cracking wpa

<<

joshboss1234

Post Wed Feb 17, 2010 8:57 am

cracking wpa

i ve been messing around cracking my wpa key with backtrack 3. is wpa really that secure? is there a program that will crack a wpa key with out using a word list? still a beginner here, but not a completly. also i am only able to find tutorials for wireless cracking with backtrack 3. is that all it's really good for? if so what else would you suggest? thanks alot.
<<

zeroflaw

Post Wed Feb 17, 2010 9:17 am

Re: cracking wpa

From what I've heard and read I believe WPA-PSK is the easiest to crack using a dictionary attack with a really good wordlist.

Maybe this article will help you understand things.

http://www.smallnetbuilder.com/wireless ... -wpa--wpa2

Even found an article that talks about cracking WPA in 15 minutes lol.

http://www.pcworld.com/article/153396/.html?tk=rss_news

ZF
Last edited by zeroflaw on Wed Feb 17, 2010 9:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
ZF
<<

UNIX

Post Wed Feb 17, 2010 9:29 am

WEP and WPA are not secure, WPA2 is said to be secure at this point.

You can do some other things with Backtrack 3 despite wireless stuff. Also note that Backtrack 4 was released not too long ago.

Which programs have you used so far?
<<

hayabusa

Post Wed Feb 17, 2010 9:49 am

joshboss1234 wrote: also i am only able to find tutorials for wireless cracking with backtrack 3. is that all it's really good for? if so what else would you suggest? thanks alot.

There are considerably more things you can do with BackTrack. Have a look at the remote-exploit.org page regarding training:

http://www.remote-exploit.org/?page_id=297

as well as viewing some of the sample videos and articles on backtrack-linux forums, as well:

http://www.backtrack-linux.org/forums/

You could also look at Offensive Security's page, or even ping around on YouTube, and you'll find LOTS of examples of what can be done with BackTrack.  Heck, even firing up the tools from the menu will lend to SOME idea of what BackTrack can do...  As awesec said, though, I'd start looking at BT4...  I've liked the new stuff, so far!
~ hayabusa ~ 

"All men can see these tactics whereby I conquer, but what none can see is the strategy out of which victory is evolved." - Sun Tzu, 'The Art of War'

OSCE, OSCP , GPEN, C|EH
<<

joshboss1234

Post Wed Feb 17, 2010 3:38 pm

to start off... thanks for the help guys. im downloading backtrack 4 right now. with backtrack 3 i have only really used the wireless hacking tools like airmon-ng, airodump-ng, etc... i saw a thing on youtube were they were sniffing pictures and one where someone cracked and ftp password with a word list. thats all the questions i had for the moment i guess. thanks again.
<<

johnnekar

Post Tue Mar 02, 2010 2:28 am

Your tomorrow should be better than your today.. j0hnn3k4r
<<

dalepearson

Post Wed Mar 03, 2010 5:18 am

WPA with AES is still pretty good, WPA with TKIP has issues :)
WPA2 is the current best offerings.

As with all things, if you use a simple password, its going to be popable by a decent wordlist.

Cracking WPA is based on the SSID and the password / passphrase. The best thing about WPA cracking is you grab the handshake and away you go, not like the old days of WEP cracking.

Rainbow tables speed things up alot, so this is something worth looking at also.
I have recently been looking into CUDA, and I am planning on doing something with this in the lab soon, and will most likely write a blog post on it. Should see at least a 5x increase in cracking speed.

The BackTrack distro has many many tools, and everything has been compiled to be interoperable, its really worth a look. Wireless attack is just one function possible.

As with everything, given enough knowledge and time, anything can be popped in theory.

Happy learning.
<<

yatz

Post Fri Jun 25, 2010 9:55 am

It is interesting this came up because I was considering testing a WPA-PSK crack but never bothered trying to find a word list.  Maybe I'll give it another shot.
"Live as though you would die tomorrow, learn as though you would live forever."

CCNA, MCSA, MCTS, Sec+, Net+, Linux+, CEH

Return to Wireless