Wireless cardbus adapter wanted for cracking wep/wpa networks

<<

stickmade

Post Wed Feb 10, 2010 1:38 pm

Wireless cardbus adapter wanted for cracking wep/wpa networks

Hi i have been doing some looking around for an cardbus adapter for my laptop that is compatible with programs like netstumber, airowizard & kismet etc. I would like advice on which would be the best adapter to buy. As i have seen lots of websites showing the compatible adapters for the above programs but i cannot seen to find any of these adapters on the internet for sale. I guess its only the older adpater will work & these are hard to find.

So it would be nice if someone could suggest an adapter & maybe point me in the direction on were i can purchase one. Also im in the uk will purchase from anywere in the world

Any help here is much appreciated  thanks (soz im a noob)
Last edited by stickmade on Wed Feb 10, 2010 1:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
<<

hayabusa

Post Wed Feb 10, 2010 2:00 pm

Re: WIRELESS CARDBUS ADAPTER WANTED FOR CRACKING WEP/WPA NETWORKS

I don't personally have a cardbus recommendation, but the Linksys WUSB54GC (USB) works well, if you need an alternative to cardbus and have USB ports.  With BT3, it just required me to pull an updated driver for it, and I haven't tested against BT4 yet, so can't say for sure.  But it does the job, and does it well.
~ hayabusa ~ 

"All men can see these tactics whereby I conquer, but what none can see is the strategy out of which victory is evolved." - Sun Tzu, 'The Art of War'

OSCE, OSCP , GPEN, C|EH
<<

stickmade

Post Wed Feb 10, 2010 2:38 pm

Re: Wireless cardbus adapter wanted for cracking wep/wpa networks

Do you know if this adapter D-Link DWA-111 Wireless G USB Adapter
Would be compatible with backtrack ? This is one i currently have and unsure if this could be used for cracking wep
<<

Ketchup

Post Wed Feb 10, 2010 3:45 pm

I didn't see that device on the compatibility list.  I had to view the list in Google's cache, since I couldn't get on the Backtrack site for some reason.  The link is here:

http://backtrack.offensive-security.com/index.php/HCL:Wireless
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Ketchup
<<

rattis

Post Wed Feb 10, 2010 3:51 pm

I have an old orinoco card (802.11b) gold card. It works good for most things. I have a Linksys that was good too. I've used both with Kismit and netstumbler back in the old days. But the Orinoco was before the days of G and the Linksys before the days of N.

While an external card is nice (especially if you can use it with airmagnet), I haven't  had many problems using the built in wifi card in my laptop. The few problems I did have were easy to Google.

The only down side I can really think of relying on the internal Wireless card is not being able to add an external antenna to it for longer ranges.

I found an Orinoco gold card for sale on Amazon. 50.00 usd.
Last edited by rattis on Wed Feb 10, 2010 3:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
OSWP, Sec+
<<

stickmade

Post Wed Feb 10, 2010 4:09 pm

Thank you people for your replys i have taken it all on board.  I've also been doing abit of reading on other forums and etc & i can see alot of people talk about backtrack? & also that its very compatible with the usb  AWUS036H adapter. I'm very tempted to buy this adapter & tryout backtrack. However i would like feedback on whether this is the right way to go ? Has anybody used this with backtrack. Just want to consider my options before jumping into buying something that may be crap!
<<

h0les

Post Wed Feb 10, 2010 4:56 pm

Hoping this isn't for your neighbour/s....

This shop as served me well. Based in the UK

http://stores.shop.ebay.co.uk/Crucial-W ... QQ_armrsZ1
<<

hayabusa

Post Wed Feb 10, 2010 5:27 pm

Ketchup wrote:I didn't see that device on the compatibility list.   I had to view the list in Google's cache, since I couldn't get on the Backtrack site for some reason.   The link is here:

http://backtrack.offensive-security.com/index.php/HCL:Wireless

Backtrack is no longer hosted at that page...  It's now at:

http://www.backtrack-linux.org/

;)
~ hayabusa ~ 

"All men can see these tactics whereby I conquer, but what none can see is the strategy out of which victory is evolved." - Sun Tzu, 'The Art of War'

OSCE, OSCP , GPEN, C|EH
<<

unsupported

Post Thu Feb 11, 2010 9:40 am

chrisj wrote:The only down side I can really think of relying on the internal Wireless card is not being able to add an external antenna to it for longer ranges.

I found an Orinoco gold card for sale on Amazon. 50.00 usd.

There are hardware hacks to add external antennas to internal cards.  For example, http://www.ghettohax.com/2009/02/add-ex ... ic-cf.html

Also, I would recommend buying an Orinoco silver and hacking it to be a gold.  Cheaper option and it works like a charm. :) (http://www.andrewhakman.dhs.org/orinoco/ and http://www.netstumbler.org/f9/lucent-silver-gold-7538/)  Oh, and it can be had under many different names, the Dell Truemobile 1150... and others, just make sure you have the right chipset (http://www.netstumbler.org/f9/orinoco-g ... nces-7822/).
-Un
CISSP, GCIH, GCIA, C|EH, Sec+, Net+, MCP
<<

hayabusa

Post Thu Feb 11, 2010 9:48 am

My only reason for the suggestion for USB was that, many of the newer laptops / netbooks I've come across (or even if you're using something like an oQo,) while they may have cardbus slots, they don't have PCMCIA.  Thus my recommendation to look at USB options, too.  There are simply so many different possibilities. 

Atheros chipsets have worked well for me, as have the Orinoco's.  So it's a matter of finding what'll suit your needs and budget, what you can locate, whether new or on eBay, or wherever, and to validate it's been tested.

Good luck.
~ hayabusa ~ 

OSCE, OSCP , GPEN, C|EH
<<

Ketchup

Post Thu Feb 11, 2010 12:15 pm

hayabusa wrote:Backtrack is no longer hosted at that page...  It's now at:

http://www.backtrack-linux.org/

;)

Sweet, thanks for the link!  I was beginning to get worried that Comcast was blocking the site for me :)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Ketchup
<<

UNIX

Post Thu Feb 11, 2010 12:37 pm

stickmade wrote:[...] i can see alot of people talk about backtrack? & also that its very compatible with the usb  AWUS036H adapter. I'm very tempted to buy this adapter & tryout backtrack. However i would like feedback on whether this is the right way to go ? Has anybody used this with backtrack. Just want to consider my options before jumping into buying something that may be crap!

It worked with Backtrack 3 and will most probably work with BT 4, though you might have to patch the driver.
<<

hayabusa

Post Thu Feb 11, 2010 12:40 pm

No worries, Ketchup...  I only knew as they posted on remote-exploit's page when BT4 final was released.

Cheers!
~ hayabusa ~ 

OSCE, OSCP , GPEN, C|EH
<<

MicroJay

Post Fri Feb 12, 2010 6:55 am

I have and still utilize the AWUS036H adapter.  It has worked very well with Backtrack 3 & 4.  No special drivers needed.  Able to add an external antenna for better reception.  It also does injection if needed.  I would recommend this if you are looking for a solid reliable device.  It has replaced all external cards that I have purchased over the years.

Hope this helps. 
GSEC - GCIH - GSNA - GPEN
<<

stickmade

Post Fri Feb 12, 2010 7:21 am

Thank you all for your input. I have made my mind up & will go with bt4 & the AWUS036H adapter. Your help has been much appreciated!
Next

Return to Wireless