Damn Vulnerable Linux Lesson Videos?

<<

bri_dev

Post Mon Feb 22, 2010 4:29 pm

Damn Vulnerable Linux Lesson Videos?

Supposedly DVL has video lessons that go over the exercises in this training distro. I tried to download these but could not find them. It looks like the DVL folks have gone professional and are just selling training now?

Does anyone know if there are still free videos for this training distribution? Or is it just a tool for their training programs now?
<<

hayabusa

Post Mon Feb 22, 2010 4:56 pm

Re: Damn Vulnerable Linux Lesson Videos?

Hmmm... To be honest, I don't think I ever looked for videos for DVL.  Just went to work on it...  A quick Google search turned up a couple on YouTube, so you might start there.
~ hayabusa ~ 

"All men can see these tactics whereby I conquer, but what none can see is the strategy out of which victory is evolved." - Sun Tzu, 'The Art of War'

OSCE, OSCP , GPEN, C|EH
<<

bri_dev

Post Mon Feb 22, 2010 5:10 pm

I appreciate your reply and I am glad you knew where to go and what to do to just get working on it, but for me, the whole reason I was interested in it was that this distro was supposed to be some self contained learning tool with lessons, videos, etc.

Unfortunately I don't see anything like that on boot up or through a cursory poking around of the Live CD.

All I see on their website is a link to some certification that they now offer and all old links I see on the web to their previous videos no longer work.

This is a shame. I heard really good things about this distro as a learning tool but I guess all of the hype was back when they were more about spreading knowledge rather than making money.
<<

Ketchup

Post Mon Feb 22, 2010 7:19 pm

I think that they are going through some sort of transition.  The DVL site does not appear to be fully functional.  Try searching torrents for older distributions of the videos and DVL. 

Although if you have the distro, you can use various techniques to try to pwn it.  Check out the videos on securitytube.net, for example.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Ketchup
<<

hayabusa

Post Mon Feb 22, 2010 7:50 pm

I's agree with Ketchup.

I think you might find older versions to be more helpful.  I downloaded, and will look at, the latest version, today, to see what's there.  I know older ones were much more 'beginner-friendly.'

In the meantime, let us know if you find more, as well.  Additionally, if you want to do some learning, get the de-ice labs, etc, and start playing with those, as well.  If you have some extra pocket money, the book Thomas Wilhelm wrote is great, and contains them, as well as some good lesson material, for only about $80 us...  Much cheaper than many of the other possible options you'd have (while obviously still not 'free' as you'd like with the DVL...)
~ hayabusa ~ 

"All men can see these tactics whereby I conquer, but what none can see is the strategy out of which victory is evolved." - Sun Tzu, 'The Art of War'

OSCE, OSCP , GPEN, C|EH
<<

bri_dev

Post Tue Feb 23, 2010 11:33 am

Thanks very much for the replies. My goal here was to have some structured materials that I could use for CPE credits for my CISSP requirement (they are coming do in July, ugh).

I will take a look at the de-ice labs and the Wilhelm book. I wasn't so much looking for free, but I didn't want to spend hundreds of dollars for formerly free content, like the DVL training used to be.

I will also try to find some older versions of DVL. Does anyone know of version numbers that might be more in line with what I'm looking for?

Thanks again for the help.

Return to Tutorials