How to start your infosec career?

<<

adrianodl

Post Thu Feb 04, 2010 4:37 am

How to start your infosec career?

Dear all,
I've written an article about this tricky topic, and would appreciate feedback and comments from professionals like you.
http://www.myinfosecjob.com/2010/02/how ... ty-career/

Regards,

A.
Last edited by adrianodl on Tue Feb 09, 2010 7:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
<<

hayabusa

Post Thu Feb 04, 2010 8:57 am

Re: How to start your infosec career?

Nice job, adrianodl.  It's always good to see ANY effort to help others to get started in this field.  I think you kept it concise, while still getting your thoughts and ideas across. 

The only place I had to re-read was where you said, "One good thing about an information security career is that the barriers to entry are fairly low, since the skills can be self-taught."  I had to catch myself from concentrating solely on that statement, as we all know there can be some very HIGH barriers to overcome, depending on what type of job you're pursuing, and with whom.  When I saw you came back with the comments about employers still looking for education and certifications, however, I understood where you were coming from, and it made more sense, in that you helped to distinguish the fact that it's not quite THAT easy, but that the key is to show your knowledge and experience.  I'm not totally certain how I might have reworded that myself, but I think, after you went forward with the idea, you explained yourself well.

Overall, a nice article, and thanks for sharing!
~ hayabusa ~ 

"All men can see these tactics whereby I conquer, but what none can see is the strategy out of which victory is evolved." - Sun Tzu, 'The Art of War'

OSCE, OSCP , GPEN, C|EH
<<

adrianodl

Post Tue Feb 09, 2010 7:18 am

Re: How to start your infosec career?

Hey hayabusa (nice nick). Thank you for the comment!
Yeah, I know what you mean. The sentence if taken out of context might sound bizarre!

But as I said there, EXPERIENCE is the word of the day, and newcomers usually struggle at this part.

I believe it's our duty to spread out our knowledge so the new kids on the block will be able to give continuity to our work.

Regards!

Adriano.

Return to Career Central