Looking for a place to start.

<<

stardustdrago

Post Wed Feb 10, 2010 4:39 pm

Looking for a place to start.

Hello, I am interested in being an ethical hacker, but I have no idea where to start (what programming languages I should learn, etc.) and I would appreciate it if some of you guys could help me out here.
<<

Ketchup

Post Wed Feb 10, 2010 5:17 pm

Re: Looking for a place to start.

Welcome to the forums.  You have come to the right place. 

I would recommend that you search the forum for "where to begin" or "how to start".  We have discussed this topic quite a bit.    Here is a recent topic with a link to a great article on the subject, for example:

http://www.ethicalhacker.net/component/option,com_smf/Itemid,54/topic,5015.0/
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Ketchup
<<

stardustdrago

Post Wed Feb 10, 2010 5:25 pm

Thanks for the info :), but I would like it better if I could get some suggestions about my exact situation.
<<

rattis

Post Wed Feb 10, 2010 5:40 pm

stardustdrago,

what is that, and we might be able to help. As for items Ketchup posted, they're designed to be a FAQ of a kind to fit everyone.
OSWP, Sec+
<<

stardustdrago

Post Wed Feb 10, 2010 5:42 pm

I want to be an ethical hacker, but I don't know where to start, and I have almost 0 experience. Where do you think I should start?
<<

hayabusa

Post Wed Feb 10, 2010 6:12 pm

The best place to start is...  right where Ketchup said.  No one person can give you a 'this is exactly where you should start,' because everyone's learning style and needs are different.  For some, video learning is key, so you might purchase come CBT's, or dig through free video tutorials.  For others, reading books helps, for some working on labs helps.  There's just too broad a spectrum.

If you truly want to do this, you should follow Ketchup's advice, start digging through the forums here, see what experiences others have, and what pointers and lessons they've taken away from the forums and discussions, and proceed from there. 

One other thing you'll find.  We're all here to help, but we're not here to simply handhold, as you won't learn effectively that way.  You need to begin your search, and if you have questions or want to discuss something you've read (if it's from another source outside of ethicalhacker.net, then post on it here, and we'll open a discussion,) then open the discussion.  But to simpy say, ' I would like it better if I could get some suggestions about my exact situation' tells us nothing of your 'exact situation' as everyone's differs, and you aren't asking us anything in particular, so we cannot answer you in particulars.

As Ketchup says, welcome to EH-Net, and you can learn a lot by being here.  Heck, I learned a ton just searching the forums before I even joined and started interacting with others here!

Good luck, and we look forward to future discussions with you.
~ hayabusa ~ 

"All men can see these tactics whereby I conquer, but what none can see is the strategy out of which victory is evolved." - Sun Tzu, 'The Art of War'

OSCE, OSCP , GPEN, C|EH
<<

rattis

Post Wed Feb 10, 2010 8:12 pm

stardustdrago wrote:I want to be an ethical hacker, but I don't know where to start, and I have almost 0 experience. Where do you think I should start?

Sorry I thought Ketchup posted the link to the pentester section. As for a good place to start, without leading by the hand, look in the all of the sub-sections of the forum.

One of the skills you have to have, is to be able to research things.
Last edited by rattis on Wed Feb 10, 2010 8:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
OSWP, Sec+
<<

don

Administrator
Administrator

Post Wed Feb 10, 2010 10:09 pm

Welcome to the community. Let's start by what do you know right now. Are you a student? If so, what are you studying? Are you working? What is your title and job description? If you truly know nothing then maybe we should start with what you like. Are you a coder at heart? Networking guy? Systems admin looking to know more about the attacks that happen in your server room on a daily basis? What makes you stay up all night just browsing the web to find out more? And don't tell me 'ethical hacking.' The field is too big to just say that. You have network pen testing, forensics, reverse engineering, wireless... and the list goes on.

So this is what the members are trying to tell you when they ask for you to give them a little more to go on.

In the meantime, try this:

1. Learn TCP/IP then more advanced networking concepts. Get your hands on some networking hardware and start playing.
2. Learn Python then move into a more advanced language.
3. Look at the pinned topics at the top of the Network Pen Testing Board.
4. Come back with an answer to my question of what keeps you up all night because you can't get enough... besides pr0n.  ;)

Does that help?

Don
CISSP, MCSE, CSTA, Security+ SME
<<

UNIX

Post Thu Feb 11, 2010 12:49 am

Search through the forums, it should keep you busy for quite a while and will most probably answer most of your current questions.
<<

venom77

Post Thu Feb 11, 2010 7:31 am

stardustdrago wrote:Where do you think I should start?

Google*

* imho of course

No need to state the same thing - I agree with what everyone else has stated.
<<

unsupported

Post Thu Feb 11, 2010 9:22 am

I hope you are able to take these suggestions to heart and stick around to learn.  The heart and soul of this forum came out to respond to your request.  They are not just trying to blow you off and let you drown in information.  It is just the opposite, we are throwing you a life jacket.

I hate to seem harsh, but anyone who is not willing to take suggestions and do their own work, then a career in ethical hacking may not be for them.  It is not an easy path where things are handed to you.  It requires a lot of self-taught knowledge, and hands-on experience, and practice.  While the method and framework for ethical hacking stays the same, there is an ever changing landscape of threats and threat vectors.

And there are very inexpensive methods for learning as described in some of the other threads which were recommended for you.  Your local community or college library is a wealth of information.  There are also local information security groups in your area like ISSA and ISACA which may be able to help.

Good luck.
-Un
CISSP, GCIH, GCIA, C|EH, Sec+, Net+, MCP
<<

venom77

Post Thu Feb 11, 2010 9:33 am

And to add to what unsupported just said...

Don't just show up and say "I want information [on my exact situation]" without providing information on what that situation might be.

Follow the links, search the forums and READ the posts, specifically the original post in those threads. See how other people formulated their questions/posts and what sort of response they received.

When you're ready, try again.
<<

stardustdrago

Post Tue Feb 16, 2010 12:46 pm

Thanks Don, I'll try that.

Return to Tutorials