cain and abel

<<

neilmaclennan

Post Sat Jan 02, 2010 3:56 pm

cain and abel

i am interested in pen testing and so i downloaded cain and abel. as i was told it was an all in one sort of program. however every time i've ever run the program it has caused so much damage to my system that i have had to reinstall windows every time. and i can only run the program from safemode (i was using win xp pro corp) from a regular boot i cant run the program. also my antivirus goes ape when it finds it. why is it that cain and abel messes up your computer so much making it a program that's not worth the trouble to use. because of the damage it does to the computer it's run from. maybe i'm paranoid but because i only see the word cain under the program is it thew writer of the program that's abel and he takes control of your computer when you install it, or is it like the fable where abel kills cain ergo your computer? does anyone know of any virus/damage to host free pentesting software that runs under windows without having to buy an airpcap usb stick? and why does cain mess up your compuetr and are my paranoid suppositions true or false. and why wont windows run it from a regular boot. and is the damage the program does intentional or not? thanks and if this is too long winded then let me know if i should edit this post and bullet item the questons? thanks and if you cant help please reply that so i know if im being ignored or not. ???
<<

Data_Raid

Post Mon Jan 04, 2010 4:07 am

Re: cain and abel

Firsly, running Can and Abel on your "daily use PC" isn't recommended, meaning that you should have a test PC that you can install various tools on without any anti-virus, personal firewalls and anti-malware. Your anti-virus is doing exactly what it's supposed to be doing: detecting/deleting malicious software.  ;)

Secondly, I'm not sure what you mean by messing up your computer, what Cain and Abel tools did you run? I have Cain and Abel installed on a test XP SP2 machine (using VMWare) with no anti-virus, no anti-malware etc.. and the machine boots fine, everytime.
All men by nature desire knowledge.

Aristotle
<<

neilmaclennan

Post Mon Jan 04, 2010 6:00 pm

every time i've run cain and abel i have had to reinstall the OS because it screwed it up somehow. oh and why wont cain and abel run on a normal boot. i could only get it to work via safemode.
<<

ItsTheLion

Post Mon Jan 04, 2010 10:31 pm

Most AV is going to mark Cain and Abel as a threat. You should be able to mark these files as safe depending on what your using.

I second the suggestion of using a test environment. VMs will be your friend in the long journey of learning and breaking stuff. I use virtual box but vmware is good too.

As for how to install and use Cain your best best would be to consult the documentation written by the creators http://www.oxid.it/ca_um/
<<

jason

Post Tue Jan 05, 2010 11:01 am

A virtual machine is definitely the way to go.
<<

UNIX

Post Sat Jan 09, 2010 8:07 am

Maybe it's just not meant for you.
<<

timmedin

Post Tue Jan 12, 2010 10:27 pm

Where did you download it from? It should be http://www.oxid.it/cain.html
twitter.com/timmedin | http://blog.securitywhole.com
<<

summved

Post Sat Jan 15, 2011 2:15 am

Hi,

Will anyone help me out with the tool cain and abel.....
Any suggestion on how to use it will be of great help

Kind Regards,
Summved
<<

SephStorm

Post Sat Jan 15, 2011 8:35 pm

I believe the answer to your question is above.
sectestanalysis.blogspot.com/‎

Return to Other