CompTIA backs off of retroactively expiring certs

<<

jason

Post Tue Jan 26, 2010 10:01 pm

CompTIA backs off of retroactively expiring certs

In the face of much protest, it appears that CompTIA has backed down from their plans to retroactively expire the certifications (sec+ included) of all current holders. The new plan is to begin making certifications expire starting in 2011. At this point, there will be a yearly maintenance fee and a certain number of CPEs to renew every three years.

http://www.comptia.org/News/PressReleas ... ified.aspx
<<

alucian

Post Wed Jan 27, 2010 8:41 am

Re: CompTIA backs off of retroactively expiring certs

CPE credits for A+  ;) That`s funny. What someone should do in order to obtain them? A subscription to PC Magazine?
CISSP ISSAP, CISM/A, GWAPT, GCIH, GREM, GMOB, OSWP
<<

venom77

Post Wed Jan 27, 2010 9:17 am

Yeah, I received an email outlining all of that last night too.

It was my understanding that per ANSI requirements, they couldn't do it that way - at least that's what we were told through EC-Council. Now I'm just waiting for all the CEH and other ECC certification holders (who originally threw a fit about the 'certified for life' thing when the ECE system came about) to start the same complaints again citing what CompTIA has just done :-[
<<

unsupported

Post Wed Jan 27, 2010 10:22 am

I hope everyone is happy.  A) The certs still expire B) There are still CPE requirements C) Now we have to pay a maintenance fee.

They couldn't just leave well enough alone.  Well, I'm off to say I told you so to another forum. :)
-Un
CISSP, GCIH, GCIA, C|EH, Sec+, Net+, MCP
<<

rattis

Post Wed Jan 27, 2010 10:51 am

I don't know. I remember when the Cisco Certs didn't expire. You'd get people that'd pass the cert, not touch a cisco box for a while, and not know the new things in the product (like VLANS), yet they were still certified.

I think continued education is a good thing, I don't like the thought of a fee, but it's better than having to take the test again every 3 years.
OSWP, Sec+
<<

bamed

Post Wed Jan 27, 2010 11:13 am

I agree that CPEs are needed to keep cert relevant; however, A+ and Network+ are entry-level certs.  Do you really need to keep entry-level certs relevant?  If you're still only entry-level 10 years later, it would show by your lack of 10 years of experience.
Now for Cisco Certs and CISSP, etc.  Life-time certs for these makes no sense.
chown -R bamed ./base
<<

Data_Raid

Post Wed Jan 27, 2010 11:17 am

Hmm, I do agree that it's a good thing keeping current with the latest technology and I like the idea of CPE's but I don't like the idea of paying a maintenance fee. Additionally, I think I'm willing to lose my CompTIA certification status if I have to pay a fee to maintain it.  :)
All men by nature desire knowledge.

Aristotle
<<

rattis

Post Wed Jan 27, 2010 12:18 pm

bamed wrote:I agree that CPEs are needed to keep cert relevant; however, A+ and Network+ are entry-level certs.  Do you really need to keep entry-level certs relevant?  If you're still only entry-level 10 years later, it would show by your lack of 10 years of experience.
Now for Cisco Certs and CISSP, etc.  Life-time certs for these makes no sense.

Depends, I've worked with people, all they want to do is the entry level stuff. They're happy doing help desk (which includes building the PCs and such) and don't want to do more. They actually push back when trying to get them to do more.

Then there are the people that work at the small mom and pop (I know their fading but I have a few around me that have lasted) computer shops doing custom builds and repair. One guy has been at one since I started going to it in the 90s.

It's not so much a lack of 10 years experience, they could have been doing it for 10 years. They could be really good at it. However keeping up with hardware is a full time job in itself now days.

I do have to agree with Data_Raid, I'd probably let the cert laps (like I did my CCNA) because of the fee.
OSWP, Sec+
<<

UNIX

Post Wed Jan 27, 2010 2:21 pm

I would appreciate a similar system as EC-Council has with it's points one have to earn within a certain period of time in order to not lose one of the certs.
<<

venom77

Post Thu Jan 28, 2010 7:52 am

awesec wrote:I would appreciate a similar system as EC-Council has with it's points one have to earn within a certain period of time in order to not lose one of the certs.

That is their plan, but it doesn't start until Jan. 1 2011.
<<

UNIX

Post Thu Jan 28, 2010 8:12 am

Yeah, but if I have not misunderstood it, there are not only the points but also a regularly fee one have to pay. The second part is the one I don't feel very comfortable with.
<<

UNIX

Post Fri Apr 09, 2010 3:08 am

I thought about getting S+ sooner or later, but I'm not sure if it should prior or after Jan. 1 2011. If I haven't missed something, before 2011 should be better - is that correct? Are there any benefits when doing it after?
<<

venom77

Post Fri Apr 09, 2010 6:55 am

I would do it prior so it doesn't expire.
<<

UNIX

Post Fri Apr 09, 2010 9:19 am

Yeah, I thought that too, but wasn't sure if I didn't miss anything. Another point to add on my todo-list for this year.

Thanks Bill. :)
<<

rattis

Post Fri Apr 09, 2010 5:56 pm

probably the only cert I'll go for this year. If I can get myself to sit down and get serious about studying for it. Of course, I need to get the money for the cert together first.
OSWP, Sec+

Return to General Certification