All men can see these tactics whereby I conquer, but what none can see is the strategy out of which victory is evolved." - Sun Tzu, 'The Art of War'

OSCE, OSCP , GPEN, C|EH
<<

blackazarro

Post Fri Feb 26, 2010 3:38 pm

Same here, thanks to what I do, I'm more aware of the threats that exist out there and I feel confident that my computers are well protected. Now, that doesn't mean that my computers aren't vulnerable, there's always a way in but at least I have the necessary protections in place to make my computers hard to hack into.
Security+, OSCP, CEH
<<

Ketchup

Post Fri Feb 26, 2010 4:58 pm

I use only the Lynx browser.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Ketchup
<<

jimbob

Post Fri Feb 26, 2010 5:27 pm

Ketchup wrote:I use only the Lynx browser.

Pfft! Real hackers use netcat for surfing teh interwebs.
<<

partek

Post Fri Feb 26, 2010 7:54 pm

The more I learn, the more paranoid I become I think. I just finished PWB and learning just how easy client side attacks are really kicked up the paranoia a bit..
CISSP, CISM, CISA, CCNA Security, OSCP, CEH
<<

n0on3

Post Sat Feb 27, 2010 5:02 am

I think paranoia is part of my nature, knowing how (some) things works and "be aware of which the threats may be" just gives you a better chance to avoid them and be somehow more serene...

I mean, if i don't know what's going on with something that manage anything important to me, i'll probably be more 'paranoid' than knowing what is the risk and what i can do in order to mitigate it, or why am i accepting that.
This is just because i usually don't trust what i don't understand, and even less what i don't know anything about.

Obviously you can't get deep knowledge about everything, but the more you know, the more you can be good at evaluating risks, and this should decrease your paranoia level.

In short, there's nothing bad in using countermeasures, but since some of them require time or resource charge or makes your experience poor, you shold become good to evaluate, case by case, when they are appropriate or not.
<<

zeroflaw

Post Sat Feb 27, 2010 6:07 am

I've always been slightly paranoid when it comes to computers and what to trust. About a year ago I started checking security logs and processes that run on my system on a regular basis. Sometimes I even check open TCP connections :P

ZF
Last edited by zeroflaw on Sat Feb 27, 2010 7:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
ZF
<<

j0rDy

Post Sat Feb 27, 2010 7:12 am

unsupported wrote:My information security career has made me very paranoid!  For example, I only read my email in plain text to prevent any rogue links or other issues.  I also use Firefox with add-ons like No Script and Ad-Block Plus.  At home, I have replaced Adobe Reader with FoxIt Reader and I am in the middle of looking for an Adobe Flash replacement (Gnash seems appropriate).

I still use Windows Firewall because I've been lazy about finding a replacement, and I prefer to use OpenOffice at home as well.

In regards to hardware, I just bought a Kensington lock because I am bringing my laptop to school.

What paranoia have you been driven to since you know all the evils of the internet?

all sounds very familiar! sometimes when i want to order stuff on the internet and see oscommerce i get suspicious! however, i think you can throw that kensington lock away, or did you get some improved version?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0SkKJ4yOKo8
CISSP, CEH, ECSA, OSCP, OSWP

earning my stripes appears to be a road i must travel alone...with a little help of EH.net
<<

teedge77

Post Sat Feb 27, 2010 8:39 am

The Kensington lock is a deterrent, like the 4 foot fence around the building. It'll stop some jackass from just walking away with it; but it won't stop someone determined to get it. If they're really determined.....they'll just take it from you with force and go. The Kensington lock is better than nothing at all.
<<

unsupported

Post Sat Feb 27, 2010 9:00 am

teedge77 wrote:The Kensington lock is a deterrent, like the 4 foot fence around the building. It'll stop some jackass from just walking away with it; but it won't stop someone determined to get it. If they're really determined.....they'll just take it from you with force and go. The Kensington lock is better than nothing at all.

All locks are just a deterrent or a method to slow someone down.  99% of the students at my school do not use locks like this.  If someone had the opportunity, would you rather take a computer with a lock or without?

I am just using the lock for when I am in class and take a break, if I am in the library or open area the laptop comes with me.  I'm also going to use it in my next SANS class, so I do not have to carry around my laptop.
Last edited by unsupported on Sat Feb 27, 2010 9:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
-Un
<<

teedge77

Post Sat Feb 27, 2010 11:34 am

I am confused, were you agreeing with me? You restated exactly what I was saying.

unsupported wrote:
teedge77 wrote:The Kensington lock is a deterrent, like the 4 foot fence around the building. It'll stop some jackass from just walking away with it; but it won't stop someone determined to get it. If they're really determined.....they'll just take it from you with force and go. The Kensington lock is better than nothing at all.

All locks are just a deterrent or a method to slow someone down.  99% of the students at my school do not use locks like this.  If someone had the opportunity, would you rather take a computer with a lock or without?

I am just using the lock for when I am in class and take a break, if I am in the library or open area the laptop comes with me.  I'm also going to use it in my next SANS class, so I do not have to carry around my laptop.
<<

hayabusa

Post Sat Feb 27, 2010 11:58 am

I think he was generally in agreement, and was solely noting that he'd prefer to at least have a deterrent, to slow down the probability of his being the first one in sight to be grabbed...
~ hayabusa ~ 

"All men can see these tactics whereby I conquer, but what none can see is the strategy out of which victory is evolved." - Sun Tzu, 'The Art of War'

OSCE, OSCP , GPEN, C|EH
<<

rattis

Post Sat Feb 27, 2010 12:37 pm

I was paranoid before I started playing in InfoSec. First GSP NOC I worked for required us to be so.

I'm using the same thing for browsing. on my laptop (main computer right now), I'm running linux, with denyhosts (running ssh open on the firewall on port 22), tripwire, snort, and logwatch.

When I'm traveling with it, I use a live cd only.
OSWP, Sec+
<<

unsupported

Post Sat Feb 27, 2010 5:31 pm

teedge77 wrote:I am confused, were you agreeing with me? You restated exactly what I was saying.

Yes. :) 
-Un
Next

Return to Other