Who are reliable and trustworthy email providers?

<<

TMS

Post Sat Dec 19, 2009 8:08 pm

Who are reliable and trustworthy email providers?

(I'm a new member, so I'm not positive this is the best forum/category for my question, If it belongs elsewhere, I'd appreciate the feedback. ;-)

I am looking for a reliable & ethical commercial email provider to replace my free and oh-so-convenient (but black box) GMail accounts.  I have had important mail (even a email of intent for a job offer!) inexplicably become marked as spam on the gmail server so that my Thunderbird mail client didn't see it and so it didn't download to my PC.  This and other examples have led me to believe the issue is either Google incompetence or external tampering (the latter is a more-than-reasonable likelihood in my case).

Regardless, I would like to dump GMail while avoiding the random crapshoot of picking another email provider simply because they are returned by a search list or because I like their name. 

I don't care if the new provider is big or small, but I do want some confidence they will still be in business in the foreseeable future since I am an independent software contractor and rely on email contact for jobs.  I also don't want to face downtime or server-busy problems connecting and transferring mail.  And finally, regarding the ethical part, I would like to know that I could request a historical list of all my incoming and outgoing messages handled by their server(s) in order to compare with my client's incoming and outgoing messages, to ensure what I think was sent really was and that what I didn't get really wasn't received .... no more GMail's black holes ...

Thanks in advance.
<<

rattis

Post Mon Dec 21, 2009 4:10 pm

Re: Who are reliable and trustworthy email providers?

Probably just the *Nix admin in me coming out, but why not roll your own? I'm assuming you're running your own web page, if you control the server, you could set up your own mail. If not, it's a fun project.

Linux System Administration by Tom Adelstein and  Bill Lubanovic does a good job of taking you through what you need to know and how to run the system. the book is a little dated, but only in the OS and version numbers.
OSWP, Sec+
<<

TMS

Post Mon Dec 21, 2009 6:36 pm

Sigh, no web page, no web server, just me & my laptop traveling from job to job.  Since I never know where I'll be even on 1 given contract (over the past half-year here in Philly I've probably stayed in at least a 6 different places while working on the same job).  I rely on a Verizon PCI wireless modem, which is not the speediest little devil but connectivity is nearly always OK <except for that short stint in Michigan when the only reliable connection was that one spot at the picnic table in the back yard of a house where I was staying ;->

At one time I had Linux set up on an external USB hard drive, but I'm not sure I still know where that drive is ....
<<

rattis

Post Mon Dec 21, 2009 9:39 pm

There are some decent price web hosts out there. I've been told it looks more professional with your own domain name. You might be able to write off the costs, and it won't mater where you are, it'll mostly always be up.

Just a suggestion, and I could be wrong on the write off part.
OSWP, Sec+
<<

jason

Post Wed Dec 23, 2009 12:42 pm

One thing to consider if you're using a hosting company to run your email server is that you may eat up all of your allocated bandwidth filtering spam, particularly if you have a widely publicized email address. Some hosting companies really crank up the price per mb after you go over your limit for the month.

Return to Web Applications