Where to start??

<<

LT72884

Post Tue Feb 23, 2010 8:37 pm

Where to start??

I have a bunch of info on ethical hacking. I just have no idea where to start. But first of all what i need help with is De-ice. I am the type of person that needs to be shown first then i try it and learn from that. IE, a instruction sheet says type this command in the global config of routerA. THEN it explains to me what the command is doing. I then type it and watch what happens. Ok now that you know how i semi work, i am looking for a great tutorial that has been written on how to hack and complete de-ice exercises and explain what is happening at the same time. Sorta like how the CCNP books i use for school. So basically a lab guide to complete the exercises of de-ice step by step.

I have done my CCNA stuff, I have done all my RHCT and some RHCE stuff and now im working on my CCNP. However i still have problems understanding how protocols work.

Ok now that that is out of the way here is what i have gained from friends and professors/classes for net security.

Hacking exposed 5th edition
CEH study guide 2009 edition.
pen test open source tool kit vol2 2007 (lost the dang CD)
A few labs from backtrack(received by a professor)

I need to build a good lab as well. I have 3 cisco enterprise routers and 5 switches. What is a good lab set up?? oh and i have a really powerful desktop for vm's..I have heard about that course by backtrack but never looked into it cuz i have no money for that. BUT i want to build the same lab environment that they use so if anyone has taken the courses it would be nice to know what machines or devices you attacked.

Ok thats it i think..

I really really appreciate this guys. Im not kidding. Thank you so much.

Matt

PS. im not looking for someone to hold my hand perse, but rather "shove" me in the right direction.
Last edited by LT72884 on Tue Feb 23, 2010 8:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
<<

Grendel

Post Wed Feb 24, 2010 2:54 am

Re: Where to start??

I don't want to sound self-serving, but considering I developed the de-ice disks and wrote a book around the disks, I would like to suggest you pick up my "professional penetration testing" book. It walks you through each step, just like you proposed. There's a link for the book somewhere on this site, or you could click the link at the same place you got the de-ice disks.

- Tom
- Thomas Wilhelm, MSCS MSM
ISSMP CISSP SCSECA SCNA IEM

Web Site:
  • http://HackingDojo.com
Author:
  • Professional Penetration Testing
  • Ninja Hacking
  • Penetration Tester's Open Source Toolkit
  • Metasploit Toolkit for Penetration Testing
  • Netcat Power Tools
<<

caissyd

Post Wed Feb 24, 2010 6:19 am

Grendel,

I have used the your De-Ice live CDs and I loved them. Great job!
You inspired me in doing something to for the community!!!

PS: I got your book too!  ;)
OSCP, GPEN, GWAPT, GSEC, CEH, CISSP
(aka H1t.M0nk3y)
<<

hayabusa

Post Wed Feb 24, 2010 8:08 am

Tom, as I've mentioned your book to a few folks on here, already, just let me say thank you for an excellent book - a great resource!  I've already read through it a few times, and have recommended it to a number of folks I deal with.
~ hayabusa ~ 

"All men can see these tactics whereby I conquer, but what none can see is the strategy out of which victory is evolved." - Sun Tzu, 'The Art of War'

OSCE, OSCP , GPEN, C|EH
<<

Grendel

Post Wed Feb 24, 2010 9:45 am

Thanks for the kudos!!! I sincerely appreciate you guys buying the book, and am glad that you enjoyed it. If you have a bit of time and inkling to spread the word, I humbly request you pop over to Amazon and post a review for the book.

:-[

Web Site:
Author:
  • Ninja Hacking
  • Netcat Power Tools
<<

LT72884

Post Wed Feb 24, 2010 2:02 pm

Grendel wrote:Thanks for the kudos!!! I sincerely appreciate you guys buying the book, and am glad that you enjoyed it. If you have a bit of time and inkling to spread the word, I humbly request you pop over to Amazon and post a review for the book.

:-[

NICE, did not know you were on these forums. I have heard of your book and want to buy it. I actually have been saving for it. I did not know it was a step by step guide so i appreciate that input. I wish i could find a study group around here that would want to learn with me. I cant motivate myself to learn outside of full time school. hahah. Well im gonna buy the book now. If i have questions though, where do i go and how do i ask you if i need answers??

thanx

Matt

EDIT

Just bought the book
Last edited by LT72884 on Wed Feb 24, 2010 2:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
<<

Grendel

Post Wed Feb 24, 2010 5:23 pm

Awesome - thanks for buying the book. As for contact, there's a forum at heorot.net to support both the liveCDs and the book; you can PM me here or there, or use the email in the book.  =)

- Tom

Web Site:
Author:
  • Ninja Hacking
  • Netcat Power Tools
<<

LT72884

Post Wed Feb 24, 2010 8:57 pm

Grendel wrote:Awesome - thanks for buying the book. As for contact, there's a forum at heorot.net to support both the liveCDs and the book; you can PM me here or there, or use the email in the book.  =)

- Tom

Ok thanx. Im looking forward to reading the book. Just need patience so i dont get overwhelmed..
<<

UNIX

Post Mon Mar 01, 2010 10:27 am

As already recommended, take a look at the forums of heorot.net, as you will certainly find a few tips and guides on how to proceed with the de-ice discs. If I remember correctly, there was for example also a video-tutorial made by purehate.

I would also recommend not to use them, though, until you are really stuck. Although you might learn the other way round easier, I think it is important to try it this way. There is not always the possibility to look at an already existing solution when you are stuck. Trying it right from the beginning this way might help if you experience similar scenarios in future.

If you haven't done already, look through this forums for a while, as others have often asked the same question (where to start), where you might find one or another good reply which might help you as well, even if the origin might not be the exactly same.
<<

LT72884

Post Sat Mar 06, 2010 5:14 pm

awesec wrote:As already recommended, take a look at the forums of heorot.net, as you will certainly find a few tips and guides on how to proceed with the de-ice discs. If I remember correctly, there was for example also a video-tutorial made by purehate.

I would also recommend not to use them, though, until you are really stuck. Although you might learn the other way round easier, I think it is important to try it this way. There is not always the possibility to look at an already existing solution when you are stuck. Trying it right from the beginning this way might help if you experience similar scenarios in future.

If you haven't done already, look through this forums for a while, as others have often asked the same question (where to start), where you might find one or another good reply which might help you as well, even if the origin might not be the exactly same.

Thanx for the input. I cant believe that im 25 and i still dont know the best way for me to learn. HAHA

Sometimes i dont mind being shown the answer because then that allows me to try and find out how they got that answer. But then i dont mind trying to figure it out as well.

But for this excercise since i have never done pen testing, i dont mind being walked throw. lol

thanx
<<

LT72884

Post Sun Mar 07, 2010 7:37 pm

awesec wrote:As already recommended, take a look at the forums of heorot.net, as you will certainly find a few tips and guides on how to proceed with the de-ice discs. If I remember correctly, there was for example also a video-tutorial made by purehate.

I wonder if toms book follows the same way as purehate does. I watched the first video and thought it was pretty cool.

Return to Network Pen Testing