Hackers well represented by Hollywood.

<<

unsupported

Post Thu Feb 25, 2010 2:13 pm

Hackers well represented by Hollywood.

It appears hackers have a good Hollywood agent, because a study of 50 movies involving hackers show that on average a hacker is 30 years old, a professional, and works in IT.  Pimply faced teens who live in their mothers basement and live for hacking the Gibson, need not apply.

Also, the majority (73%) of hackers are the good guys to boot.  Yay good guys!

I gotta respect this guy because he hits on the classics, Superman 3 and Wargames. :)

http://www.pcworld.idg.com.au/article/337522
-Un
CISSP, GCIH, GCIA, C|EH, Sec+, Net+, MCP
<<

hayabusa

Post Thu Feb 25, 2010 2:22 pm

Re: Hackers well represented by Hollywood.

Nice followup to that thread a few weeks ago, about movies with tech / hacking / security themes.

Thanks for the read, unsupported.
~ hayabusa ~ 

"All men can see these tactics whereby I conquer, but what none can see is the strategy out of which victory is evolved." - Sun Tzu, 'The Art of War'

OSCE, OSCP , GPEN, C|EH
<<

j0rDy

Post Fri Feb 26, 2010 5:25 am

Good article! however i believe that the most populair ones always feature the young playing in his room with computers type. There is a link in the article referring to the 50 movies he used for his study. so if your on a friday night at home and dont have anything to do, just work up that list.
CISSP, CEH, ECSA, OSCP, OSWP

earning my stripes appears to be a road i must travel alone...with a little help of EH.net
<<

unsupported

Post Fri Feb 26, 2010 8:48 am

Hrm.. I tend to disagree, unless I just haven't seen the movies you are talking about j0rDy.  The popular movies where the young playing in his room?  I think that applies to two movies, Hackers and Wargames.  A borderline movie would be Anti-Trust, but he is a college student living on his own. 

Oh, wait, I think I missed Wargames 2: The Dead Code.  Even though it is blasphemy, I believe the kid is young and in his mothers basement.

There are other movies in this list (http://www.comp.dit.ie/dgordon/Publicat ... ataset.htm), where the "hacker" character is under 25, but I do not qualify most of them as living in their mothers basement.  Like The Italian Job, Serenity... but then I am just starting to split hairs between living in a basement and living on your own. :)

In regards to the older movies, he references Deskset, which is a good movie... even though it is in black and white.
-Un
<<

j0rDy

Post Fri Feb 26, 2010 1:24 pm

hmm...maybe my opinion was based on the movies i saw and not the list. i see i missed quite a few. someway i see alot of movies like for example swordfish where the hacker is profiled like that. i really like the part where they compare languages, hehe  8)

earning my stripes appears to be a road i must travel alone...with a little help of EH.net
<<

unsupported

Post Fri Feb 26, 2010 1:39 pm

j0rDy wrote:hmm...maybe my opinion was based on the movies i saw and not the list. i see i missed quite a few. someway i see alot of movies like for example swordfish where the hacker is profiled like that. i really like the part where they compare languages, hehe  8)

You should see more hacker movies.  If you do not learn from history, you are doomed to repeat it. :) :) :)
-Un
<<

Ketchup

Post Fri Feb 26, 2010 1:49 pm

I think that there was always a level of mystery surrounding hackers.  I think that most people are more interested in what a hacker does, than what he or she looks like.  I don't think that a particular appearance is attribute to hacker.  The pimply faced, hot pockets eating dude in a basement is more of a gamer stereotype. 
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Ketchup
<<

j0rDy

Post Sat Feb 27, 2010 7:08 am

unsupported wrote:
j0rDy wrote:hmm...maybe my opinion was based on the movies i saw and not the list. i see i missed quite a few. someway i see alot of movies like for example swordfish where the hacker is profiled like that. i really like the part where they compare languages, hehe  8)

You should see more hacker movies.  If you do not learn from history, you are doomed to repeat it. :) :) :)

uhm...werent we all "ethical"?  8) and what i learn from most hollywood movies is that the profession is hyped ALOT! remembering flashy screens, countdown timers until youre traced etc. good example:

the only situations i can think of are the following: or you succeed, or you dont. worst case scenario is you knock down a few (production) servers. and for that we have the NDA with an additional responsiblity part wich summons the following: for whatever I do, YOUR responsible :P

<<

unsupported

Post Sat Feb 27, 2010 9:04 am

Ketchup wrote:...The pimply faced, hot pockets eating dude in a basement is more of a gamer stereotype. 

The first shot has been fired.  Let the Gamer/Hacker flame war of '10 begin!!!!
-Un
<<

teedge77

Post Sat Feb 27, 2010 11:42 am

Isn't Gerard Butler (Leonidas in 300) the new "gamer" stereotype? Oh, wait...pimply kid eating hot pockets in a basement ran him like a puppet...nevermind.  :-\

unsupported wrote:
Ketchup wrote:...The pimply faced, hot pockets eating dude in a basement is more of a gamer stereotype. 

The first shot has been fired.  Let the Gamer/Hacker flame war of '10 begin!!!!

Return to Mass Media