Vulnerable Software Repository?

<<

dtoliaferro

Post Wed Feb 17, 2010 7:55 pm

Vulnerable Software Repository?

Hi, I'm new to ethical hacking/penetration testing and I was wondering if there's anything like a repository for vulnerable application source code.

I'd like to practice compiling the sources of vulnerable software and try running exploits on them.

Thanks
<<

rattis

Post Wed Feb 17, 2010 9:15 pm

Re: Vulnerable Software Repository?

this thread might have some of what you're looking for. It'll also give you some ideas.

Milw0rm has some of the exploits you can compile yourself, but might not be what you're after.
OSWP, Sec+
<<

dtoliaferro

Post Wed Feb 17, 2010 9:33 pm

Hey chrisj, thanks for replying.

The resource you linked to is very cool, and I'll definitely be looking into it. Thanks a lot!

Though, I guess what I'm looking for is a software database to go along with exploits. From my limited experience in searching for vulnerable software I've noticed that vendors seem to omit them, or only offer a patched version in the download links.

I'll just keep Googling until I find a vulnerability + exploit combination that works.
<<

UNIX

Post Thu Feb 18, 2010 12:58 am

The exploit-database offers not only exploits but also a mirror of the vuln. software, so this might be something you are looking for.
<<

unsupported

Post Thu Feb 18, 2010 6:47 am

dtoliaferro wrote:Though, I guess what I'm looking for is a software database to go along with exploits.

This might be a problem if you are looking for commercial uncompiled code.  You may need to look into open source code.  In which case this may help, http://osvdb.org/.

From my limited experience in searching for vulnerable software I've noticed that vendors seem to omit them, or only offer a patched version in the download links.

Right, because the software is vulnerable.  Preventing vulnerable software from being available reduces their liabilities.

I'll just keep Googling until I find a vulnerability + exploit combination that works.

That works too.  You can also check out OWASP (http://www.owasp.org).  I'd consider them the leaders in open source security.
Last edited by unsupported on Thu Feb 18, 2010 8:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
-Un
CISSP, GCIH, GCIA, C|EH, Sec+, Net+, MCP
<<

Ketchup

Post Thu Feb 18, 2010 8:30 am

I have also sometimes had luck finding the vulnerable version of the archive.org site.  You have to know the filename of the download you are looking for, but sometimes it comes through.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Ketchup
<<

dtoliaferro

Post Thu Feb 18, 2010 10:09 am

Wow, thanks a lot everybody. Your posts have been very helpful to me.

Return to Network Pen Testing