Minipci wirelss card suggestions?

<<

unsupported

Post Sat Feb 20, 2010 9:20 am

Minipci wirelss card suggestions?

Ok, I just got a new (to me laptop) and I want to upgrade to a minipci wirelss card which would be suitable for a pen testing lab.  I all ready have a PCMCIA Orinoco Gold which will probably remain in my linux laptop, but wanted something compatible for my laptop.  I would prefer it to be fully supported in Linux (either natively or with a patch), support injection, promiscious, monitor mode, .  Based upon this link (http://airodump.net/wifi-hardware-monitor-applications/), I've narrowed it down to the Intel® PRO/Wireless 2915ABG or Intel® PRO/Wireless 2200BG, but I wanted to know some real world suggestions.

Thanks!

p.s.  Can you help me haxor Microsoft Network Hearts?  Someone p0wned me and I want revenge!!!
-Un
CISSP, GCIH, GCIA, C|EH, Sec+, Net+, MCP
<<

hayabusa

Post Sat Feb 20, 2010 9:30 am

Re: Minipci wirelss card suggestions?

unsupported wrote:p.s.  Can you help me haxor Microsoft Network Hearts?  Someone p0wned me and I want revenge!!!

L-O-L, R-O-F-L, and all that !  :P
~ hayabusa ~ 

"All men can see these tactics whereby I conquer, but what none can see is the strategy out of which victory is evolved." - Sun Tzu, 'The Art of War'

OSCE, OSCP , GPEN, C|EH
<<

rattis

Post Sat Feb 20, 2010 12:08 pm

unsupported wrote: I've narrowed it down to the Intel® PRO/Wireless 2915ABG or Intel® PRO/Wireless 2200BG, but I wanted to know some real world suggestions.

Thanks!

While I haven't used those Intel® PRO/Wireless wireless cards, I do have an Intel® PRO/Wireless 3945 in my laptop (built in), and it works pretty good. I've had some diver issues with it in linux, but the the support has gotten better.

unsupported wrote:p.s.  Can you help me haxor Microsoft Network Hearts?  Someone p0wned me and I want revenge!!!

Was that before or after the hacked your computer, and stole your phone number?

*edit to change the quoting around
OSWP, Sec+
<<

Ketchup

Post Sun Feb 21, 2010 12:26 am

I usually keep my built-in card, even it doesn't support injection, and opt for an external USB dongle with full nix support and injection.  This allows me to maintain one NIC in monitor mode, and one in Managed mode.  I find this convenient.  That's just me though.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Ketchup
<<

hayabusa

Post Sun Feb 21, 2010 9:08 am

Ditto, and I find performance is generally better doing it that way.  My USB Linksys does a great job with the injection side.
~ hayabusa ~ 

"All men can see these tactics whereby I conquer, but what none can see is the strategy out of which victory is evolved." - Sun Tzu, 'The Art of War'

OSCE, OSCP , GPEN, C|EH
<<

unsupported

Post Sun Feb 21, 2010 9:42 am

Thank you for the recommendations.  I am doing this in a lab setting, so, I need to balance cost and features.  I just found out a laptop that was just donated to me also can use a minipci card, so I found multiple ones in an auction that will save on shipping.

So, I can use those for every day, and if I need to maintain one in monitor and one in managed, then I can use my Orinoco gold, or the other handful of cards I have.

Thanks!
-Un
CISSP, GCIH, GCIA, C|EH, Sec+, Net+, MCP

Return to Wireless