InfoSec Application for a smartphone?

<<

caissyd

Post Thu Dec 31, 2009 11:42 am

InfoSec Application for a smartphone?

I was wondering...

Pretty much everyone has a Blackberry or an iPhone these days. After a little search on Google, I couldn't find many information security applications for these devices. There is MiniStumbler, but pretty much all the other apps are for securing the smart phone itself.

So, what security-related application would you like on a smart phone? A sniffer, port scanner, WEP cracking tool, an IDS, a "netcat-like" tool? They would obviously be less powerful then their stand alone counterpart, but I wouldn't mind some of these tools on my Blackberry...

Let me know what you think!
OSCP, GPEN, GWAPT, GSEC, CEH, CISSP
(aka H1t.M0nk3y)
<<

Ketchup

Post Thu Dec 31, 2009 12:06 pm

Re: InfoSec Application for a smartphone?

I think that one of the largest issues with developing these tools for Palm and Blackberry devices is that they are closed-source.  The source code also changes too frequently.  I believe that people have gotten various tools to work on the iPhone and certainly Google-OS-based phones.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Ketchup
<<

caissyd

Post Thu Dec 31, 2009 12:28 pm

Thanks Ketchup,

But what about developing Java applications on Palms and Blackberries? We always have access to the source code. They can change the OS, but the JRE enables us to still run our code I think).

But regardless, what application would you like to see?
OSCP, GPEN, GWAPT, GSEC, CEH, CISSP
(aka H1t.M0nk3y)
<<

Ketchup

Post Thu Dec 31, 2009 1:01 pm

That's a good point, although Java runs like crap on my Palm phone.  It's limited to a max of 32K of RAM.  I am also not sure how close you would get to a network interface itself with Java.  The phone would also have to support wifi.  With all this said, I wouldn't mind seeing something like NMAP, perhaps a much lighter version. 
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Ketchup
<<

jason

Post Fri Jan 01, 2010 9:24 pm

<<

Laz3r

Post Sat Jan 02, 2010 11:48 pm

The android platform has some simple things available, like port scanners and little things like that.  There was an effort to port metasploit to android, but I haven't seen any news on that for a while now.  jason's link is a good one.  Thomas Wilhelm also did a talk at defcon on the same subject, which can be found here.  http://www.defcon.org/html/links/dc-arc ... ml#Wilhelm

Return to Programming