Unsecured Network Problem

<<

nmatoka

Post Thu Feb 18, 2010 11:44 am

Unsecured Network Problem

First...I know nothing about hacking (ethical or unethical), so if you do not have patience you do have the capability to ignore this post and go about your day.

I connect to an unsecure network at my college and have no problem doing anything online except accessing an online game I play.  Is this because there is network security preventing it, or is my unsecure connection just not configured correctly?

Like I said, if this is 'unethical' just ignore it, you don't need to waste your time with insults.

The online game freezes at the screen "Entering the gaming network"

Any help or advice is very appreciated, thank you.
<<

hayabusa

Post Thu Feb 18, 2010 11:52 am

Re: Unsecured Network Problem

Your school network very likely denies access through their firewalls to the ports necessary for the game, at least from the subnet from which you're accessing the network.  There are ways around these types of restrictions, but the 'ethical' answer would be, if you really want to play the game, then you should ask the network admins if they'll allow that traffic through, etc.  If they are restricting it, then we can't give you ways around it, as they obviously feel the restrictions are there for a purpose.

(The question was ethical, and you very well may have fully ethical intentions, therefore, I'd suggest asking the admins if they allow, or would be willing to allow, the gaming traffic.)

Good luck with the network admins, and your games.
~ hayabusa ~ 

"All men can see these tactics whereby I conquer, but what none can see is the strategy out of which victory is evolved." - Sun Tzu, 'The Art of War'

OSCE, OSCP , GPEN, C|EH
<<

venom77

Post Thu Feb 18, 2010 11:53 am

Who runs/manages this network? Perhaps you could ask them but it sounds like whatever ports are needed for the game are probably blocked.
<<

nmatoka

Post Thu Feb 18, 2010 11:56 am

Thank you very much

Return to Wireless