[Article]-Cool and Illegal Wireless Hotspot Hacks

<<

don

Administrator
Administrator

Post Thu Jul 20, 2006 2:58 pm

[Article]-Cool and Illegal Wireless Hotspot Hacks

Well, it's been a long time coming, but our wireless guru, Dan Hoffman, is back on the saddle. And boy was it worth the wait. This article is a long one, but the word 'Cool' in the title is absolutely justified.

So enjoy Cool and Illegal Wireless Hotspot Hacks, and be sure to add your thoughts below.

Don
CISSP, MCSE, CSTA, Security+ SME
<<

nusa dusa

Post Wed Aug 02, 2006 3:30 am

Re: [Article]-Cool and Illegal Wireless Hotspot Hacks

Hi

I am a newbie in ethical hacking. I have good understanding of networks sysytems, web applications penetration testing but exploiting us a new era for me.

I am administering a couple of LAN s connected to each other through switches and routers. I had been using windows servers for most of the administering part, bur now i own a new macbook and i am willing to learn more about unix environments.

I ve read your article and i am amazed how easy it is to exploit a windows system. Although it seems easy i could not manage to use the exploit mentioned in your artile.

The exploit you use is "ie_createtextrange" . This exploit is available in .pm ( perl module ) format . In metasploit exploit pages they say all i have to do is to copy this exploit into exploit directory. But all the other exploits ( default ones coming with installation of alpha 3) are in .rb ( ruby ? ) format.

So when i type use ie_createtextrange in msfconsole i get an error. Do i have to compile .pm into .rb , if so how ?

I am sorry if this seems to be a very stupid question but i am really new to perl, ruby, unix darwin enviroments.

Thanks in advance for your response.
<<

LSOChris

Post Wed Aug 02, 2006 8:25 am

that exploit is for MSF 2.x  you need to install that if you want to run the exploit, i dont know if it has been ported to MSF 3 yet.
<<

nusa dusa

Post Wed Aug 02, 2006 10:59 am

Yes but not just that xploit is in .pm format, all others on the site are same .pm not .rb ???
<<

LSOChris

Post Wed Aug 02, 2006 6:42 pm

that is correct, the ruby ported exploits are bundled with the MSF v3 package.
<<

slimjim100

EH-Net Columnist
EH-Net Columnist

Post Fri Nov 10, 2006 12:14 am

Very good Article!! I have done some thing similar with a Soekris SBC and Monowall. I have also see people just APR Poison a network (like with Cain & Able) and steel the info and traffic that way. WiFi has a lot of risks to it and when you add Spoofing, Phishing, and Fake AP's it can only confuse normal users.

Slimjim100
CISSP, CCSE, CCNA, CCAI, Network+, Security+, JNCIA, & MCP
<<

apocolypto

Post Thu Mar 26, 2009 4:43 pm

Well, I understand that I am a little late to the party as this thread is over two years old, but as they say better late than never! :)

I have noticed that the creators of softAP no longer make/distribute this product.  Is there a functional equivalent?  Since I am new to all of this I am going back through old articles and trying to recreate some of these things so I gain a better undertanding of how they work and their limitations.

Best defense is a good offense right?  Boy, I am full of adages today :)  If anyone has any suggestions I would be most appreciative.  Also it would need to be in <cough cough> Win Xp platform <cough cough>
Last but not least, thank you for a well written and informative article!  It makes me sad to think that a few months ago, all of a sudden there was a "free wifi access portal" in our neighborhood that disappeared after a few weeks.  Guess now I have an idea of what it was and what happened.
There are only 10 types of people in the world.  Those who understand binary and those who don't.

Return to Hoffman